Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gotta love K9 units (pic)

Pittbug

I have that whole video on my puter at home. It is either Czech or something, I forget who. The dogs that they train are on the hairy edge the whole time. At one point during a training excercise the handler exectues a successful OUT command and then the K9 turns and starts biting him, it is pretty nuts.

I just attended a meeting yesterday afternoon of our county K-9 Fundraising Committee, as we now have two new K-9 Units (Rocky and Zeto) on board (our current one, Axel, is retiring this month). We retired one other superb dog (Jabar) a year ago. So, I got to meet Zeto (100 lbs) yesterday--a Shepard/Malinois mix (that's a great mix!) of superior skill. Intensely wonderful dog. The tales of on-the-job successes of these dogs are always amazing. They say a good K-9 Unit can save up to 1,000 man-hours a year--an excellent selling point.

Our local Metro Police also have at least two excellent K-9 Units active at the moment, too. (Yes, I've met them).

Many are raised and initially trained in Europe... Czech Republic, Netherlands, Germany, places like that. Then they arrive here for another stretch of training. More often than not, each dog will begin to show specific skills that allow them to "specialize" in certain capabilities.

I'll be taking some formal photos of the dogs before long and will post them.

that was hands down one of the funnest jobs I have ever done in law enforcement. the french have some AMAZING dogs. can see the whole clip on youtube. also look up french ringsport for some cool vids too. :cheers:

I just attended a meeting yesterday afternoon of our county K-9 Fundraising Committee, as we now have two new K-9 Units (Rocky and Zeto) on board (our current one, Axel, is retiring this month). We retired one other superb dog (Jabar) a year ago. So, I got to meet Zeto (100 lbs) yesterday--a Shepard/Malinois mix (that's a great mix!) of superior skill. Intensely wonderful dog. The tales of on-the-job successes of these dogs are always amazing. They say a good K-9 Unit can save up to 1,000 man-hours a year--an excellent selling point.

Our local Metro Police also have at least two excellent K-9 Units active at the moment, too. (Yes, I've met them).

Many are raised and initially trained in Europe... Czech Republic, Netherlands, Germany, places like that. Then they arrive here for another stretch of training. More often than not, each dog will begin to show specific skills that allow them to "specialize" in certain capabilities.

I'll be taking some formal photos of the dogs before long and will post them.

SiGLady,

Aren't you in Euguene? I'm surprised the local population allows K9 units! I figured some enterprising lawyer would sue on behalf of the dogs for emancipation.

Plus, what do they need dogs for? The criminals can't run very fast wearing sandals, and it's hard to conceal a weapon under tie-dyed hemp!

:roflol:

Just kidding, sorry about that. It's just every time I go to Eugene, I see somthing that reminds me of UC Berkley. There's something funny and a little sad about a former redneck dressed in wicker sandals with dreadlocks, trying to act like they live in SF, but really don't have a clue.

Edited by Jeff686

I've "caught" some K-9's in my career and why anyone would want to mess with them is beyond me. I was wearing the full protective sleeve and yelled at the handler to call him off. It hurt!!!