Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't get more than 28rds in a mag - help!

Fullauto_Shooter

I know several open shooters who get 30 or 31 rounds in their mags but I haven't been able to figure this out yet. Even with HSmith tuned STI mags (SNL basepads and grams guts) I still only get 28rds (tight). I've got access to some SVI tubes and bolen basepads but haven't had the chance to get any of these tuned yet. Just hoping someone out there will let me in on the secret of the 30/31rd mag:

Tube?

Basepad?

Spring?

Follower?

Tuned by whom?

I'm shooting 38 super.

Thanks,

Doug

Super loses a little bit of capacity because of the semi-rim. Just switching to SC you might be able to get that extra round in there.

I have an older HSmith tuned STI tube with a Dawson SNL and Grams spring and follower and it holds 29 (a little tight) and runs 100%...again, this is SC, not Super.

All of the SV big sticks I've seen will hold 29 easily (plenty of room to spare) using a Bolen spring and follower and a Dawson +1. Many will actually hold 30, but most will turn into salt shakers if they haven't been tuned. Tuned, that combo should always give you 30 and if the right person does it 31 is possible. R,

The Supercomp's smaller rim adds up when you start stacking them and that will get you an extra round eventually. I have an SPS mag that I can run 30 reliable in. The STI tubes are much harder and built like a tank. The 410 Stainless Steel has a better memory and if someone steps on one it's most likely not going to damage it too bad. Can't say that for SVI, Rescomp, or SPS tubes. I've been using Grams spring and follower kits with Dawson +1 SNL pads and the mags make the gauge. Susan can get 30 rounds startable in the STI tubes and they have very minimal tuning. One of these days I'm going to have to do something with her STI mags to get the 30 in there, just haven't had the time.

Super loses a little bit of capacity because of the semi-rim. Just switching to SC you might be able to get that extra round in there.

I have an older HSmith tuned STI tube with a Dawson SNL and Grams spring and follower and it holds 29 (a little tight) and runs 100%...again, this is SC, not Super.

All of the SV big sticks I've seen will hold 29 easily (plenty of room to spare) using a Bolen spring and follower and a Dawson +1. Many will actually hold 30, but most will turn into salt shakers if they haven't been tuned. Tuned, that combo should always give you 30 and if the right person does it 31 is possible. R,

+1

Doug - There are some tricks out there to get it. Grams has always tuned my mags and whatever he tells me...goes. As for 28 vs. 30 or 31. I can tell you that it's VERY rare that it's an advantage to have more than 26-28 in a big stick.

Rich

30 rounds of regular Super in the mag is possible and doable. It will require a new tube, spring and follower, and basepad. I am not taking mag, but some of the people filling the gap might have it figured out by now. Call around Doug, see what they offer.

If you aren't neck deep in Super brass a change to Super Comp makes 30 easy and 31 in the mag possible.

Doug - There are some tricks out there to get it. Grams has always tuned my mags and whatever he tells me...goes. As for 28 vs. 30 or 31. I can tell you that it's VERY rare that it's an advantage to have more than 26-28 in a big stick.

Rich

That's true a lot of the time, but I also think it depends on the stages that are common at your club(s). We have a LOT of 27-32 round stages around here. Two weeks ago we had two stages that were 27 rounds each with very little movement and a couple of somewhat hard shots on steel (20yd+ popper on each side plus two slightly closer poppers on each side). Having those couple extra rounds was nice. I didn't need any on the one stage and on the other I did make up a bad Delta on a long static paper. When I made up that shot I still had two or three steel left to go to finish the stage. I remember thinking "I've still got two extra" as I made up that shot. On the flip side, when I shot some matches in Md/Va last year they didn't seem to have many stages like that and a 30 or 31 round big stick wouldn't have done much except add a little extra insurance.

If you can afford to get a 29-31 round big stick that run 100% it would seem to be a handy addition even if it's not necessary all that often. The other nice thing with one is that if you have an unloaded table start and download them a round or two they slap right in and load really easy even with 28 or 29 in them....which can be handy sometimes too. R,

Doug - There are some tricks out there to get it. Grams has always tuned my mags and whatever he tells me...goes.

Rich

+1

Beven tuned mine as well. SV tubes Grams guts and pads, all 4 reloadable 29 rounds. And, I'll be using them on Monday at the Multigun I'm shooting with Rich!

Fullauto,

The way I understand it (hearing it from Bevens own mouth) he will no longer tune customer supplied tubes. He will sell you a brand new tuned complete mag though, built on a SPS tube. He does probably make exceptions for previous good customers but this is how he explained it to me.