Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W and Solo 1000

SA Friday

I loading .40 SW 4.45 grains Solo 1000 behind precision 185g RNFP at 1.162 COAL. My chronograph says it's making major but when fired at 50 dergrees F on a foggy day it was quite smoky. Any ideas on the smokiness? I was happy with this keg of powder using it for 45ACP.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did some testing last night to try and work this out. I did change barrels in my gun from prior testing. Picked up a KKM that I'll actually be shooting in this gun.

Glock 22 KKM barrel

4.9gn S1000 180gn precission delta FMJ

CCI SPP

1.125" OAL

938fps average over 10 shots for PF of 168. SD = 17 ES = 48

S1000 5.0gn 180gn precission delta FMJ

1.150" OAL

929fps average over 5 shots for PF of 167. SD = 15.5 ES = 41

1.125" OAL

946fps averagea over 5 shots for PF of 170. SD = 6 ES = 15

No pressure signs on any of the test rounds. some primer flattening, a slight amount more primer flow around the firing pin, but the edges were still round.

I'm confused by the data. Possible that the new barrel (had about 15 rounds of WWB through it prior to chrono) is throwing some of this off. In every lot except the 5.0 1.125", had at least 1 strange reading. the 4.9gn test had 2 that were way out of line with the others down down to 908FPS and 918fps. The 5.0gn 1.150" had one shot down to 903fps.

All of these rounds were loaded on Winchester head stamps. Crimp the same, same primers, same everything. It's almost like the barrel was slowing down as it warmed up. It's possible that part of this is due to the powder thrower on my 550B but my checks on it tells me it's pretty consistent and was set by average of 10 throws.

When it warms up, I'll re-shoot these lots and weigh each charge I think.

Did some testing last night to try and work this out. I did change barrels in my gun from prior testing. Picked up a KKM that I'll actually be shooting in this gun.

Glock 22 KKM barrel

4.9gn S1000 180gn precission delta FMJ

CCI SPP

1.125" OAL

938fps average over 10 shots for PF of 168. SD = 17 ES = 48

1.150" OAL

929fps average over 5 shots for PF of 167. SD = 15.5 ES = 41

1.125" OAL

946fps averagea over 5 shots for PF of 170. SD = 6 ES = 15

No pressure signs on any of the test rounds. some primer flattening, a slight amount more primer flow around the firing pin, but the edges were still round.

I'm confused by the data. Possible that the new barrel (had about 15 rounds of WWB through it prior to chrono) is throwing some of this off. In every lot except the 5.0 1.125", had at least 1 strange reading. the 4.9gn test had 2 that were way out of line with the others down down to 908FPS and 918fps. The 5.0gn 1.150" had one shot down to 903fps.

All of these rounds were loaded on Winchester head stamps. Crimp the same, same primers, same everything. It's almost like the barrel was slowing down as it warmed up. It's possible that part of this is due to the powder thrower on my 550B but my checks on it tells me it's pretty consistent and was set by average of 10 throws.

When it warms up, I'll re-shoot these lots and weigh each charge I think.

Looks fine to me. Longer rounds lower the pressure and frequently the velocity. 5.0 gr at 1.125 looks like it is ready for accuracy and POI testing.

• 1 month later...

I just received my order of Solo 1000. I started to work up the load, but ran into an issue.

5" Scheumann Barrel (Non-AET)

180gr MG JHP

QAL: 1.180

Magtech SPP

Mixed Range brass

ES for all strings ~35

SD for all strings ~11

10 shot strings

4.5gr Avg 782 fps

4.7gr Avg 805 fps

4.9gr Avg 840 fps

5.1gr Avg 885 fps

No pressure signs on the primers and 4.5gr is what I'm going to use as a steel load. Really flat and soft.

Now here is where things got a little odd.

5.3gr Avg 885 fps

Exactly the same as 5.1gr. I ran 3 strings of ten over the chrono just to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. All three strings with 5.3gr were within a couple fps of each other. Could I be compressing the load at 5.3gr? I'm going to shorten the OAL to the book specification and try again to work the load up.

Edited by 01G8R

Measurement error is a cold, hard fact of life that is not sexy at all but pops up a lot. Once I get dialed in with Solo, I do 2 or 3 test throw batches of 10 charges each and weigh each throw of 10 to make sure I am in fact throwing what I think I am throwing. Solo meters very well for me once set, but it can be goofy in getting settled after an adjustment, and an adjustment using the micrometer measure doesn't always do what it should. If it was me, I'd verify charge weights then load 10 more at 5.3 gr, and then reset and verify at 5.1 gr, make another 10 more rounds, and retest on the chrono.

I had a similar issue 2 years ago when I started with Solo, and it made me nervous about erratic pressure levels, especially since .40 major is off the reservation with Solo1000. I restarted and worked up in smaller increments, and the similar velocities in charge A and Charge B went away. Measurement error. Whether chrono or charge throw weight, I know not. I suspect charge weight.

I load 4.5 grains at 1.135 COAL with 185 precision RNFP. This makes major with my 8lb jug. I thought I might be compressing charges when trying 4.7 and 4.9 grains. They felt snappier but the chronograph gave very minor increases in velocity and more variation. I thought this could be from some charges compressing more than others.

I'm using EGW sizer that reduces diameter of case one thousandth so there is reduced case volume and basically a softer bullet that will yield a higher velocity for the charge weight.

Ok, using Unique right now but just ordered 8 lbs of Solo 1000 from Powder Valley and using 180 gr Billy Bullets.

Somebody mentioned that the 6" gun guys like a lighter bullet instead of the 180's. Billy Bullets offers a 150 gr semi-wadcutter. Anyone ever try these?

Brad

I think using a lighter bullet would defeat the reason for using a faster powder. I am using WSF w/165gr plated at a touch over 1000fps which some people believe to be the ceiling for lead/moly bullets. To make major you would need over 1100fps w/150 while with the 180 you would be down around 950fps. Unless you are shooting Open or just like a snappy gun then I think you would be happier with something big and slow. If you do a search you will find people loading a 200gr bullet.

must be snapping the gun back pretty good. I shoot 4.5 grains red dot and 180lfp and solo is a few notches higher on burn rate chat

Without comparing the OAL the comparison is moot. A round with Solo 1000 loaded to 1.2 OAL in comparison with Red Dot loaded to 1.135 OAL could very well act exactly the same.

Solo 1000 throws crappy. Simple fact. Measure each powder charge in every test round and chrono over and under .2gr of your pf mark. Solo 1000 will teach you a lot about your powder throw and system. Test rounds for measure adjustment at least every 25 rounds while reloading ammo.

I had problems where I went up in charge weight and the velocity didn't do anything. It was the powder throw. I went back and retested weighing every powder charge and adjusting them as needed and immediately saw quantative results.