Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just so you folks know how they do things on the other side of the Big Pond, I've just returned from the Level III IPSC Indonesia Open Championships, which were held on the beautiful resort island of Bali, and here is a brief report.

All competitors and officials were billetted together at the 5-Star Hotel Sanur Beach which, as the name implies, is situated right on Sanur Beach, which is 15 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from world famous Kuta Beach. The hotel has five restaurants & two bars, and it offers a wide variety of water sports including snorkelling, scuba diving, wind surfing, para-gliding, water skiing, jet skiing and a fantastic lagoon swimming pool. They also have an incredible spa and massage service. The room rate was only US$34 per night.

Of course having all competitors and officials at a single hotel encourages the usual RO/competitor fellowship, and it also makes match administration much simpler.

The match fee of US$125 gave you 24 stages at a range located just 10 minutes from the hotel. Each stage was manned by one IROA official, two NROI officials and a number of "helpers", who handle collection of brass, taping, painting & resetting of targets and so on.

Free lunch was provided for all competitors and officials at the range during the "global" break (e.g. do you like satays?), and a free and unlimited supply of chilled bottled water was provided at each stage. Free transportation was also provided between the hotel and the range each day too. Competitors and officials also enjoyed a free (and truly sumptuous) buffet breakfast and buffet dinner at the hotel each day, washed down with a free and unlimited supply of beer.

None of the match sponsors - Lippo Bank, Sampoerna Tobacco, Suzuzi Motor Cycles, Hyundai, ICOM, Bintang Beer, a local TV station, Oakley etc. - were from the shooting industry, and this is quite an accomplishment.

Sounds good? Sorry you missed the match??

Well the next big match in Bali is the IPSC Level IV Australasian Handgun Championships to be held in November/December 2004, and it will also have 24 stages shot over 3 days. Additionally, there will also be a separate Level III Shotgun Match with another 16 stages shot over 2 days. You can shoot both matches and have 5 solid days of shooting, or you can pick your favorite and spend the rest of the time kicking back.

The actual match dates for 2004 are as follows:

25 Nov. : Pre Match Handgun

26 Nov. : Pre Match Handgun

27 Nov. : IPSC General Assembly

28 Nov. : Pre Match Shotgun and Opening Ceremony

29 Nov. : Main Match Handgun

30 Nov. : Main Match Handgun

01 Dec. : Main Match Handgun

02 Dec. : Main Match Shotgun

03 Dec. : Main Match Shotgun

04 Dec. : Shoot Off (Handgun & Shotgun), Awarding & Closing Ceremony

Full details will be uploaded to the IPSC Indonesia website in due course. If you're interested in attending, start making your plans now because, given the formula used this year, we expect this match will be popular.

Important note: In order to observe IPSC protocol, intending competitors must have their applications for registration at any IPSC Sanctioned Level III or higher match endorsed by their Regional Director.

Tightloop,

Yes, there was a terrorist bomb attack in Bali in 2002, but is Bali the only place in the world to experience terrorism? If not, I think it's unreasonable for you to dampen the positive tone of my post by mentioning an isolated incident of terrorism.

In any case, acts of terrorism and other forms of violence are extremely rare in Bali, so nobody feels the need to take any extraordinary security precautions.

Twix,

Bali is the island, Denpasar is the city, and the airport code is DPS. The Indonesian national carrier is Garuda, but many other international airlines fly there too. For more general information about Bali, see this or this website.

Rhino,

No, "free" means "free".

The match fee went to the Match Organisers to defray the cost of importing the Range Officials and other match expenses. The various meals and drinks were supplied "free" by the sponsors, who have promised to do the same next year.

Vinnie,

I think you know I'm interested in IPSC on the World level. However, ME traveling to Indonesia?? Well..... I'm not sure if I look like more a Classic or Metric target, but it sure seems like I would look like one of those targets..... :ph34r:

Then again, maybe I watch too much CNN HLN....

Not that my wife would let me go alone, and I'm not sure if I can spring her free to go with me, but that to me sounds like the ultimate vacation. You know, for a married IPSC shooter with kids.

My immediate thoughts to Tightloop and BDH are: Wouldn't it be kind of stupid to try and terrorize a bunch of IPSC shooters? My second thought is, I guess if you are a suicide bomber it really doesn't matter. It sure would be fun to watch you run if you pulled the fuse on a dud though.

Plastique=$1500

Suicide bomber=- $30,000 to family from terrorist sponsor

Dud fuse= $0

Look on Bombers face when 100 IPSC shooters draw down on him=Priceless.

Uncle Vinny,

That match sounds awesome! I think I have finals that week of Dec. in 2004, though. Do you think they could reschedule it over our U.S. Thanksgiving week, or perhaps move ahead a week or so?

Thanks. [/Word Revolves Around Me Mode Off]

The only thing that could possibly be missing is stats babes in sarongs. That sounds like a match where you plan on staying a week after.

Eric,

Dammit. I knew I forgot to mention something - the dozen or so Bintang Beer Promo Girls - most definitely Eye Candy ;)

Sadly they cannot change the dates because the match has to be slotted in after the 2004 elections and between the Hindu New Year and Xmas and even a week earlier or later causes conflicts.

BDH,

Come on down - it's a Level IV and it will be a great experience for you. In fact, why not drag Arnie and Denise along with you? We can always use an extra 3 good people.

If you work the match, you'll be entitled to additional RO benefits such as free accommodation and (probably) US$500 towards your airfare. I'm not the MD or RM, so I can't guarantee you a slot or state the exact nature of the benefits yet, but I'll certainly add your name to the list of "interested parties" if you like.

My immediate thoughts to Tightloop and BDH are: Wouldn't it be kind of stupid to try and terrorize a bunch of  IPSC shooters?

People transporting unloaded guns in locked cases make excellent targets. :( The threat of terroist actions may be slim, but there are a lot of other, more mundane risks. Any time you have to be among large groups of people with no means to defend yourself, it's a bad thing. Some people choose to accept those risks, or worse either ignore them or are ignorant of them, but . . . not this pachyderm. Given that I won't even go to Illinois because I can't carry there, the chances of me going somewhere like Indonesia are somewhere between the chance of me making GM in all divisions in the next six months and . . . zero.

But it does sounds like a cool match! ;)

Rhino,

The unfortunate fact of life these days is that nowhere is 100% safe against terrorism and, frankly, having a gun on your person for defense against a terrorist attack is about as useful as a Swiss Army knife at a gun fight.

No, I don't take unnecessary risks but, on the other hand, I'm not going to let the remote possibility that I might one day be in the wrong place at the wrong time stop me from enjoying IPSC matches and the associated fellowship with hundreds of fantastic people from all over the world.

I've attended IPSC matches in "dangerous" places such as Papua New Guinea, Venezuela, Brazil, the southern Philippines and Sri Lanka, but the only time I ever felt threatened (by a gang of bikers) was in my beautiful home town of Sydney, Australia.

Despite the horror of terrorism, chances are that you are more likely to die a premature death by driving your car in your own neighbourhood, and I've personally had numerous "close calls" when I used to ride motor bikes in Hong Kong.

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift and I certainly don't mean to dismiss your concerns - each to his own.

However for terrorism to work, it needs me to be terrified but, dammit, this old boy refuses to comply.

BDH,

Come on down - it's a Level IV and it will be a great experience for you. In fact, why not drag Arnie and Denise along with you? We can always use an extra 3 good people.

If you work the match, you'll be entitled to additional RO benefits such as free accommodation and (probably) US$500 towards your airfare. I'm not the MD or RM, so I can't guarantee you a slot or state the exact nature of the benefits yet, but I'll certainly add your name to the list of "interested parties" if you like.

Vince,

Hey, thanks for the invite. It's far enough out that I certainly 'could' work it in (of course, it would be a little easier to calculate vacation time etc., if I knew when our big US matches were going to be held next year, but that is a different issue).

I'll kind of keep this in the back of my mind, but it's still probably a long shot. Just not sure I'd be comfortable heading to Indonesia. Also, if business doesn't pick up soon, the most exotic locale I may be traveling to next year could be Barry, Illinois.... :o

Vince,

Arnie and I just may be able to attend this match. Arnie will be retiring Nov. 1, 2004 and I will be celebrating a birthday during the match dates. That leaves us plenty of time to come and play. :P

Brian,

My brother was working in Jakarta for a while and to my knowledge had no trouble of any kind to report.

The unfortunate fact of life these days is that nowhere is 100% safe against terrorism and, frankly, having a gun on your person for defense against a terrorist attack is about as useful as a Swiss Army knife at a gun fight.

That's why I was talking about other, more mundane threats, as indicated by the part of my messages where I said:

. . . The threat of terroist actions may be slim, but there are a lot of other, more mundane risks.

Given that, not all "terrorism" involves bombs. The lone shooter "terrorist" is not uncommon in many areas of the world, and as we've seen in Israel, a grandmother with a pistol is more than capable of solving the problem. Being armed gives you at least some chance of responding to many types of threats that exist EVERYWHERE to some extent . . . it gives you options you would not otherwise have. I prefer to live my life that way, but your mileage may vary.

Sorry for the thread drift . . . it really does sound like a nice match.

Arnie,

Yes Sir, you've been ordered by the Jedi Council to bring young Denise to Bali next year for her birthday, but don't worry about her safety, OK?

While you're at the range working the match, I'll make sure Denise is protected, 'coz I'll surround her with dozens of the little ballistic umbrellas they serve with Pina Coladas, which Denise and I will be drinking by the pool as we discuss er, um, ah, oh yeah, IPSC Rules.

Vince,

I am sure you must know that young Denise would much rather spend the day working the match so she can get those four IROA points rather than accumulating all those umbrellas from the foo foo drinks. Nonetheless, I will see what we can do to attend the match and, of course, all the requisite festivities in the evening. B)

Arnie