Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Body/foot Position For One Hand Only Shooting

Duane Thomas

When shooting with one hand, either SHO or WHO, do you think it's best to simply shoot from your normal stance, same body/foot position, just bring in the arm not being used but everything else stays the same, or is it better to blade your body - and therefore change your foot position, as well?

For me, when shooting SHO i use the same foot position as freestyle, I only lean my body a little more to the front, bucause if i change my foot position the draw sucks and i can't find the front sight.

But for WHO is a different story, I place the left footmuch more to the front and lean myself a lot more.

Duane

In IDPA you do not get to draw with your SH and transfer to the WH, or I haven't shot a stage like that, yet. So, I would think that since you can start with the gun in the WH, use whatever foot/body position that allow you to shoot better.

USPSA is more motion/speed oriented, so learning to shoot while moving with WH might pay dividends.

For WHO in IDPA, I turn 90 degrees and lean into the pistol. Same thing for SHO unless you have to move and shoot.

same here, I have WSF (no...weak side foot!) in front for WHO and SSF in front for SHO. I had the pleasure of observing our host BE a few y ago at an Area 3 Standards stage that had a string "6 rds SHO reload 6 rds WHO", and he had his right foor in front for the first part, reloaded, stepped with WSF forward at the same time, and then shot WHO". I have taken this over, and it has served me well since...

--Detlef

I have been struggling with this but mostly with which eye to use. Received some consistant advice from folk on this site. Thinking about your question took me back to a IDPA match I shot last week. As someone already stated, there was a "retention" reload then the switch to WH. But...as far a feet placement you were limited in what you could do because the string was from behind a barricade, left side , WH. Maybe I just do not have the experience but I cannot visualize footwork compensation from that situation.

My post was ment to discuss WH without any props, like a barricade, but the technique is the same.

Even with a barricade, assuming a right handed shooter; when you finish the free style part of the exercise and change to WH, put your left foot ahead and pivot your body just a slight amount to the right, lean into the gun and concentrate on the dynamics of sight alignment and breaking the shot when the sights are correct.

same thing when you are shooting the WH portion of the classifier in IDPA except I turn 90 degrees from the target to the right, put my left foot ahead slightly, flex my knees a bit, lean into the gun and concentrate on getting the sights correct and breaking the shot.

One more thing you might be able to do when shooting WH from the left side of a barricade. If the SO / MD allows it, is to face into the barricade and assuming it isn't too tall, grab the top of the barricade with your right hand while extending the left way past the prop, and give yourself a bit of support in that manner. This only works well if the barricade is stable, but it is food for thought.

Hope this helps, and is more clear.

If the stage is the one I think Sherlock was shooting, then you were simulating an injury to your strong hand. I guess he could have held on to the barricade with his strong hand if he didn't mind the simulated pain and the simulated blood running down his arm. :lol:

Bill Nesbitt

Eric Grauffel recommends a very aggressive strong-foot-forward stance, with the weak leg carrying very, very little load, your weight should be forward, just like shooting freestyle. The hand not used should be held at chest-level on the body. I've tried many different variations of SHO and WHO stances and this seems to work best for me.

I'm ditto on Eric's advise as well, as long as you have the time. Which is usually. But on some drills, like say - 7 to 10 yds, three targets one yard apart, draw and shoot two on each SHO, reload and shoot two on each WHO - it may not be beneficial to move your feet during the reload to get the correct position. (Also imagine starting "toes on a line.") Or it may be, who can say for sure?

I know I was surprised at the result of that experiment quite a few years ago.

be

• 1 month later...

I had a master class shooter show me how he shoots weak-strong hand and It is the best way I have found to date ...... It feels a little off at first but after a few dry fire sessions It becomes second nature ...... basically when you go to a single hand hold you push that same knee forward giving your body a bit of a cant towards the gun / target ..... Your feet don't move and it allows you to switch into position without wasting any time ... you can also bring the gun slightly closer to your eye allowing for a more normal sight picture .....opposed to having the gun unnaturally far away. Your shoulder should also be slightly forward compared to the non gun side .....

I don't know if that makes sense or not ... Its very simple to SHOW .....

Its like throwing a punch! Except make sure you keep your head from moving to much ..... he sugested tilting the head and gun slightly but I think this is unnessesary with a little practice ...if your shooting with alot of recoil the tilt is probably better as it allows you more strenght ... both ways are easy... Its all up YOU

ITS NOT A POWER MOVE! BE FLUID!

I stand square to the line of targets and pull the not-used hand in to my chest.

Also, when shooting weak hand, ride the recoil to the next shot. What I mean is, if you are shooting an array weak hand (left hand) shoot them from left to right to allow the guns recoil to carry you to the next target. Right or wrong, most folks that I have observed tend to lean their gun toward their body's midline when shooting weak hand which will cause the gun to move toward the top of the gun.

This keeps you from having to muscle your gun back past a target you have already shot.

Dennis

i would change to long pants, and get a better shirt. :D:D:ph34r:

It was smok'in hot that day...I think I was over dressed.

In the pictures, I am very aqgressively leaning into the gun/target...leading with my foot on the gun side. I know that I would shot that with a looser stance now.

Also, my arm/elbow is locked...which will transfer the recoil into the body. (experiment here with your gun/load setup)