Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old school 45 Single stack Comp Gun?

I have been away playing at other things for quite a few years. And now I have gotten the itch to shoot some IPSC matches again..

My two choices for firearms are a 45 Old school race gun, with a comp.. Or my Point Dot'ed 38 Super, equally old school and likewise a single stack gun????

I have a couple of matches coming up, right now I guess I'll just bring a huge bag full of mags, and hose, reload and pray I hit something ???

:ph34r:

One of our local shooters occasionally drags out his old singlestack .45 comp gun and runs in Open. Last time he was 2nd Open and 2nd high overall for the match.

Reloads need to be crisp!

Anything with a optic and/or a comp goes into Open division. Most in Open run some variant of a 9/38 Super loaded to 165+ power factor in a double wide gun...mags up to 170mm long.

10 round mags would do you good. Our host sells the Wilson version <click here> and Chip McCormick offers a 10 round Power Mag.

You'd be doing a couple extra reloads on field courses, but so what... Head on out and have some fun.

Oh...and you'd be good to go in Steel Challenge. B)

Single stack .38 Super would make a good Steel gun.

Joe W.

I bought a single stack Super specifically for shooting steel. I love it, and if you can find some steel matches in your area you've got an ideal gun for that sport.

Do we need a vintage division?

Some of the most beautiful open blasters were from that 1989-1993 with iron sites.

Or, am I just a hopeless romantic!

FM

How about a Steve Nastoff dual port 45 with Bomars and 30 lpi checkering built on a 70 series Colt? That would get me wet and drippy....Kirby

I had 2 Wilson's back in the day. A single stack 45 and super both. Both had the single port comp and were Metaloy finished (looked like a matte stainless) with Cocobolo grips. They would run all day long, shoot groups better than me, and were what I considered some of the best looking guns I have ever seen. And like an idiot, I sold them both.

pingun003.jpg

My pin gun, built one of the early Kimber 1911s. Sweet shooting gun and heck I even used it when I started USPSA back about 2003. lol I got REALLY good at mag changes on those long 30+ round field stages. :roflol:

Joe W

That's an old school gun. :wub:

I ordered it in 1984 and tool delivery in 1986. B)

The beavertail is maybe Safari Arms?? I think there was only one or two brands back then. Steve cut it for a higher grip. I can take more pics of the beavertail if you want them. Or I can bring it to Rayners in June. ;)

The base pad on the stainless 7 round mag is 2 thicknesses of leather. Probably all I could afford after paying for the gun. :o Notice the gamer 8 round Devel mag. That was the hot trick then. :o

kar45, what kind of bounty? Of course it isn't costing me anything sitting in the safe and it's a good conversation piece. B)

The beavertail is maybe Safari Arms?? I think there was only one or two brands back then. Steve cut it for a higher grip. I can take more pics of the beavertail if you want them. Or I can bring it to Rayners in June. ;)

The base pad on the stainless 7 round mag is 2 thicknesses of leather. Probably all I could afford after paying for the gun. :o Notice the gamer 8 round Devel mag. That was the hot trick then. :o

kar45, what kind of bounty? Of course it isn't costing me anything sitting in the safe and it's a good conversation piece. B)

I have a bounty out for old Nastoff guns. I have a similar one in .38 super. I love his work (and others of the era..)

email me if you are serious and I will tell you what I paid for the last one on auction.

Back to the original poster. Sorry for all the thread drift. ;)

I had a second 5 inch slide fit to my 45 comp gun so I could shoot in IDPA CDP and Single Stack. If your 45 is a bushing gun you could have the comp removed. Crown the barrel and have a front sight dovetailed into the slide and shoot Single Stack. :cheers:

Back to the original poster. Sorry for all the thread drift. ;)

I had a second 5 inch slide fit to my 45 comp gun so I could shoot in IDPA CDP and Single Stack. If your 45 is a bushing gun you could have the comp removed. Crown the barrel and have a front sight dovetailed into the slide and shoot Single Stack. :cheers:

Right now I just have to get back into the swing of things???

This is the 38 super it was built by Patrick Sweeney back in 1992? I think. I was suposed to run some rounds thru it, and then give it back for finishing, it's mostly bare steel some magic marker and die blue, but it shoots sweet. It has a two port comp.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/Bul...uper-2-41rs.jpg

This is the 45, it was built by another friend Gelnn Hibbert, and it is a sweet shootin gun, and never ever failed me in a match...It has a single port comp..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/Bul...pGun-4-81rs.jpg

Edited by Ray Ninness

Ray, the scope mount on the Super a Red Buff? I have one of their Weiver mounts on my pin gun. Fantastic mount but makes it a real pain to convert it back to a iron sighted gun should I change my mind. lol

Joe W.

Ray, is that a Commander slide on the 45? I'll bet it is a sweet shooter. :cheers:

Don't see many thumb shields anymore either.

Both me and the guns are Old School I guess... The 45 is one very sweet shooting gun, and it's dead reliable..

The 38 Super I haven't shot a bunch, right after I got it from Sweeney to run some ammo thru, I basically stopped shooting.. I need to get a Dillion up and running and get some ammo to feed thru it...

No thumb shields, I'll bet that keeps the thumb nail trimmed on one side at least???

If I could find some major 38 Super ammo I'd shoot it this weekend in Augusta, Maine, at the Capital City IPSC match.. But it looks like the 45 will get the call.. And in the Unlimited class with only 8 round mags, I'll be a busy fellow changing mags.. But it should be fun!!!

:cheers:

Ray, the scope mount on the Super a Red Buff? I have one of their Weiver mounts on my pin gun. Fantastic mount but makes it a real pain to convert it back to a iron sighted gun should I change my mind. lol

Joe W.

Yep I couldn't remember the name.. Thanks... As I mentioned the gun never got finished, the scope mount screws were not even lock titted, I still check'em everytime I shoot the thing.. But it is a super accurite gun, I used to be able to ring an 8" steel plate regularly that hung at the end of the 100 yard range with it, shooting 147 gr bullets at Major..

:surprise:

Anyone know where I can get those flat aluminum triggers now days????

:mellow:

Edited by Ray Ninness

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors Nastoff 45 compgun....nor anything that is thy neighbors.(had to remind myself of this)Regards, Kirby