Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using a Sling to stabilize off hand shots

My education with rifles had a primary focus on accuracy. Part of that included use of a sling to take steady off-hand shots. Wrapping the left arm in the sling serves to tighten the connection of the rifle to the shooter. Is this something done in 3-gun competition?

I have little to no interest in using a sling to carry a weapon through a course, just as a tool to steady unsupported shots.

Typically it is not worth the time. I'll get several shots off while you're screwing around with your sling which provides little real support in the offhand position.

I'll agree with both Kelly & Trapr. So long as you don't have to take that rifle off (i.e. screw with a sling hanging up on you), there's not a stable position available (i.e. something to brace against), then a sling is viable.

Of course...with a handy dandy 22 you can just practice building solid off hand positions too.

Rich

I also agree with all the above, in most 3 gun matches you can use a sling but even in USPSA you can't start with the sling wraped around your arm when the buzzer goes off. With all the other things on the stages to hang up on they are more of a hinderance than a help. Once you start with a sling you must continue with a sling in most matches too (can't change the configuration of the firearm from stage to stage)! They work great in some matches and like all other shooting venues...it is better to have a sling in you shooting bag...just in case:-)

Just my .02...

RLTW,

Scott

Edited by busyhawk

My education with rifles had a primary focus on accuracy. Part of that included use of a sling to take steady off-hand shots. Wrapping the left arm in the sling serves to tighten the connection of the rifle to the shooter. Is this something done in 3-gun competition?

I'd say no. I don't remember ever seeing anybody use a sling in 3 gun competition... period. At either offhand or any other position.

But I'd heard one of the local shooters used one a long time ago. I heard about it from a guy who was making fun of the guy who had used a sling.

"I'd say no. I don't remember ever seeing anybody use a sling in 3 gun competition... period. At either offhand or any other position."

I guess you need to shoot with some folks other than the ones you are used to. I run a Ching sling on my rifle all the time! I use it quite a bit. Eddie Rohdes uses one all the time as well. Kelly doesn't keep one on his rifle all the time, but I have seen him use it quit often.

With that said I never use it for off-hand as it just doesn't add enough support to make it worth slinging up, it is better just to develope a good off-hand position, now for sitting, kneeling, or prone, a Ching sling is the cats meow. I don't use it all the time, but it is on the rifle all the time and it isn't just for "snagging" on things. KurtM

Scott,

Beeeee careful!

I don't think any of the IMG matches have a rule about slinging up before the buzzer, and I think (I may be wrong thou) that USPSA rules allow it now as well...

jj

RS, either your memory is short or you're simply not looking hard enough. Like Kurt, I have had a sling on my rifle for the last 3-4yrs. It has not gotten in the way "yet", and has proven a nice asset when needed, it was used from the kneeling position at FB3G, 2 years ago. And was used several times at the BRM3G match, not just to carry the rifle.

Most people simply "use" a sling as a carry strap and not as a shooting aid, but I find this tendency to be much like the ability to "use" iron sights. People have them on the gun, but cannot use them to the full capability.

Trapr

I guess you need to shoot with some folks other than the ones you are used to. I run a Ching sling on my rifle all the time! I use it quite a bit. Eddie Rohdes uses one all the time as well. Kelly doesn't keep one on his rifle all the time, but I have seen him use it quit often.

With that said I never use it for off-hand as it just doesn't add enough support to make it worth slinging up, it is better just to develope a good off-hand position, now for sitting, kneeling, or prone, a Ching sling is the cats meow. I don't use it all the time, but it is on the rifle all the time and it isn't just for "snagging" on things. KurtM

I agree with Kurt once again! Except that is "quite" often not "quit." I have used a Ching sling sitting and kneeling and will continue to do so and I usually have one in my kit. I've gotten to appreciate the stability offered by the VTAC sling in the sitting and kneeling positions as wel. But I still don't think monkeying with a sling is worth in the offhand position.

• 4 weeks later...

I also will use a sling depending on the given situation. I have it on the gun always and sometimes use a small nylon strap to keep it out of the way. (I think I lost it at the last match in Missoula) It comes in very handy for long range.