Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new 1050 and me :-)

ok,

let's get some things straight here. First of all, dump the kinetic puller and get this..

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0012539213979a.shtml

Mount it to a single station press ($20-$30) and you have a superior bullet puller.

For your S1050, regular cleaning and maintenance will prevent that from happening again.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace the plastic tip on the inner primer tube. Then - - Stick a .40 bullet all the way inside an empty .45 case and stick it on the end of the plastic primer rod that fits on top of the primers. The extra weight makes up for a small amount of mis adjustment and it really helps the primers to go into the primer slide every time. I watch the brass capped (as I just explained how to make) plastic rod move every time I operate the handle. It drops an easily noticeable amount with every stroke as the primer feeds into the slide.

Maybe not the very best solution but it works and a lot of people do it. :)

ok,

let's get some things straight here. First of all, dump the kinetic puller and get this..

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0012539213979a.shtml

Mount it to a single station press ($20-$30) and you have a superior bullet puller.

For your S1050, regular cleaning and maintenance will prevent that from happening again.

Thanks for your reply. The pulling die seems to be a good alternative to the plastic hammer...

I keep my press clean (vacuum cleaning after every use), disassembling, cleaning and greasing every ~10.000 rounds. I probably have to reduce this interval...

Replace the plastic tip on the inner primer tube. Then - - Stick a .40 bullet all the way inside an empty .45 case and stick it on the end of the plastic primer rod that fits on top of the primers. The extra weight makes up for a small amount of mis adjustment and it really helps the primers to go into the primer slide every time. I watch the brass capped (as I just explained how to make) plastic rod move every time I operate the handle. It drops an easily noticeable amount with every stroke as the primer feeds into the slide.

Maybe not the very best solution but it works and a lot of people do it. :)

Thanks for your advice! I did that already, it didn't help this time. Maybe it saved me some hassle before... I took a .45 case which fits perfectly to the end of the rod which I filled with liquid lead to add weight. (I.e. basically the same as you suggested).

I am thinking of a small rubber wheel (touching the rod) which spins as the rod goes down and a buzzer which produces a sound every time the wheel spins thus translating the optical to a acoustic signal.

After approx. 30k rounds of flawless reloading, my 1050 developed a new habit which I didn't experience before:

Today I was operating the machine as usual: I was, as usual, fully concentrated to check if the spent primer was ejected properly, if the next case has no obstruction or is Berdan, etc. (using my tiny mirror glued to the frame, see other thread), if the case is properly charged before seating the bullet. After a while I noticed that the primer follower rod still was in its up-postion (instead of being in a low position, corresponding to the number of rounds I already produced). I grabbed one of the rounds in the bin: No primer! (And there were many more...) :angry2::angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

So I disassebled the priming section, just to notice that a very small granule of whatever was lodged in the slot of the blue orifice and thus preventing the primers to make their way to the slider...

Had to pull ~80 rounds which sucks BIG TIME! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Re-assembled the machine, went on... And, after a couple of hundred rounds of normal operation, same thing again! And again I noticed much too late, had to pull another 50 rounds. And, to make things worse, I broke my RCBS kinetic hammer... And NO, I did NOT abuse the tool, it happened during normal operation.

Does anyone of you (especially the gifted tinkerers) have an idea how one could construct a device to monitor, if the follower moved down while operating the handle? I can't watch the follower all the time, not can I quality check every round that drops into the bin...

Apart from this I can just again emphasize that keeping the 1050 perfectly clean is of paramount importance for flawless operation (although I have no idea how the kernel made its way into my primer tube..).

Thanks for listening! :-)

EDIT: The dots in the picture is the spilled powder which was dispersed all over my desk and carpet, which happens if you pull ~120 rounds with no primer...

The follower drops late in the handle upstroke --- near the 12 o'clock or fully upright position. I find it easy to flip my eyes to the primer rod at that point to see it dropping down. I also often see the primer end of the round falling into the bin, as it ejects from the machine. In the beginning it is slow and awkward to notice all of these things --- the primer ejecting, the powder measure slide traveling, the primer rod falling, the ejected round tumbling, but after a while you just sort of do it subconsciously and efficiently....

Check the primer slide actuating lever and make sure it has not been bent. It only takes a very small amount of bend to cut down on the travel and cause the type of problems you describe.

Raise the primer lever arm bracket very slightly and see if that makes the stroke long enough to help.

Rotate the lever arm bracket slightly counter clockwise and see if that helps.

Somewhere in a thread that BE posted about this problem he describes looking down the empty primer tube and getting a final and perfect adjustment on the primer slide travel. The above things all affect the amount of travel of the primer slide. I looked but did not find the post I wanted (BE's) that describes it in detail.

When I have had problems as you describe these things have helped get things back perfect again........ :)

hang in there.

be careful putting too much weight on the primer follower rod. I've heard from a few people about detonating their tubes, and they figure that was the cause. One was a friend of mine who dumped in his primers, and then dropped the rod on top. Boooooom!.

• 2 months later...

Here is something from the "little things I've noticed" section :-)

The plastic tab that holds the cases in place in the priming station is pretty worn resulting in more-than-usual mis-primed cases. As it is always a bit cumbersome and expensive to order parts from dillon I was looking for another solution than replacing the tab.

The edge of the tab that has contact with the case had an indentation. This can be easily corrected with a fine file. Use the file affixed in a vise, moving the tab instead of the other way round. This guarantees a flat and even edge of the tab.

Next problem was, that the screw left a dent in the tab, therefore the tab always moved back to its initial position while being screwed down, instead of the new, correct position (which is now different as I filed off a few tenth of a mm. Solution was to use a relativly large washer (which I also filed off to avoid contact with the frame of the machine) between the tab and the screw.

EDIT: Added two pictures. Sorry for the blur, my cell can't do any better :-P

post-17092-126754533507_thumb.jpg

post-17092-126754533996_thumb.jpg

Edited by LoSTViKiNG

As it is always a bit cumbersome and expensive to order parts from dillon I was looking for another solution than replacing the tab.

I bought a couple of spare parts kits from Dillon for my presses -- they keep me loading. When I use something out of them, I get on the phone to order a replacement. I'm never allowed to pay for replacements for the 650, and it runs about 50-50 whether I get charged for small parts for the 1050....

I also bought a couple of ten packs of decapping pins --- since those get buggered up on a fairly regular basis --- and a few of the screws/nuts that hold them in place...

• 1 month later...

There is something which happens now and then and is very annoying. As it happened three times today during loading 400 rounds, I thought I ought to ask for your advice:

One case gets stuck in the funneled part of the case feeder which is causing a massive jam. As I have plenty of things to check while loading, my eyes normally aren't up there and I don't notice the problem until the cases are trippig on my head.

I tried to polish the plastic to make it more slick --> bad idea :-P

Any mods you could recommend to cure the problem?

EDIT: typo

post-17092-127023949643_thumb.jpg

Edited by LoSTViKiNG

You may need to either stiffen your bench or attach something to stabilize the case feed from swaying. That is what usually cases cases to flip sideways in the clear funnel. Some users anchor the case feed post to a wall to reduce movement.