Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it legal to add an extended mag tube to a Benelli M2 or M4?

mp-44

• 1 month later...

Depends on whether they have the pistol grip stock or for field stock. My understanding (and I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a holiday inn) is that if they have a PG stock, other parts needs to be replaced to meet the needed US parts count. With a field stock, no worries.

Or would it make the shotgun NON 922R compliant?

Regardless of the stock used it would make it non-922R compliant.

You can add enough US made parts to make it compliant or cheaper yet register it on a Form 1 as a short-barreled shotgun ($200). Once you have your tax stamp you can then run it with whatever barrel length and mag tube, collapsible stock, pistol grip stock (if you want).

Registering it as a short-barreled shotgun removes it from the 922R thing because short-barreled shotguns aren't importable. If you do make it a short-barreled shotgun on a Form 1, after getting approved and getting your tax stamp back you would then have to do a Form 5320.20 form to take it out of state, however these can be done for up to one year.

Or would it make the shotgun NON 922R compliant?

Regardless of the stock used it would make it non-922R compliant.

You can add enough US made parts to make it compliant or cheaper yet register it on a Form 1 as a short-barreled shotgun ($200). Once you have your tax stamp you can then run it with whatever barrel length and mag tube, collapsible stock, pistol grip stock (if you want).

Registering it as a short-barreled shotgun removes it from the 922R thing because short-barreled shotguns aren't importable. If you do make it a short-barreled shotgun on a Form 1, after getting approved and getting your tax stamp back you would then have to do a Form 5320.20 form to take it out of state, however these can be done for up to one year.

I would only add that the SBS route will limit the places you can take the gun... SBS are illegal in many states including CA ( :surprise: ) . Check the part count, as I suspect you could get there with an M2 by replacing the furniture, mag parts and muzzle device (choke tubes). Clearly a lot of other people are doing it, as there are a lot of hicap Benellis out on the match circuit :rolleyes: . 922r is just one more reason to "say no" to spaghetti guns and embrace the Remington :roflol: .

Edited by StealthyBlagga

From my understanding it is legal to put on a magazine extension if the shotgun does not have a pistol grip or telescoping stock.

You can not import a shotgun or make a shotgun from imported parts if it falls under this definition:

(d) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds, and

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/

Edited by jtielke

From my understanding it is legal to put on a magazine extension if the shotgun does not have a pistol grip or telescoping stock.

You can not import a shotgun or make a shotgun from imported parts if it falls under this definition:

(d) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds, and

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/

But there's still that 10 part thing ??

But there's still that 10 part thing ??

The 10 part thing or 922r compliance is only if you modify the shotgun into a non-sporting configuration. If the shotgun only has 1 of those 4 features above it is still considered usable for sporting purposes and can be imported. 922r says you can't change an imported shotgun into a non-importable configuration, meaning having 2 or more of those features. If you have fewer than 10 of the major imported parts on your gun it is no longer considered an imported gun and you can add all the features you like. This is all how I understand it.

922r

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

925(d)(3) is the importation regulation I listed above. If you add an extended mag tube to a regular stocked Benelli that would not bar it from importation so you can add it after importation.

You can't have more than 10 of these original parts imported on a non-compliant shotgun. Benelli's do not have all 20 parts listed here to begin with, so if you change a few out with US made parts you can have a pistol grip, extended tube, and telescoping stock if you want.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

• 4 weeks later...

How does Tom Knapp get around 922r when travelling all over the place as a pro shooter for Benelli. He has at least a 9 shot tube on his Benelli. Seems he knows something we dont. I revive this thread because Im trying to build up a Benelli and grow confused over the 922r topic.

How does Tom Knapp get around 922r when travelling all over the place as a pro shooter for Benelli. He has at least a 9 shot tube on his Benelli. Seems he knows something we dont. I revive this thread because Im trying to build up a Benelli and grow confused over the 922r topic.

I bet the good folks at Nordic can help you. They would not be selling the part they sell if they were not legal.

I talked with the Technical Director for BATF (the guy who enforces those rules with MFG's) and he was actually working to repeal that code. I got the impression that they would only enforce that if you were already in hot water (another count to pile on the list) and were not out looking for violators.