Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building the ideal limited glock?

mshotwell

We dropped a KKM barrel in to our G20 that is has the chamber cut for 40 length. The gun runs the same length loads that I run in my G35 (1.135OAL), and it runs factory Winchester White Box.

I was just reading the other thread(s) on that. Very interesting idea. I don't have particularly small hands, but I've handled a G21 and in someways like the feel better than the G17 size frame.

Now, all I need to do is to win a new Glock in a GSSF match... :roflol:

Per the latest interpretation of the Production rules posted on the USPSA website, "caliber" now means "chambering", so that swapping out a 10mm bbl for a 40 S&W bbl is now a no go. AAMOF, the specific example of using a 40 barrel in a G20 was posited and the official answer is a "NO" (see question #6 in the FAQ).

Edited by kevin c

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the latest interpretation of the Production rules posted on the USPSA website, "caliber" now means "chambering", so that swapping out a 10mm bbl for a 40 S&W bbl is now a no go. AAMOF, the specific example of using a 40 barrel in a G20 was posited and the official answer is a "NO" (see question #6 in the FAQ).

But that doesn't apply to Limited which is what this would be for.

But that doesn't apply to Limited which is what this would be for.

Ah, sorry, missed that (Got production on my mind...).

Many do, Kevin. No worries.

I remember being at PASA for the Nationals. I was shooting Limited, but running around with some Production shooters. I had my G35 on my belt...with an obvious race holster that I was wearing up near "my junk" on the belt. My G35 Limited gun is exactly the same as my G35 Production gun (same gun, less powder).

I recall standing there as one of the Production GM's was talking with me and my buddy. He and I had not meet before. He keep looking at my gun/gear. Later, he came on the forum here and was going on about Production shooters not shooting with legal gear. I am pretty sure he had me in mind, but he didn't realize I was shooting Limited. That...or he was just looking at "my junk". :)

I was thinking of getting a G20. Putting a LWD G20 tactical length complete slide with a .40 cal barrel on it and running it in limited. Would that be better still? And does the .40 cartridge run ok in the 10mm magazine?

Rick

For Limited, I thought you couldn't change calibers if the gun wasn't officially produced in that caliber...since the G20 wasn't produced in .40, wouldn't that put you in Open?

The reason why I bring it up is, I was considering an EAA Hunter long slide (originally in 10mm) and throwing in a conversion barrel to .40 until I was told it would not be Limited legal...of course, this was about a couple years ago...

Thanks Flex you are the second person to tell me that. But does that mean LWD would have to sell 500 G20 tactical length complete slides with .40 barrels...or entire guns configured that way?

Today I ran some 10mm, 200gn loads making major through a stock G20 and it was very soft indeed. And the whole setup very light. I don't do well with a heavy gun. I have a very nice SV sight tracker set up now and I am struggling. Jish. :surprise:

And what about shooting .40cal through 10mm mags? No biggie?

Thanks again,

Rick

For Limited, I thought you couldn't change calibers if the gun wasn't officially produced in that caliber...since the G20 wasn't produced in .40, wouldn't that put you in Open?

The reason why I bring it up is, I was considering an EAA Hunter long slide (originally in 10mm) and throwing in a conversion barrel to .40 until I was told it would not be Limited legal...of course, this was about a couple years ago...

40 is just a short 10. Same caliber. Kinda like 38 Special is shot from 357Magnum Revolvers.

APPENDIX A3 - Glossary:

Caliber - The diameter of a bullet measured in millimeters (or thousandths of an inch).

A couple of years ago (old rule book), it was clearly legal. The latest book has revamped some wording. I never read it to disallow 40 barrels in the 10mm guns. The only different is chamber length/cut.

And, many just shoot 40 out of their 10mm barrels anyway. :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
Are there any negative effects of shooting .40 in a 10 mm barrel? With the bullet not engaging the rifling right away is there any loss in accuracy?

I would consult one of the many gunsmiths who frequent this forum. As far as the glock limited/2011/M&P or whatever. I would ask how long you have been shooting the sport, how much you like it, what is your budget like. I know there are alot of hardcore Glockers and STI guys/etc. And yes Dave and Bob are fast with them..and so on, but unless you are Dave or Bob, you have to find something that fits your needs, not mine or anyone elses. If it cost $600.00 and you can shoot it like a raped ape, then that is your gun. There are various gadgets and addons to make it more efficient to use in the particular division that you are looking to shoot in. I would only be careful of not exposing yourself to the variety of different pistols out there. I would hate for you to invest 500.00+ in a Glock 34/35, another 75 in a magwell, basepads, springs, triggers,sights, etc. and then you have a $1000.00 + in a Glock and you end up spending 1400 or 1500 on another style...Again, one thing about shooters, is we love to let other people shoot our guns and tell us how great they are(it reenforces the money we spent..lol). So ask, i am sure that at you local club there is at least one 2011, 1 springfield, XD, M&P, etc. And the cool thing is you get to shoot some really nice guns..LOL. Good Luck and Have Fun..A good shooter can shoot anything, find what YOU Like. T-VS

Are there any negative effects of shooting .40 in a 10 mm barrel?

One negative I can think of is it won't shoot. If I'm not mistaken both .40 and 10mm being rimless cartridges index off the shoulder. I have a Glock 20 and when I put a .40 in the chamber it drops down in there well farther a 10mm shell does.

40 is just a short 10. Same caliber. Kinda like 38 Special is shot from 357Magnum Revolvers.

So will the stock G20 magazines feed .40 into the KKM barrel? This sounds like a pretty sweet idea. My brother has been trying to find a way to compete with a large frame glock without having to reload .45. His hands are too big for pretty much anything else he's tried.

So will the stock G20 magazines feed .40 into the KKM barrel? This sounds like a pretty sweet idea. My brother has been trying to find a way to compete with a large frame glock without having to reload .45. His hands are too big for pretty much anything else he's tried.

Yes

Are there any negative effects of shooting .40 in a 10 mm barrel?

One negative I can think of is it won't shoot. If I'm not mistaken both .40 and 10mm being rimless cartridges index off the shoulder. I have a Glock 20 and when I put a .40 in the chamber it drops down in there well farther a 10mm shell does.

Glocks will almost always CRF* from the magazine. I have shot 9x19 through a Glock 22, and .380 through a Glock 26, to prove the point that it could be done. You will be abusing the extractor, short term not a big deal. If/when you would see an issue I do not know.

If you planned on doing it in quantity I do recommend you get a correctly chambered barrel.

*controlled round feed

Edited by Kristofer_G