Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you guys are

Sudden Death

I am thinking about switching to a 200g bullet in my 40 limited STI . Just wondering if it is worth it and what you guys are using too. :cheers:

I love a 200 grain bullet. If you do a search there are quite a few posts about guys reloading with 200grn bullets in .40s&w.

Here's some info:

200 grain bullet info

More 200 info

And a little more info

And finally

Edited by jasmap

I am thinking about switching to a 200g bullet in my 40 limited STI . Just wondering if it is worth it and what you guys are using too. :cheers:

You wil find a number of 200gr loads (lead and jacketed) on the IPSC Loads List at: http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf.

Note that this list was compiled when the power factor was 175, but the measured velocity is listed for each load.

I don't mean to thread-drift here, or steer you away from your desire to load 200 gr. 40's, but I opted to go the other way. I am using a 165 in 40 for a couple of reasons.

1. because they are cheaper than any other 40 available, and when you consider that the bullet is where the biggest chunk of money is spent when buying components, it just makes sense to save a couple dollars where that savings will have the biggest impact.

2. because If my ammo somehow doesn't make it to the match, I can go to Wal-Mart and buy some Winchester 165 grain 100 rd. Valu-Packs (well I used to be able to do that, and hopefully it will come back again someday) and they feed, shoot, chrono, and run 100% in my gun just like my hand-loads. I did some test-runs of Factory Win White Box a couple years ago before the price-spike.

Edited by Chris Keen

Hello,

I have been looking for a soft shooting Major PF load for .40 S&W for a long time. After searching this forum and doing testing in my gun, I came up with 200gr lead/moly loads that are great. I have used both Black Bullets and Bear Creek and they both work great. The benefits as I see it is the slower, rolling recoil that is similar to .45 ACP, as well as a bit more accuracy in my guns at least. I think this is because the bullets are longer than the 180s, 165s, 155, etc, and have a longer bearing surface. My wife never liked shooting .40 when I loaded the lighter bullets. Now she loves it and wants to step up to shooting major PF in L-10 rather than minor like she was before.

My load is 4.2gr of Vit. N320, Winchester Small pistol primer, 200gr lead-moly TC, mixed brass, OAL of 1.190", thru a 2 different STI 5" tacticals.

Hope that helps,

Cheers623

DVC

Hello: I like the 185's for a 5" and the 170's for the 6". The 200 grain bullets is what I use in the 45 :cheers: Thanks, Eric

In my 6" STI I am currently using 180gr Zero JHPs (over 4.7gr VV N320 at 1.188 OAL for about 169PF), but I was considering trying out some Moly loads - possibly either the 185gr or 200gr Precisions... why do you prefer the 170 in your 6" vs the 185 in your 5"?

Edited by Xfactor

I've been shooting 200 grain bullets for over 10 years. I've tried the others (170, 180, 185) for major and always go back to the 200s.

Why? What is the specific reason to go to the 200 grain?

I've run 200 TC moly coated bullets, but didn't see any difference.

Thanks, Buddy

Hello: I like the 185's for a 5" and the 170's for the 6". The 200 grain bullets is what I use in the 45 :cheers: Thanks, Eric

In my 6" STI I am currently using 180gr Zero JHPs (over 4.7gr VV N320 at 1.188 OAL for about 169PF), but I was considering trying out some Moly loads - possibly either the 185gr or 200gr Precisions... why do you prefer the 170 in your 6" vs the 185 in your 5"?

I have experienced the same thing. My 5" Dawson Edge doesn't care what you feed it. They all shoot the same and my 6" likes the 175 LSWC best. It will feed and shoot the others, but best results are with the 175 grain bullets.

When I tried the 200's I didn't see and increase in accuracy or reduced felt recoil.....so I went back to my other bullets.

Howard Smith likes the 220 grain bullets and I have been thinking of buying a few to try. Probably next order I'll buy a thousand to check out.

Buddy

Hello: I think alot of it comes down to how you drive your gun. With the 6' the sights seem to realign faster for me using the 170's because of the longer slide. On the 5" the 185's are perfect for me. It is a timing thing as well depending on how fast you want to get back on target. Whether you like a quick snap or a slower push on the slide is up to you. I would use the timer as your best judge as well as your hits :cheers: Hope I explaned this well enough since I am still new to all this? Now I have to start working up some 9mm loads :surprise: Thanks, Eric