Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok how do I DIY stipple my SV grip?

Timmy77

Anyone have a link on this? I don't want to ruin my grip. Or who can I send mine to that has a decent turn around time? I wanted to order a factory SV scotch grip but they don't make them anymore.

Thanks

Have you also considered the skateboard tape method? If you prefer the carved-on grip, then disregard this, but I have tried both, and there is no contest for me. The stippled plastic grips have never felt very good to me. It seems that regardless of how aggressive I made the stippling, the grip would always feel slippery, more so when I started to sweat. And the grip also tended to feel uncomfortable, as I put so many deep carves and sharp ridges on it. Once I switched to skateboard tape, I was happy. Just grind the grip down to the way you want it, cut out the tape and apply. A piece of grip tape usually lasts me about 4 months of shooting, and I simply replace it with another one when needed. In my opinion, it allows substantialy more contact area between your hand and the grip, than with a stippled plastic grip, thus allowing you to control recoil better.

My skateboard job is nothing special, but here is a picture to let you know what I am talking about

IMG_2563.jpg

Matt Cheely does awesome work on grips. I bought a custom LTD gun from him and liked his grips so much I had him do a couple more for me.

Keen1.jpg

If you want to get a hold of him, just PM him here.

Edited by Chris Keen

Why do you guys remove the checkering?

cause we're frikin crazy.

no really;

two reasons.

1. in order to slightly reduce the size of the grip, becasue in some instances, the texture of stippling will raise it back to factory size.

2. cosmetics and control. Stipple patterns look better often times when made on a smooth surface. There are also patterns that are best made on top of smooth plastic, without any extra plastic to mush and gush around.

no really;

two reasons.

1. in order to slightly reduce the size of the grip, becasue in some instances, the texture of stippling will raise it back to factory size.

2. cosmetics and control. Stipple patterns look better often times when made on a smooth surface. There are also patterns that are best made on top of smooth plastic, without any extra plastic to mush and gush around.

Thanks, I'll have to give this a go if I can find a good deal on a grip.

no really;

two reasons.

Thanks, I'll have to give this a go if I can find a good deal on a grip.

Yep, plus the checkering on the side really doesn't provide much grip. You can do most stippling patterns on the side checkering and have them turn out just fine, but if you try it on the mainspring housing or front strap there's too much material that will get melted and it'll look sloppy.

For folks considering this, the smaller the dimple size, the more ridges you have that get raised simply because there are more total dimples. So, a smaller dimple pattern is usually a bit grippier than if the dimples are bigger. R,

Thanks G-ManBart, I used your instructions to give my grip a double-under-cut and stipple the front strap. It worked like a charm.

I greatly appreciate the instructions that you were willing to share with me and the other forum members.

Thanks, Craig T.

Thanks G-ManBart, I used your instructions to give my grip a double-under-cut and stipple the front strap. It worked like a charm.

I greatly appreciate the instructions that you were willing to share with me and the other forum members.

Thanks, Craig T.

We gotta have pics Craig!

Thanks, Craig T.

Yeah, no kidding!

Thanks, Craig T.

Yeah, no kidding!

LOL, I new someone would ask. I'm not exactly sure how to post them but I'll take some and try to figure it out.

go to photobucket, open a free account, and upload them.

they make it easy.

copy & paste the " IMG Code " that you'll have under each pic in your album into your reply on this thread.

Nice work, Craig.....now, did you get your homework done yet???????? :P

<craig is becoming a very good Revo trigger man as well.....> damn kids

DougC

Homework?! School is for school, Home is for no school. :wacko: