Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises Rifle for 3 Gun

I have a JP-15 and will be ordering another soon.

The rifle that has been winning in the Tac class is a www.mstn.biz. Spendy but effective. They seem to have taken a different approach to building uppers.

Edited by cksh8me

I love my JP CTR-02 and so has everyone that I've let shoot it. I like it so much, that I ordered a JP LRP-07 in .308 three months ago. I'm not a great shooter, but I do feel SPECIAL shooting my JP :lol:

[quote name='cksh8me' date='May 20 2009, 03:29 AM' post='982458'

The rifle that has been winning in the Tac class is a www.mstn.biz. Spendy but effective. They seem to have taken a different approach to building uppers.

That specific MSTN rifle uses all "JP" guts !!

Edited by P.Pres

JP Enterprises rifles,,,,,,are made buy a company that is owned and operated by a Man whom competes in 3 Gun competitions on a regular basis.

That in itself makes all the difference.

Nuf said!

Jim M ammo

...What do you think about the complete JP-15 or CTR-02 rifles? Should I buy their entire gun or match their some of their components with someone elses. What other alternatives should I be looking at. I like the LarRue Tactical stuff as well. Any LaRue info would be welcome as well. Thanks.

I bought a CTR02 upper over a JP-15 because the website says the CTR02 barrel is "thermo fit" to the receiver and is supposed to come with the Lietner bolt.

Personally I'd just buy the upper and get the lower separately.

I have three Triangle built uppers. You should consider them as well. They will basically build an upper however you want it.

If I wanted to set up another upper for 3 gun I'd email Triangle and tell them to use a 18" lightened 1x8 in SS with 20" gas, YHM customizeable handguard (smaller diameter and lighter than the V-TAC), TSS comp and low profile adjustable gas block (JP or PRI).

Both my JP and Daniel Horner's well worn JP would dispute that statement. Not that MSTN guns have not won many a match.

If you want a JP rifle and want to get into 3 gun this summer, you'll have to find a used one. If you order now, you'll be lucky to get it by the end of the year. Something to think about.

I'm one of those who like building my own rifles. I use a JP 18" barrel and stainless light weight carrier which are excellent parts and the rifle shoots great. I don't know what the wait is on just the parts.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

As much as I would like to build my own gun I do not feel that I am not qualified to do so just yet. I am going to see if I can take apart my M&P 15R this summer to upgrade some parts. If it goes back together without a hitch I may build the next gun.

With your input I felt the best route for me at this time was to order the JP rifle which I did last week. I went with the complete 18" CTR-02 with a heat sink. I chose the CTR-02 over the JP15 because it seems to be the most complete package you can get. For that kind of money I definately didn't want to be looking back a year from now thinking I should have spent the extra $500. Unfortunately, JP is giving a 9-10 month build time right now so I won't be able to enjoy my rifle this summer.

Happy shooting fellas!

• 3 weeks later...
My JP's: First one is the 18" LRP-308 w/ HorusVision, 18" CTR-02 w/ JP ACOG and short range irons, and 16" JP15/VTAC

P5190059.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the pics, Those colored heat sinks look pretty cool. I ordered mine with a black heat sink but may have to change to the blue.

Does anyone have any good photos of a black gun with the silver heat sink?

Edited by Slammer

My JP's: First one is the 18" LRP-308 w/ HorusVision, 18" CTR-02 w/ JP ACOG and short range irons, and 16" JP15/VTAC

P5190059.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the pics, Those colored heat sinks look pretty cool. I ordered mine with a black heat sink but may have to change to the blue.

Guys,

I just got my first taste of 3 gun today with some guys practicing for the RM3Gun. Thanks Mike Pinto! Now i really want to go shoot this match in August. My delema is my JP won't be in until next spring and I need a rifle quick like. I have the S&W M&P 15R lower and a stock DPMS lower sitting on the shelf.

Can I shoot a match with a stock upper on these lowers or will that combo be super slow?

Do I need to upgrade the trigger on one of these lowers to use it for a serious match such as this?

What are the odds of getting a good "competition" upper built in time similar to those you all have mentioned in this thread?

Bear in mind this will be my first match so I will me slow as it gets anyhow.

Thanks!

Jesse

P5190059.jpg

Guys,

I just got my first taste of 3 gun today with some guys practicing for the RM3Gun. Thanks Mike Pinto! Now i really want to go shoot this match in August. My delema is my JP won't be in until next spring and I need a rifle quick like. I have the S&W M&P 15R lower and a stock DPMS lower sitting on the shelf.

Can I shoot a match with a stock upper on these lowers or will that combo be super slow?

Do I need to upgrade the trigger on one of these lowers to use it for a serious match such as this?

What are the odds of getting a good "competition" upper built in time similar to those you all have mentioned in this thread?

Bear in mind this will be my first match so I will me slow as it gets anyhow.

Thanks!

Jesse

Jesse,

If this is your first match, run whatever you have. The experience you'll gain will be far more important than the specific rifle you're shooting. Also, keep your eyes on the classified section here - used competition uppers occasionally pop up there at decent prices.

Well I am late chiming in here But JP rifles are the best of the best and in Tac-Iron it is what wins!! as well as Open, and as of late Tac Optic, due to Kelly finally figuring out how an optic works!! :roflol:

JP has done more for 3-gun than ANY OTHERE company except DPMS!! his products are first rate the support is first rate, and the continual inovation is the best. KurtM

I just fired my new JP-15 for the first time. We took it to the range to put it through the barrel break in procedures and 150 rounds later I had a 1.5 inch hole missing from the middle of the target. Considering I've never fired an AR before, and this is the first one I've ever owned, I was pretty pleased. The rifle fired beautifully and even at our action range, attracted it's fair share of attention from other shooters!

I just fired my new JP-15 for the first time. We took it to the range to put it through the barrel break in procedures and 150 rounds later I had a 1.5 inch hole missing from the middle of the target. Considering I've never fired an AR before, and this is the first one I've ever owned, I was pretty pleased. The rifle fired beautifully and even at our action range, attracted it's fair share of attention from other shooters!

You lucky SOB! I can't wait until next year.

You lucky SOB! I can't wait until next year.

Slammer, it's a long wait... (mine was about 22 weeks, just for the upper) but when it arrives, you'll never regret it!

Well I am late chiming in here But JP rifles are the best of the best and in Tac-Iron it is what wins!! as well as Open, and as of late Tac Optic, due to Kelly finally figuring out how an optic works!! :roflol:

JP has done more for 3-gun than ANY OTHERE company except DPMS!! his products are first rate the support is first rate, and the continual inovation is the best. KurtM

You look THROUGH them not AT them! It took a while but I think I've got it now. And as no sooner than I figure it out, you make me shoot irons in Europe!

I've had 4 JP uppers and they all worked and they were all accurate. And #4 was more accurate than #3 which was more accurate than #2 which was more accurate than #1, a good trend.

Remember Kelly....for the greater good....for the greater good.

BTW I did get squading changed so Dan H. is now shooting with us instead of off on his own....for the greater good! Kurt