Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If I were to make an s_i mag that worked

Sean Gaines

Lets say I were to make some mags on my own, and they worked, and I were to sell them, would it be illegal. There are lots of aftermarket magazines makers out there. I was just curious about the legalities of such.

Check out the latest issue of Front Sight for some info on the federal regulations surrounding the manufacturing of gun parts & accessories - other than that, you'd have to look into state regs and tax liabilities. I know almost nothing about the subject though.

Lets say I were to make some mags on my own, and they worked, and I were to sell them, would it be illegal. There are lots of aftermarket magazines makers out there. I was just curious about the legalities of such.

Heck I sp-ent the past hour trying to find magazines for sale, aside from some STi staniless steel repops at $100.00 a throw, NO Luck..

Doesn't Safariland make magazines anylonger???

<_<

Heck I sp-ent the past hour trying to find magazines for sale, aside from some STi staniless steel repops at $100.00 a throw, NO Luck..

Doesn't Safariland make magazines anylonger???

<_<

Just curious <_< what mags were you looking for?

There are few truly valid patents with regards to firearms and magazines, so short of faking a trademark, pretty much anything you make that works is marketable.

All to often we get caught up in the thrill of design and marketing a unique product. The reality is that there are very few truly new ideas, systems, or designs. Most items that are patented do nothing for the patent holder but enrich the lawyers. The time, effort, and money spent on most patents would be better spent getting more of the best product to market quickly. Anything work copying, will be copied. The only defence is to build early loyalty.

I think you can make more money selling hi cap mags

than regular mags - seem to be few people making them

reliable - I've bought three 170 mm mags for my 9mm

major TruBor and none of them has worked reliably.

I'm working with three other "customizers" to find one that works.

I need it for the National Open Match in September and giving

myself a 50:50 odds on getting one out of six that works in time.

Jack

There is not a general patent on the concept of a double-stack magazine. They've been around since what, the Browning High Power? Patents are only enforceable for ~20 years.

There might be some things around methods of manufacture and or specific shapes or spring/follower designs. You'd want a patent attorney to work that out for sure. As far as I know there aren't any patents around the STI/SV mags in particular (Btw the main STI patent expires in... 2011 ;) It does not cover magazines)

I'm working with three other "customizers" to find one that works.

I think Dean Makkos was shooting 9mm Major with 170mm SPS magazines. His seemed to work when I shot with him at Montana 2 years back.

Do you know how to get in touch with Dean Makkos?

Jack