Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

broken barbell pins G22

Lawdawg112

I know a couple shooters on here have been to the advanced glock armorer class. With that said I have a question on a G22.

Stock G22 that I carry every day, had it since 2003 and I put around 2-4k rounds through it a year. Twice now I have noticed that my barbell pin broke and the only half that is left in the gun is the half that is held in place by the spring tension of the slide stop spring. I usually shoot 165's and 180's through it and I do some dry fire with this gun but not an extreme amnount. I do fire around 800 rounds through it a year with a TLR-1 flashlight attached to the front as well.

Any ideas on what is causing the pin to break?

Thanks

Lawdawg

I know a couple shooters on here have been to the advanced glock armorer class. With that said I have a question on a G22.

Stock G22 that I carry every day, had it since 2003 and I put around 2-4k rounds through it a year. Twice now I have noticed that my barbell pin broke and the only half that is left in the gun is the half that is held in place by the spring tension of the slide stop spring. I usually shoot 165's and 180's through it and I do some dry fire with this gun but not an extreme amnount. I do fire around 800 rounds through it a year with a TLR-1 flashlight attached to the front as well.

Any ideas on what is causing the pin to break?

Thanks

Lawdawg

It's a good idea when a pin breaks to replace both the trigger pin, the locking block pin (what your calling the barbell pin). In my own guns I also replace the locking block and if the recoil spring doesn't pass the Glock test then I replace it as well.

.40s in Glocks are very hard on parts as a .357SIGs. This is amplified when shooting with a pistol light mounted as it speeds up slide velocity.

Later,

Robb

The only times I have broken the upper locking block pin, assuming this is what you are calling a barbell pin, is with ammo way over 200 power factor in a G22 with all factory springs. I have broken 2 in about 400 rounds. I wouldn't shoot this ammo in a 2 pin Glock.......

I would guess you have carefully scrutinized your locking block for any hairline cracks or other problems. If your locking block is damaged, it could put a lot of extra stress on the pin.

Curtis

Keep a fresh recoil spring assembly in your G22. While this gun is super popular, it's really showing some serious durability issues in some instances. I would go no longer than 5K rounds before you change it out. Replacing all the pins and springs at regular intervals is probably a very good idea. I've seen several broken locking blocks in LE guns along with the pin problems you describe.

I've broken a couple of those pins in a G22 and a G27. The pistols still ran fine with the broken pins though!

Just change them out and check all parts on a regular basis.

I've broken a couple of those pins in a G22 and a G27. The pistols still ran fine with the broken pins though!

Just change them out and check all parts on a regular basis.

I know what you mean. I was carrying and shooting a G22 that had a broken locking block. I was doing a detail strip and the block came out in two pieces and it was clear it had been that way for a while. Dropped in a new one and drove on. At this point, however, I won't own another one (G22/23) as they are a pair of parts breakers and that bothers me for a duty/carry gun. All the .40s are gone and have been replaced with 9mm Glocks.

The only times I have broken the upper locking block pin, assuming this is what you are calling a barbell pin, is with ammo way over 200 power factor in a G22 with all factory springs. I have broken 2 in about 400 rounds. I wouldn't shoot this ammo in a 2 pin Glock.......

What he said...

i have over 100K through my G22 and have never broke one...there is nothing wrong with the gun's design.

I am full time street cop....and a USPSA master. i am sure that most glock pistols are LE guns, but LEO's dont put that many rounds through them.

2000 a year? that is nothing remarkable..4000 a month for a year....is a different story.

Check the locking block for cracks and if it is a two pin gun. send it back to glock for a frame replacement.

drifting a bit.

i bought a gun from a cop who "carried it" for ten years and it stil had the original bronze grease in it. Moral of the story: Most cops dont shoot their guns nearly enough.

Kind of ironic, but I was due for my glock armorer recert, so I asked the instructor about it last week. He said that the .40's are really hard on the guns pins and recoil springs. (I only shoot factory WWB and AE through mine). He also said that shooting with a non glock flashlight is harder on them too.

Mine is a 3 pin glock (2003). The instructor said most of the broken pins are from them not being correctly seated. He said to use a rear corner of the glock armorer tool as a guide to properly seat the locking block pin and the trigger pin.

Both times, it's broken the G22 continued to shoot just fine, the right side of the pin just falls out since it's not under spring tension.