Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Dig The Train

benos

I've lived "on the tracks" (train lingo) now for close to four years. Yea, even though it is a tad loud, you develop a certain fondness for the dishes rattling in the cupboards, the diesel fuel smell that follows the cars matter how long the train goes on. And I especially enjoy watching folks in their cars, on their bikes, or pacing around the sidewalk, waiting to get on with life. Which was the inspiration for the awesome train sculpture made by local ("found objects") artist, Rogell. I told him I wanted that wall to communicate the message "the train stops everything." That's what's so awesome about it.

Trains are the shit. And Rogell's the shit.

signal.down.jpg

Train's a comin'!

trains.jpg

There she is...

train.UP.jpg

This was a good (lucky) shot, with the Union Pacific logo just above the sculpture.

The local nickname for my place is the "Rail House." Which is cool because the original structure was built in the 30's as a layover station for UP railroad employees. Then in later years the original structure was added to twice, bringing it up to its current configuration.

be

Now, that IS outstanding! Very, very cool. Wow.

My grandfather was the sole evening shift telegrapher in a small agro-valley California town when I was a kid, and I often visited the station on summer nights and helped him prepare the paper message notes for non-stop trains that came thru regularly. (Remember those spring-loaded strung bows that the engineer stuck his arm thru to pick up the message without stopping the train...?)(bear in mind this was rural CA before too many cellphones and such). Either way, the trains were close by and made for a culture all their own... and it was only a block to the station which was sorta near the little Mexican bar that seemed mysterious but played interesting loud music... ;)