Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 mag springs

Dan Hefta

Last weekend at one of our MN Points Series matches my trusty G34 wasn't trusty anymore, I was getting double feeds sometimes, at first I thought it was a FTE but it was double feeding, I believe this condition was caused by weak mag springs, any imputs would be appreciated, I have new springs ordered.

Same here-my mag springs died suddenly (one match they worked-then they didn't). I thought this was odd-all my other weapons just slowly increased failures until I figured out what the problem was, but my 10 round Glock springs just gave up all at once. I replaced the followers at the same time.

Same here-my mag springs died suddenly (one match they worked-then they didn't). I thought this was odd-all my other weapons just slowly increased failures until I figured out what the problem was, but my 10 round Glock springs just gave up all at once. I replaced the followers at the same time.

I've got all 17rd mags, so I thought that the springs would be ok forever, being that I never put more than 10 rounds in them. I think it is the 100's of times I have loaded them and unloaded them that is causing the issue.

I've got all 17rd mags, so I thought that the springs would be ok forever, being that I never put more than 10 rounds in them. I think it is the 100's of times I have loaded them and unloaded them that is causing the issue.

Exactly, it is fatigue that wears out magazine springs. If the spring is sized properly for the application, compressing it when loading the mag should be in the elastic range of the spring (non permanent deformation), so simply loading a mag and letting is set will not wear out the spring. The numerous cycles of loading unloading of the spring is what wears them out.

Exactly, it is fatigue that wears out magazine springs. If the spring is sized properly for the application, compressing it when loading the mag should be in the elastic range of the spring (non permanent deformation), so simply loading a mag and letting is set will not wear out the spring.

My carry gun Glock 23 mags, that I leave loaded for extended periods, are the first to go soft.

Exactly, it is fatigue that wears out magazine springs. If the spring is sized properly for the application, compressing it when loading the mag should be in the elastic range of the spring (non permanent deformation), so simply loading a mag and letting is set will not wear out the spring.

My carry gun Glock 23 mags, that I leave loaded for extended periods, are the first to go soft.

Notice I said "If the the spring is sized properly". If the spring is getting compressed past it's elastic limit when the magazine is fully loaded all bets are off in terms of spring rate, free height, and fatigue life.

ETA: This means that there would be plastic (permanent) deformation and the free height of the spring will change.

Edited by Brian_in_Pullman

I used to shoot airguns a lot, and bought a gas piston gun because it was well known among airgunners that if you left a spring piston gun cocked too long it would lose power. They even tested it by keeping various guns (high quality expensive guns) cocked for various periods of time and found a consistent loss of velocity the longer the spring was compressed. Results of the test can be seen here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showpost.p...amp;postcount=7

The following article has some information about spring weakening due to creep and stress relaxation with prolonged loading beneath the springs yield point.

http://www.lesjoforsab.com/technical-infor.../durability.asp

So yes, magazine springs will weaken if left loaded for long periods. The longer the period the more it will weaken.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on my gun problem, I hate to admit it but it wasn't my trusty G34 afterall, it was the wimpy reloads I was making. I bumped up the powder a bit and my G34 rocks once again. Just an FYI

I would still replace the springs for added insurance.

I did replace all of my 10 mags with brand new springs, and I still had issues, that's when I started looking at ammo problems, as I said before I bumped up the powder and I am in buisness again.

• 1 month later...

Quick question(s)...

I'm shooting production, so I'm using stock base pads for my magazines.

Is it still ok to use the +10% mag springs with the stock base pads?

Also, what advantage do the +10% springs have over stock sized springs?Obviously they give you greater pressure on the rounds and follower in the mag, but you should replace your mag springs every year or so many rounds. So, why not just use the stock sized springs?

Please enlighten me...

Thanks.

I don't see a need to run +10% springs when shooting Production (10rounds) in normal capacity mags. In the reduced capacity mags, they'd likely be a bad idea even...since those mags are so tight to start with.

If you start adding +5 and +10 basepads...you might like the extra strong springs to help lift the additional load of bullets.

FWIW, I have six 10-rd Glock mags for practice, and a big bunch of 17-rounders that I use only for matches.

The 10-round mag springs have to be replaced about once a year or I'll start getting double feeds. I haven't had a single problem with any of my match mags, some of which are over three years old. When I checked, the oldest have springs that are about a coil or more shorter than brand new springs, but I still don't have problems with them.

I think, in most people's experience, 10-rounders are a lot more troublesome overall. I know I've had to mix and match followers to get them to work reliably and they are much more sensitive to spring tension...I have at least one mag that will not work perfectly unless the new springs get a little wear on 'em. There's a reason I save them for practice.

As Flex said, no reason for +10% springs unless you're running the extended basepads.

Curtis

Wanted to add one more thing: sometimes stronger isn't better when it comes to springs.

The mag springs, the recoil spring and the slide velocity all need to be balanced to work in unison for smooth feeding and extraction. And as you found, softer loads can result in slower slide velocity that can cause problems. Making spring changes can cover problems elsewhere...or cause 'em.

Curtis

FWIW, I have six 10-rd Glock mags for practice, and a big bunch of 17-rounders that I use only for matches.

The 10-round mag springs have to be replaced about once a year or I'll start getting double feeds. I haven't had a single problem with any of my match mags, some of which are over three years old. When I checked, the oldest have springs that are about a coil or more shorter than brand new springs, but I still don't have problems with them.

I think, in most people's experience, 10-rounders are a lot more troublesome overall. I know I've had to mix and match followers to get them to work reliably and they are much more sensitive to spring tension...I have at least one mag that will not work perfectly unless the new springs get a little wear on 'em. There's a reason I save them for practice.

As Flex said, no reason for +10% springs unless you're running the extended basepads.

Curtis

That's interesting because I have been using the same 12 10-round mags exclusively for matches since 2006 and I've never had an issue (I probably will now). What followers gave you problems?

Replacing your springs as needed with the Wolff extra power ones seem to be an excellent way to either get back, or maintain, reliability. I thought that I heard that Glock Inc may have begun using 11 coil springs in their newer mags, but I do not know this for sure.

Hello: I have some Glock mags that are very old and they still work fine. If I was going to change the sprinmg in the mags I would use Glock factory springs or ISMI springs. I see no reason to use stronger springs since I cut the springs shorter so they hold more rounds :cheers: Thanks, Eric