Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grandmaster sporadic hammer follow

Zerwas

I seem to have a hammer follow problem with my STI Grandmaster open pistol. BUT, it only happens every 275-300 rounds (usually match time..argh).

I tweaked the far left sear spring foreword and I allowed for a bit more overtravel (from the recommendation off this board) but it just happened again yesterday during a practice session. Any additional suggestions to try out? Other than the sporadic hammer follow it runs like a swiss army watch...

Any help would be appreciated.

I seem to have a hammer follow problem with my STI Grandmaster open pistol. BUT, it only happens every 275-300 rounds (usually match time..argh).

I tweaked the far left sear spring foreword and I allowed for a bit more overtravel (from the recommendation off this board) but it just happened again yesterday during a practice session. Any additional suggestions to try out? Other than the sporadic hammer follow it runs like a swiss army watch...

You need to either restone the hammer and sear hooks or replace with new set.

MDA

/quote]

Check to make sure there is no contact between hammer strut and center of spring.

Also check that you can't force the spring far enough left to fall off.

Sherwyn

I ran in to a similar problem with a Edge. It turned out that the frame was completely in spec, the hammer and sear were mated correctly with more than enough travel in the trigger.

After spending some $$$ to get a pro to fix it, it wound up back at STI under warranty. They found that that grip was out of spec. Something to consider.

I had the same problem this weekend with a gun I was working on (turned it into a full auto by accident!). I had a different leaf spring that I re-bent, and then also polished the sear and disconnector. How much material have you removed from the hammer?

Thanks to everyone who responded to give me their thoughts on the problem.

I had my good buddy Duke Seibold (seiboldmetalworks) look at it. Turns out the sear was rounded. He said he was surprized it didn't hammer follow on me more than what it did.

He worked his majic on it and the pistol has worked flawlessly since!

Thanks again ya'll!