Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Firing Pin???

Jasonub

The only thing I have read about Ti firing pins was written for Highpower Rifle shooters. Glen Zediker, in "The Competitive AR-15" wrote that Ti firing pins will actually burn if you should burst a primer and hot gasses go into the firing pin hole. The burning will result in a "raggedy" surface on the part of the pin that strikes the primer, and the pin will then have a tendency to pierce even more primers.

Of course, since we're working with pistols, and the pressure is substantially lower, you're pretty unlikely to pierce a primer, so it may not be a problem at all. I would think you would get more decrease in your lock time by using a Ti strut and a very light hammer, though, just because those parts are more massive than a firing pin anyway. Probably can't hurt, unless you plan to burst some primers.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

The smaller diameter Ti firing pin that came with my Springfield, acutally caused me problems and I had to go switch it out for a regular SS. I run one in my Rem 700 Speedlock, can't tell a difference. I also run one in my G34; there I would say if you are running light striker springs the lighter FP give more consistent ignition.

Experimentation is good, give it a try; I have. My opinion is generally they're not worth the money, but someone must like them.

<_< Ti will be better in a .45, my gunsmith said ti firing pins are too brittle in a .40 due to increased pressure. Of course hes talking wrap-speed many rounds downrange. IM not that fast yet i put my monies towards more rounds. Any thoughts guys?

Springfield uses Ti firing pins to pass the CA drop test without a firing pin block. AFAIK, there's no other advantage to using one.

So does Wilson. Agreed on the relative advantages (if you're gonna drop your gun, you might want that Ti FP as an additional level of safety against becoming a contender for a Darwin Award).

I have one in my Edge. The only reason I do is to lighten the slide as much as possible. I weighed both a standard and a Ti pin and there really wasn't that much difference between the two. But I have to think that ANY reduction in weight on a slide moving that fast should make the gun more controllable. I honestly can't say that I can notice a difference between the two while firing. But to me, it seems logical that if I want to reduce weight in my slide then I need to lighten anything possible (even if it is a slight reduction in weight). Just my two cents.

Jack

• 4 years later...