Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please share some "major" loads using 231, 540, or N320

mt_goat

I have all the above listed powders and lots of 200g LSWC from my old USPSA days. I got the bug to shoot USPSA limited class again with my 45ACP.

I used to load for the old "major" PF, now I want to some ideas for loads to just make the new kinder, gentler "major". I have a chrono, but right now no place to shoot with it. Please help :cheers:

My old 45ACP match load was using 6.1g of 231 with Precision's 200g "Black" SWC. Seated to 1.247-1.253. This got me to about 185 PF on a warm day. Other minor details, I use R&P nickel brass, Win large pistol primers and shoot a 5" Baer match barrel (no compensator).

Thanks for any input.

Edited by mt_goat

I was shooting 5.7 gr of 231 w/ a 200 gr LSWC for a couple months last winter. Those made 170-ish PF from a 5" Kimber.

On a whim last April I decided to give Hodgdon Clays a try, and have stuck with it ever since. Seems a little 'softer' to me, and much much cleaner than 231.

Thank you! I'll try that, anyone else have some input? I have about 14 lbs of 540 I need to use up.

Sell that 540 to a skeet shooter for their 28ga reloads, it is a poor choice for 45acp. Try s1000, WST, Clays or Bullseye for much better results. Hope this helps, Kirby

Thank you! I'll try that, anyone else have some input? I have about 14 lbs of 540 I need to use up.

Sell that 540 to a skeet shooter for their 28ga reloads, it is a poor choice for 45acp. Try s1000, WST, Clays or Bullseye for much better results. Hope this helps, Kirby

540 is good in 40S&W and OK in 9mm.

Edited by RePete

540 is good in 40S&W and OK in 9mm.

Ok, good I need to load some 9mm standard loads too. I also load 38 super with it but haven't shot open class for a while.

Recon in this thread liked 540 for 45ACP: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83171 What seems to be the problem with it? Too slow?

• 2 weeks later...
I have all the above listed powders and lots of 200g LSWC from my old USPSA days. I got the bug to shoot USPSA limited class again with my 45ACP.

I

Since you left, the USPSA now has a Single-Stack Division. This will be a better choice for you and the .45acp than competing with the gamers over in Limited. You will be competitive in SS. If you can load 10 with extended mags, you might want to shoot Limited-10, but you will shoot against other shooters running race gear equipment.

Since you left, the USPSA now has a Single-Stack Division. This will be a better choice for you and the .45acp than competing with the gamers over in Limited. You will be competitive in SS. If you can load 10 with extended mags, you might want to shoot Limited-10, but you will shoot against other shooters running race gear equipment.

Thanks for the thought, but there's one problem...I don't have a single stack hehe.

My limited Para:

2092231870042310107S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My book shows 7.7 to 8.5 at 895 fps for 200 gr jacket 45.

For open I use 9 gr with 125 jhp 38 super.

To slow a burn rate for 9mm.

mda.