Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Gun For Steel Match?

bbbean

The obvious answer to my question is "shoot both and see which one is faster for you". I'll be doing that.

In the meantime, though, I'm wondering if there are factors beyond personal preference that should guide my decision.

The guns: 9mm 1911 or 6" Limited gun. Both are similar quality, have been built or worked over by good smiths, and I shoot both regularly. The match has no power factor requirements, and I have a good supply of minor ammo for either gun. The match director just sent out an e-mail saying that they may limit all limited guns to 10 rounds in the gun, so both guns will be loaded to same capacity.

If its a typical steel challenge type match you shouldn't need reloads. I would lean towards the 9mm but if the 6" is set up right and has a good feel for you it might be softer with minor .40 ammo.

Steel Challenge does not require reloads on the clock.

The number of rounds at the start is really insignificant, since there are only five plates to shoot.

Shoot whichever is more comfortable.

Butch

You can probably do reloads faster with the wide body.

I was thinking of steel such as the Drazy match or the Pro Am not steel challenge.

A consistent draw is important for a 5 plate Steel Challenge Match (IMHO) -

A Limited gun with a Monster Magwell can be very helpfull in forcing a consistent grip - and Long Sight Radius - yet another Bonus (IMHO)

That being said I'll be running a Single Stack at ARPC because of personal preference...... (Yes I am Slow to change :) )

A Limited gun with a Monster Magwell can be very helpfull in forcing a consistent grip - and Long Sight Radius - yet another Bonus (IMHO)

That being said I'll be running a Single Stack at ARPC because of personal preference...... (Yes I am Slow to change :) )

and because you rock the skinny gun!

Good point. Thanks. I'll pay particular attention to the grip when I shoot side by side this weekend.

See you at ARPC.

The obvious answer to my question is "shoot both and see which one is faster for you". I'll be doing that.

In the meantime, though, I'm wondering if there are factors beyond personal preference that should guide my decision.

The guns: 9mm 1911 or 6" Limited gun. Both are similar quality, have been built or worked over by good smiths, and I shoot both regularly. The match has no power factor requirements, and I have a good supply of minor ammo for either gun. The match director just sent out an e-mail saying that they may limit all limited guns to 10 rounds in the gun, so both guns will be loaded to same capacity.

If I was attending the match I would suggest you use your 6" limited gun. ( while I would use my 5" singlestack 38 Super)

But I will not be there so shoot the single stack. :cheers:

If I was attending the match I would suggest you use your 6" limited gun. ( while I would use my 5" singlestack 38 Super)

But I will not be there so shoot the single stack. :cheers:

I appreciate the selfless advice.

I am wondering what brought the question up in your mind?

Are there any "ifs"? Like, I'd shoot Gun X...if...I had a trusty load developed for it. ...if...I knew all the mags were 110% ...if...I had more time to practice with it...to get timed into it...knew exactly where it hit...if it had a different front sight...if the grip safety was easier to disengage.... ....

Does one gun run better than the other?

Is one gun really...really...proven?

Are you just more comfortable with one over the other...even if it's not the one that is "supposed" to be better?

I am wondering what brought the question up in your mind?

Are there any "ifs"? Like, I'd shoot Gun X...if...I had a trusty load developed for it. ...if...I knew all the mags were 110% ...if...I had more time to practice with it...to get timed into it...knew exactly where it hit...if it had a different front sight...if the grip safety was easier to disengage.... ....

Does one gun run better than the other?

Is one gun really...really...proven?

Are you just more comfortable with one over the other...even if it's not the one that is "supposed" to be better?

It really is a six of one vs a half dozen of the other issue. Either gun will do fine, especially if I work with it exclusively for the next several practices. I was just trying to think whether there was some advantage I hadn't thought of for one platform vs the other.

Edited by bbbean

Run whatever gun you shoot better with.....

Shoot what you are more consistent with. I happen to shoot my 6" Limited gun with major loads better at steel than my 2011 widebody 9mm, probably because i shoot it weekly rather than just once or twice a month.

• 2 weeks later...
:cheers:

So you went with the Single Stack --- Rock on Old School

:ph34r:

I've never had a bad time shooting a single stack, although the first two strings on the first stage came close! That's what I get for not listening to my gunsmith and cleaning the gun the night before a match. Probably should have spent a little more time practicing with that gun in that holster, or stuck with the rig I usually use for SS.

Either way, it was a great match and a lot of fun.

BTW - It was a pleasure shooting with you.

Edited by bbbean