Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's transition to the dark side is complete!

Carlos

I was visiting relatives in Camas Washington this last weekend and managed to fire one of these at a range while I was sighting in my 6.8 RRA with an Eotech mounted on it.

The trigger was heavy, but crisp. I was able to fire a group less than an inch at 50 yds. I know this isnt much , but this wasnt my rifle. The three rounds I fired were touching at that range, so at 100, it would probably open up to 1.5. all I could say was that the rifle seemed to fire well for me and the fellow who owned it.

I watched him put about 250 rounds through it without any feed or extraction issues. He went to the 100yd range and was getting grouips of about 1".

This was out of the box without any adjustment of the sights. Good accuracy out of the box is quite a selling point. The guy said his friend had one and that it was shooting just as accurately out of the box. I guess YMMV,

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was visiting relatives in Camas Washington this last weekend and managed to fire one of these at a range while I was sighting in my 6.8 RRA with an Eotech mounted on it.

The trigger was heavy, but crisp. I was able to fire a group less than an inch at 50 yds. I know this isnt much , but this wasnt my rifle. The three rounds I fired were touching at that range, so at 100, it would probably open up to 1.5. all I could say was that the rifle seemed to fire well for me and the fellow who owned it.

I watched him put about 250 rounds through it without any feed or extraction issues. He went to the 100yd range and was getting grouips of about 1".

This was out of the box without any adjustment of the sights. Good accuracy out of the box is quite a selling point. The guy said his friend had one and that it was shooting just as accurately out of the box. I guess YMMV,

I'm not saying these rilfes are "the answer" but experiences like this show the gun is just as ready to rock and roll as any other production AR rifle out there. Good info Jimmy!

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to Mark Gurney (product manager at Ruger) about my carrier tilt wear. I told him it was getting pretty ugly and he is sending me a call tag so he can get the carbine in and get it looked over. I'll keep everybody posted on what he finds.

I'll miss the gun but I bet the local jack rabbits will enjoy the break.

I talked to Mark Gurney (product manager at Ruger) about my carrier tilt wear. I told him it was getting pretty ugly and he is sending me a call tag so he can get the carbine in and get it looked over. I'll keep everybody posted on what he finds.

I'll miss the gun but I bet the local jack rabbits will enjoy the break.

He ain't joking about the jackrabbits. I've seen some of the photos.

I'm now the proud owner of two Ruger carbines. I bought this one used and it was too good a deal to pass up.

The gun is supposed to have about 400 rounds through it. It has a slight mark on the upper from cam pin drag but doesn't appear to be suffering from any carrier tilt damage.

I was hoping to get three or four magazines through the gun this afternoon but it ain't going to happen today.

29wviiq.jpg

I'm at about 1,000 rounds fired as of today. The gun continues to run fine but I have to keep the gas on "2." Some of the guys over on ARFCOM are reporting that they can run their guns on setting "1."

The only issues I've had are with WOLF 55JHP ammo. In the 120 rounds or so of this stuff I've shot, I've had a total of four failures to extract. That's with the 55gr stuff. I've also run a mag of 75gr steel and 50 rounds of Hornady's steel practice ammo through the gun with no issues.

Does anybody else have one of these yet? If so, how's your rifle shooting? Mine shoots 55gr-69gr stuff wonderfully but doesn't seem to be as accurate with the heavier stuff. One of these days I'll see if I can't try some Hornady 75gr TAP and see what that does.

Tokarev:

I thought I'd update from my earlier post. I have only shot about 500 - 600 rounds through mine thus far. All have been 55gr, PMC Bronze -- which I have been able to shoot on setting #1. So far, 100% cycling reliability with no signs of issues. I'll admit, I clean pretty well after each shooting session -- typically 100 - 200 rounds. Am still shooting open sights -- which are a limiting factor for longer range accuracy. I have been able to shoot a few 5-shot groups of around 2 - 3 inches at ~150 yards off of sandbags. Most of my shooting is at shorter ranges and offhand. I am certain that my old eyes and the coarse sights are the limiting factor. Again, in my view the trigger is poor (heavy and gritty -- just like the lawyers like em). I hope to oufit with a scope soon and will probably replace the trigger. While I have 40+ years of pretty extensive shooting experience, this is my first AR platform. Any advice on a scope, mounts or etc. is deeply appreciated. Will stay on touch ...

in my view the trigger is poor (heavy and gritty

This is a huge understatement. I was by my local store yesterday and every other brand of AR15 rifle on the rack (including those at less than half the cost) had a trigger that one could live with. The Ruger was however the worse trigger I have ever felt. If I took a milspec trigger, sprayed it with WD-40, rolled it in the sand and then installed it, I could do no worse. Add to that a trigger spring that has the feel of the release spring on the emergency brake of a 1970 T Bird.

And while you might blame the lawyers on the trigger pull, that certainly does not account for the grit.

in my view the trigger is poor (heavy and gritty

This is a huge understatement. I was by my local store yesterday and every other brand of AR15 rifle on the rack (including those at less than half the cost) had a trigger that one could live with. The Ruger was however the worse trigger I have ever felt. If I took a milspec trigger, sprayed it with WD-40, rolled it in the sand and then installed it, I could do no worse. Add to that a trigger spring that has the feel of the release spring on the emergency brake of a 1970 T Bird.

And while you might blame the lawyers on the trigger pull, that certainly does not account for the grit.

Both of my examples have crisp triggers despite a fairly heavy pull.

On another note, I spoke to Mark Gurney this afternoon. He has received my original gun back and would like to get his engineers involved and study it. He said this might take awhile so he's going to send me a new gun as a replacement.

During our brief discussion this afternoon, he told me that they have guns with 5,000 rounds through them that don't show the wear mine's got after 1,500. Whatever the cause, I'm sure Ruger will identify the problem(s) and take steps to correct it.

I'm just glad to see Ruger turning around as a company from what they used to stand for back before the AWB and up to about 2 years ago. Their new direction is promising.

I looked at one of the rifles at a local shop Wednesday night. It was a pretty nice rifle wit a great fit and finish. The trigger on that one felt heavy but broke clean and crisp. But its not advertised as a match trigger. Its just a standard trigger and I really don't expect more than that. Local price was like $1500.

Looks like their CS with Eric is first rate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently got one. The trigger was pretty nasty, comparing to any other AR I've owned (*around 12 various brands). Did a quick dremel polish job on it and it was transformed to as good or better than any other factory ar trigger I've had......took like 5 minutes to do. Only have a couple hundred rounds through it now, about half running with aac m4 can. Had a wolf case rim crack off where the ejector grabs it, leaving a case stuck in the chamber.......rod'd it out and was back in business (done with wolf, thats the 4th or 5th stuck case in various rigs now). Accuracy has been as good or better than all my previously owned ar's. Came with my favorite troy sights, the rails "line up" and it shoots to point of aim with the rear sight centered. Effortlessly rang steel at 100, 200 & 300 last night at the range and let a couple other folks run some mags through it with the can. Have not run a optic on it, open sights only.

Overall, I'm impressed with the setup, the feel and function so far....time will tell.

Had read somewhere about ruger's first 556's having a bolt carrier more prone to tilt issue than the more recent ones.

Edited by rc2125

These are some really great reviews of this rifle, especially gotm4's mini torture test. I first heard about this rifle shortly before it graced the pages of The American Rifleman (I think it was them... I get to many gun mags to be sure), and then saw it on youtube review by a gentleman I subscribe to, Nutnfancy. I thought I'd pass on his reviews for anyone who wants to see the gun in action. Nutnfancy does a lot of firearms and other reviews and I've found him to be very thorough, humble and unbiased in his purveyance of information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBBn88PfJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Vff1np7jk

• 3 weeks later...

I took several different loads out to my favorite flat spot in the desert this afternoon and set about dialing in my SR556 and my Burris XTR-14. I've got the scope mounted in a Bobro mount. Otherwise, the Ruger is stock and unchanged from factory.

Up first are my 100yd targets.

5 rounds of mixed military brass with Winchester primers and Prvi 55gr FMJ bullets using H300 powder. (Actually shot this group yesterday)

media1-9.jpg

5 rounds of Winchester brass with WOLF primers and Hornady V-MAX 55gr.

DSCN0631.jpg

5 rounds of commercial reloads from Accurate Ammunition. I bought these from Cabela's several years ago. Military mixed brass and a 52gr hollow point.

DSCN0630.jpg

5 rounds of Winchester brass with WOLF primers and Ramshot TAC powder. Bullet used was a 60gr Sierra Varminter.

DSCN0629.jpg

5 rounds of Federal 62gr XM223SP1 factory.

DSCN0628.jpg

Edited by Tokarev

5 rounds of LC02 brass with Winchester primers and Hodgdon Varget. Topped off with a Nosler 69gr BTHP.

DSCN0627.jpg

5 rounds of factory Remington 45gr HP.

DSCN0626.jpg

5 rounds of WOLF 75gr steel.

DSCN0624.jpg

And my 300 yard targets.

My first 5 rounds of Federal 62gr XM223SP1. The scope had not been adjusted from the 100 yard initial zero.

DSCN0622.jpg

5 rounds of Federal 62gr XM223SP1 factory after adjustment.

DSCN0623.jpg

• 1 month later...