Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brassmaster

ErikW

I shot a match yesterday with Limited ammo I loaded months ago and marked the extractor groove with a green marker. Turns out a shooter in the previous squad also had done the same, and a shooter in my squad had done the same. :angry: I don't want anybody else's brass! I don't want anybody else taking my brass!

Forunately, I now have a BrassMaster from HoserCam. I'm going to re-mark all of my previously loaded Limited ammo with it. I've been doing my Super ammo with it for a while, and those two stripes of different colors make the brass uniquely identifiable as mine. It also makes the brass much more visible on the ground and the squad-mates on brass duty return much more of my brass to me.

brassmasterdouble3.jpg

The over-engineered double-tapper and single-striper.

Erik, now you need a little visual cue for us (whoever's on brass), so we know what brass the shooter was using. :)

Something to say "40S&W, green/red". People that shoot with you often will know, but the other people on the squad (like me) never know. You'd probably get more back if people knew what to look for.

Since over 99% of the brass lands on its side, marking the side of the case makes it more identifiable among the garbage brass laying around. If you shoot at a range with grass like a well-groomed putting green and every case is picked up, then you might not need one. But it's the hot ticket for those of us who shoot at gravel ranges with leftover junk brass.

I can't get the ink to stick to the brass! Have tried three or four different marker types...!

To stick at all, or after tumbling?

I'm using a permanent marker (ok 2, red and black), seems to be ok, but I haven't tumbled yet

Yeah, and mark the outside of the case. :P

Marking with the BrassMaster takes about as long as marking the extractor groove. Just a twist of the cartridge between the thumb and forefinger. I just did 500 a while ago.

Tumbling removes the markings.

Since over 99% of the brass lands on its side, marking the side of the case makes it more identifiable among the garbage brass laying around. If you shoot at a range with grass like a well-groomed putting green and every case is picked up, then you might not need one. But it's the hot ticket for those of us who shoot at gravel ranges with leftover junk brass.

Yeah, you're right, but I can mark the ends lickety-split with just a couple of sharpies right after I gauge each 50 rounds.