Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best AR15/Rifle Compensator/Brake?

Why the surefire over the PWS FSC556 in tactical? It is a flash suppressor and muzzle break. Not any other muzzle break is gonna do that. Granted surefire can be fitted with a can but the can is not what is being voted on.

Also what do yall think would be the best brake on a 10.5" that wont knock out my fillings?

As a "brake" the Surefire is a really works, up there with the best of them, Cooley,Hill, etc..

Why the surefire over the PWS FSC556 in tactical? It is a flash suppressor and muzzle break. Not any other muzzle break is gonna do that. Granted surefire can be fitted with a can but the can is not what is being voted on.

Also what do yall think would be the best brake on a 10.5" that wont knock out my fillings?

Because muzzle breaks are not tactical ;) The Noveske really is the best for the shooter of a 10.5, but it is heavy and doesn't have much 'break' to it. All depends on what you want it to do....

A

I'm just a little curious as to the intent of the poll? Is it about which one is best or which one is most widely used. Because the two are far different from each other.

It seems to me as the poll is about which one is most widely used. Which still does not tell me which one is the best. The closest thing I have seen to date is Pat Kelley's article in Front Sight. But still to me is not a die hard answer of the best. But very good intentions on collecting scientific data. Best can very much involve subjective opinion and most of the time does. I test comps on my competition rifles to get comparisons. That is my constant. It doesn't always mean the same comp will work the same way every time on someone elses rifle and load. There are variables that can easily change results.

If it were about which one was best......every voter would have to have knowledge of all other comps available on the market. I don't think that is the case with this poll.

I personally took interest in muzzle brake design when I started shooting 3 gun a few years ago and since have purchased or acquired just about every brake available. And also started making some of my own design. I have yet to shoot anything better than an SJC Titan as far as a comp that shoots flat no matter how fast or how many times you pull the trigger and it reduces recoil to nothing.(and yes I know the 223 has little to no recoil). But nothing is better than a little something in competition(in terms of recoil anyway). The biggest negative is the bark it has. It is the most excruciating bark I have heard from a comp in 223. But I'm willing to accept that since the other benefits seem to outweigh the volume. The Titan in 308 is even far more impressive. I will not hide the fact that the Titan is the best comp for me and I therefore tend to recommend it to anyone that asks. But I feel good knowing I have tested it against pretty much every other comp on the market to back up my recommendation.

I personally took interest in muzzle brake design when I started shooting 3 gun a few years ago and since have purchased or acquired just about every brake available. And also started making some of my own design. I have yet to shoot anything better than an SJC Titan as far as a comp that shoots flat no matter how fast or how many times you pull the

The Titan is a hell of a good comp!

It's also a great comp to use if you dont like the RO or the bystanders !! ;)

The other big flash hider that's missing from this list is the Vortex style. They are definitely a good choice for SHTF as they eliminate flash almost 100% every time..

A

you got that right. we shot a smith vortex and a noveske side by side out of identical 10.5 inch DPMS rifles with the same Federal FMJ ammo. The noveske threw a big flame out the front. The vortex just seemed to blow the fire out. In the dark(SHTF), the flash matters.

Jay

The Cooley comp worked well on the JP Upper I sold to my shooting buddy.

I have one on my 16" DPMS. It is miserably loud. I also use this gun for hunting (small hogs) and made the mistake of shooting it without hearing protection (I know). Seems like I instanting had an headache and could not hear out of one ear for like a day and a half. Since the Cooley comp (bought from JP Rifles) cam with shims that I used but still could not get in to index right, I would probably go with a quieter (if there is one) option if I had to do it again.

There are varying degrees of loudness in brakes. Some are barely louder than an A2 flashhider, and work badly as a comp. Some are very effective as a comp, but seem to be the loudest (to sthe shooter). Finding the perfect compromise for noise and effectiveness, is to some, the holy grail quest of brakes.

So yes, questions of which is loudest or the least obnoxious is relevant to this discussion.

Edited by sfinney

I'm sorry, but I don't see it as being revelant to being used as a "3 gun" item. Regardless of if you have a simple crown, a bird cage, or the loudest of the three, a comp, it's going to be loud enough to cause hearing problems/loss. You shouldn't use them with out hearing protection. This is coming from a shooter, who due to shooting a lot as a youth with no protection, and the accumulated damage from doing over 1000 dives for the Navy, has permanent tenninitis. It never stops ringing, never goes away, ever, never. When you lie in bed at night trying to go to sleep, there is this ringing sound that never stops. You can't turn it down or off. So my point is, every model of comp is different. Some are louder, and some are not as loud. Notice I didn't say "quieter", they are all loud. Protect your ears! The damage is permanent. Don't be upset because a comp is loud, as that is usually what causes them to be effective is the direction of the gas ports. It ain't rocket science (actually in a way it is). Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude at all, but don't be shocked because an AR is loud with a comp. My vette would be loud if I ran it with straight headers, right? Of course it would.

I just purchased another SAW Custom brake for three gun. Two reasons, it works very well, and Henry stands behind his stuff. For Tactical gotta say AAC Blackout because my suppressor mounts to it.

There are a host of factors which apply in deciding what is the best comp for "you":

1. Weight and size. If it is for an open gun you can go big but if for tactical you have a limit.

2. Barrel Length. There are those who think one size fits all. I disagree.

3. Noise. What good is a comp to tame muzzle flip and recoil if the blast in your face or ears induces a flinch.

4. Recoil system. Matching a comp to a recoil system is akin to putting the correct engine and transmission together.

5. Iron sights or scope. You will not notice a less efficient brake on iron sights.

6. If using a scope, magnification. If you use an 1x dot you are not going to notice muzzle rise as much as if you are using a scope set to 4x.

And I am sure there are some of you that can think of others. What I am saying is that while like beauty it is all a matter of opinion, the opinions are shaped by specific needs. Of course this sport is famous for the average shooters buying lots of things they do not "need" but that is likely an entirely different thread.