Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass polish?

Jay6

I just went the quick and easy route for the first time as I just ran out of flitz. I picked up some mothers metal polish and it says it works on brass. I should be fine right?

If you are talking about this stuff

05100-05101.jpg

it works great on brass cases. I used it for years before I switched to NuFinish. It's consistency is thicker than toothpaste), so I used to thin it with some Isopropyl Alcohol. If you do this, run the tumbler for about 10-15 minutes with the lid off to allow the alcohol to vent off.

big_kahuna, I run Nu Finish cut with mineral spirits. I picked up a cheap sqeeze bottle from Walmart and fill it about 3/4 full of Nu Finish then add enough mineral spirits to make it pretty soupy. Before I run a load of brass through my corn cob I add a few squirts of the mix and let it run for 20 minutes to make sure it is well distributed then put my brass in for a few more hours. At this time I am using crushed corn cob from Petsmart, I want to say I paid about $15 for a 25 pound bag. The stuff works wonders and the thing really love about it is that it leaves just enough Nu Finish on the brass you don't need any case lube to size most pistol brass easily.

Joe W.

big_kahuna, I run Nu Finish cut with mineral spirits. I picked up a cheap sqeeze bottle from Walmart and fill it about 3/4 full of Nu Finish then add enough mineral spirits to make it pretty soupy. Before I run a load of brass through my corn cob I add a few squirts of the mix and let it run for 20 minutes to make sure it is well distributed then put my brass in for a few more hours. At this time I am using crushed corn cob from Petsmart, I want to say I paid about $15 for a 25 pound bag. The stuff works wonders and the thing really love about it is that it leaves just enough Nu Finish on the brass you don't need any case lube to size most pistol brass easily.

Joe W.

I am gonna try this. I switched to NuFinish last year but haven't tried cutting it with anything. This sounds awesome! Thanks Joe W!

05100-05101.jpg

it works great on brass cases. I used it for years before I switched to NuFinish. It's consistency is thicker than toothpaste), so I used to thin it with some Isopropyl Alcohol. If you do this, run the tumbler for about 10-15 minutes with the lid off to allow the alcohol to vent off.

Yes, but the stuff I got was liquid in a bottle. Thanks for the replies guys. I will give it a. shot and see what happens.

05100-05101.jpg

Yes, but the stuff I got was liquid in a bottle. Thanks for the replies guys. I will give it a. shot and see what happens.

I feel that automotive product made to polish either paint, aluminum or plated surfaces will be fine. I happened to have a bottle of Mequiar's fine polishing compound on the shelf in the garage. It is made for final polishing or clear coated paint, prior to final waxing. I used about half an ounce with a couple of sprays of Rain Dance fast finish, ran the machine for a few minutes, added the brass and a couple hours later, voila! great brass. I most likely have two or three bottles of similar products on the shelf from when I had a couple show cars. No need to go out and spend additional cash when what I needed was already in my garage.

With this usage, I really don't think there is a "magic bullet" (pun intended). I think that there are several products that we already have in our homes that will work just fine.

big_kahuna, I wish I could claim credit for this one but someone else told me about it. LOL If you feel the mixture is too thick all you have to do is add more mineral spirits and shake it up more. The stuff works wonders and it seems to last forever. :)

Joe W.

Try using rice for media - you won't need any polish at all. Sounds crazy, works very well.

I tried rice for a while, but it seemed like it was getting "gummy" as it wore down. And being asian it just seemed morally incorrect ;) Was definitely worth a try though. Maybe brown rice would've been better?

~Mitch

I tried rice for a while, but it seemed like it was getting "gummy" as it wore down. And being asian it just seemed morally incorrect ;) Was definitely worth a try though. Maybe brown rice would've been better?

~Mitch

An old dryer sheet torn into strips with each batch keeps the dust and "gummyness" down - makes the rice last longer.

~Mitch

An old dryer sheet torn into strips with each batch keeps the dust and "gummyness" down - makes the rice last longer.

Next batch I get, imma try this out. Is it just regular white rice or ???. Need to know these things before I go digging in the pantry.

preston

ok folks reference the nu finish. I am still learning, so you have to be real specific with me or i WILL screw it up. I have been using walnut media and then after cleaning, I pour the brass in a box and spray a few lite times with Dillon case lube (It's all I have). But I do get a lot of walnut dust when transfering and the brass gets pretty dull after the case lube.

Ok so you guys are saying to take Nu Finish- how much?? (3 tbs), then dilute it with mineral spirit,(yes or no), pour the nu finish (with or without the mineral spirit) into the media, then let the tumbler run for a bit to mix, then throw in the brass for a few hours? Not forgeting to add new dryer softners, thinly cut up in the media as well.

Then...are you all still using case lube after that or no need? Thanks for your help. PS-I'm using a Dillon CV-500 tumbler

Dilute the NuFinish just enough so it doesn't gob up your media (not an exact science). Pour in the diluted mixture into the tumbler with media and let it run to evenly spread out and for the mineral spirits/alcohol to vape off, ~10-15 minutes. You may or may not need case lube. I'd say start with maybe 2-3 capfuls of nufinish mix for your tumbler.

Dilute the NuFinish just enough so it doesn't gob up your media (not an exact science). Pour in the diluted mixture into the tumbler with media and let it run to evenly spread out and for the mineral spirits/alcohol to vape off, ~10-15 minutes. You may or may not need case lube. I'd say start with maybe 2-3 capfuls of nufinish mix for your tumbler.

roger that sir, let the alcohol evap off with the tumbler on and lid off, yes? Thanks!

For the rice, just use regular rice. I finally broke down and purchased a 50 lb bag at Sam's Club. The brass feels like you used case lube when you run it through your machine - really nice. Wish I remembered who told be about it...

One of the things I love most about using NuFinish is that I never need any case lube before sizing my brass. At least with pistol brass that is. :) And as others have said, cut the NuFinish enough so that it pours pretty easily. Nothing too exact about it, maybe four or five parts NuFinish to one part mineral spirits and load up a new batch of corn cob with about 1/4 Oz or so and let it tumble for half an hour or so then add your brass. After the first use I add around 1/10 Oz and run the tumbler 10 minutes or so before adding the brass.

Joe W.

Even when using silicone or wax based compounds such as NuFinish and other automotive/marine products I still suggest using some sort of case lube, Frankford Arsenal, Hornady One Shot, Dillon or equivilant product.