Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a new utility knife

I've just about given up trying to find my old pocket utility knife. It wasn't much - a Benchmade Mini-Ambush - but it worked just fine for me. So, the question is what do I get to replace it with. I could buy another one for under $50, but I figure I'd ask around as there have to be a thousand knives in this price range to choose from.

My only criteria is that the knife has to have a pocket clip, the blade has to be less than 3", it has to be easy to sharpen, and it has to be relatively low cost.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I like the Kershaw Ken Onion design spring assist knives. I mainly carry the 1660 which has a 3" blade, but I also have a 1620 which has a 2 1/4" blade. I like the spring assist with the finger sweep open feature. They make alot of different blade configurations if you want partial serrations, etc. I use a lansky sharpener, and they take an edge easily.

Randy

My only criteria is that the knife has to have a pocket clip, the blade has to be less than 3", it has to be easy to sharpen, and it has to be relatively low cost.

Sounds a little weird, but if you are using it for general box opening and light cutting

consider one of the knives that use a utility knife blade. Bought one at Wally World

for <$10. "Shefield" brand? Aluminum/stainless construction, lock-back action, and

VERY easy to keep sharp---just change the blade. Good pocket clip on it.

yep, get one of the box cutter locking folders, bout 10 bucks most anywhere,

Got one of those, but I'm looking for something with a little more class. I use the word utility rather poorly here - I just want to distinguish from the fact that I'm not looking for a self-defense knife. Just a reasonably priced general purpose knife.

As to the Kershaw Leek - that looks interesting. Not sure I like the smooth grip but... As to the opening, since it opens with a flip of a button, what keeps it from opening in your pocket by accident?

yep, get one of the box cutter locking folders, bout 10 bucks most anywhere,

Got one of those, but I'm looking for something with a little more class. I use the word utility rather poorly here - I just want to distinguish from the fact that I'm not looking for a self-defense knife. Just a reasonably priced general purpose knife.

As to the Kershaw Leek - that looks interesting. Not sure I like the smooth grip but... As to the opening, since it opens with a flip of a button, what keeps it from opening in your pocket by accident?

You can get the knife with all sorts of different grips. I believe there is a variation with a texture like stippling(a larger knife though). The knife is spring assist opening. There is no button to open it. There is a thumb stud on the blade that you can push against to overcome the spring tension that is holding the blade closed. I do not like this a ton since if you follow the stud while the blade opens, your thumb is pretty close to the sharp blade. What I like is on the bottom side of knife while closed there is a raised/serrated bump that you can sweep with your finger, and this will overcome the spring tension and the knife will snap open. Both the thumb stud and the finger bump are protected enough to keep them from being hit accidentally.

Edited to add that there is also a sliding lock that keeps the knife from opening at all while locked. I have owned several of these knives, and I always remove the lock as I do not want it to lock inadvertantly. If you are not concerned about using the knife for self defense, than leave the lock in place.

http://www.kershawknives.com/knifetech.php...p;brand=kershaw Link to a description of how the knife opens.

Hope this helps

Randy

Edited by h2osport

I have one of those razor blade box cutter lock blades with Rose wood handles, I call it my "Sunday go to meeting" knife.

But for an actual knife I am very fond of the Bench made griptilian non serrated D2 tool steel knife, Cabelas has them with the D2 tool steel upgrade. Think they are about $89 a couple different sizes are available.

My favorite knife brand is Gerber. I own a lot of Gerber knives and the quality is very good.

Some of my favorite Gerber folding knives:

Gerber Paraframe I - Black Serrated

G08445.gif

Length open = 7"

Blade length = 3"

Weight = 2.70 ounces

Materials = Surgical stainless steel blade, 314 grade stainless steel handle, Black titanium nitrate finish.

With Belt clip.

Gerber EVO™ Jr. Fine Edge

22-01492-open_RGBm.jpgEVOClosed.jpg

Overall Length: 6.35"

Length Closed: 3.6"

Blade Length: 2.75"

Weight: 1.8 oz.

Available in Fine Edge and Serrated

Gerber E-Z-Out Junior Serrated Clip Point w/ Pocket Clip

06551_lg.jpg

Length = 5.500 inches

Blade Length = 2.375 inches

Weight = 1.7 ounces

Materials = Stainless Steel Blade, Zytel®/Kraton® Handle

Check out www.gerberstore.com to find more exelent knifes from Gerber.

Edited by Indijan

I was just looking at the selection of Kershaw Ken Onion knives and spotted one called the "Needs Work" (model 1820). It's certainly ugly, but it looks like a well designed blade and the price is only around $35.

I really like the design on the Leek Tanto as well, but the price is starting to push up around $70 on those. But I did find one place that has one version for around $63. Tempting.

Dollar for dollar CRKT is hard to beat. I've got at least one knife from most all the big brands, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, SOG, Cold Steel, etc, etc and for the money I don't see any of them being "better" if you're looking for a utility knife. R,

I've just about given up trying to find my old pocket utility knife. It wasn't much - a Benchmade Mini-Ambush - but it worked just fine for me. So, the question is what do I get to replace it with. I could buy another one for under $50, but I figure I'd ask around as there have to be a thousand knives in this price range to choose from.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I really like my CRKT M21-02 it has been a great utility knife :cheers: and it fits your criteria.

Donald