Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Injuries for stupid reasons....

uscbigdawg

So...freakin' company softball game last night. Did well. Went 4 for 4, Dinger and a triple. Coming off the field at the end of the game, my knee (three surgeries, jumps at Airborne school and the 82nd and a couple of deployments) is on FIRE!!!!

Not much better this morning. I'm pounding motrin like candy between now and Saturday when I have to shoot the Silver Buckle. 10 stages in one day. Woohoo! I'll be doing all the normal stuff too R.I.C.E. and rest. On top of that is our Multi-Gun match on Monday. 6 stages and most are multi-gun.

Oh well...getting old does suck. ;)

Rich

Dude...I'm way ahead of that. I will hit the O3's and Gluco/Condroidane. I found a couple of Morph injectors that haven't expired in my aid bag. ;)

The plan for tonight (after packing the bags and cleaning out the car) is to clean the rifle out one more time, start an IV line and push like 2 liters, take a Flexiril, motrin combo and put my knee in a bucket of tiger balm.

Rich

I feel your pain...literally. 2 weeks before the Alabama Section Champs, I tore my right calf muscle. I was getting ready for the match and praticing at a local weekly fun match. I came out of the shooting box(i think I slipped on the floor/peice of brass) and it felt like a dog bit into my calf. I was really afraid that I snapped my achilles. Got lucky and it was only a muscle tear, nothing detached from the bone. So I have been in a boot for 5 weeks and still in therapy. Shooting a carbine match next weekend in the boot on.

Good luck. Motrin 800 4 times a day, plus some kind of anti inflamatory worked wonders in the beginning.

Matt

Rich,

Good luck with the knee. I am now hoping to make the November shoot; That four letter word called work has closed down my summer. I had been hoping to meet you and some of the other BE family in person.

P.S. I do hope that you are being careful about the NSAIDs, It really sucks to find out that the limb is better, but you have a bleeder in the gut :angry2: . BTDT

Flexeril gives me a hangover like I was drunk beyond drunk and it last for 3 days. Works great, best muscle relaxer I have ever had and when needed it does what none of the others will, but I have to be in BAD shape to take one. Diazapam works about half as well with none of the hangover, see if you can get a scrip for it, IIRC it is Valium. It can take the knots out of your back, knee, whatever pretty well and you function normally tomorrow.

I shot the WI section a couple years ago on a broken leg, the outside of the two bones in the lower leg (don't remember what it is called, tibia or fibia sounds right) was broken right above the ankle joint. That particular range is DEEP sand, took the shock off the break but is like running in knee deep mud on some of the ranges. It was so big I had to drive home with no shoes on, couldn't fit my foot in the shoes I had with me once I took my cleats off for a few minutes. I missed about 6 weeks of club matches afterward. If it is worth it to you give it hell and see what happens, if it isn't worth the possible consequences get healed up and then go forward. If I am not dead or most certain to be dead I tend to push on.

EDIT: removed bad info.

Edited by HSMITH

I know Glucosamine has a big following, but the AAOS (American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons) released guidelines for the treatment of osteoarthritis in December recommending that Glucosamine/Chondroitin not be used in the treatment of OA. If you are interested a google search for AAOS OA Guidelines will most likely get you to the PDF. They did find that the harmful effects of G/C were no greater than placebo, so it seems to be safe, just not very efficacious.

HSMITH, please do not advise people to drink while on Valium, that is bad juju...ask your pharmacist. This is one of the classic, "Hollywood actor found dead in his hotel room" type scenarios.

Rich, hope you have a good match despite the knee and get well soon.

I have arthritis and knees, ankles, hands, etc can be pretty unruly at times. I find Aleave works about as good as anything short of Novocaine.

The will to shoot overcomes a lot doesn't it? :cheers:

put my knee in a bucket of tiger balm.

:roflol:

Sore as hell. I'm paying for it today, like I knew I would. 5+ hours of driving on Friday night. 2 more hours + 10 stages on Saturday. RO'ing and 7+ hours of driving on Sunday and then 3-Gun yesterday was rough. Once it got warm and the adrenaline starts flowing, I don't feel a thing. Went to bed last night...HURTIN'.

Oh well....I'll give it RICE this week and then some basic physical therapy for Runner's Knee.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Rich

Rich, you forgot to mention the alcohol enhancements!!!!!!

I recall shooting a match in Houston one time Space city challenge, and the last stage on day one was an up down stage you had to go to a knee or knees and then back up for each port. there were 4 I think, when it was over I handed the gun to the RO and said I'll be back up in minute, go ahead and score the targets. It was a rough weekend, but it ended well, just go shoot and deal with the discomfort when it comes, just remember pain is not good, but discomfort ain't that bad.

Trapr

Spent today in an ACLS class at Travis AFB. Holy crap my knee is on fire. I probably didn't something bad. Or just need to get back to the gym regularly again. <_<

Either way, it definitely has it good moments and bad.

Rich