Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Canyon Creek Area 5 Championships

I think Area 6 has the best schedule I have experienced. You can shoot one day or two half days. All day Friday, all day Saturday, or Saturday morning Sunday morning or Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

If you need to shoot and scoot you have that available. If you are older and don't like shooting all the stages in one day now, for whatever reason, you have that option also.

I like the option to either shoot in one or two halves too. It allows for everyone to get to shoot... I remember shooting the IL Sec a couple of years ago and we had people passing out from the heat. I alomost didn't finish that match. The last three or four stages I was just in survival mode.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Area 6 has the best schedule I have experienced. You can shoot one day or two half days. All day Friday, all day Saturday, or Saturday morning Sunday morning or Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

If you need to shoot and scoot you have that available. If you are older and don't like shooting all the stages in one day now, for whatever reason, you have that option also.

That's very doable. I'll keep it in mind. I like giving the shooters as much options as possible.

Frank

Where would you come up with the people to do that? It sounds good, but might be hard to get enough people to do it.

How about inquiring with a local Boy Scout Troop. This could be a great fundraiser for them. Having someone available to paste and reset the stage would be great! And it would give us an opportunity to give back to the community.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to go with the following plans...

Squads 1-10 will be Staff on Thursday

Squads 11-23 - Friday 1-Day

Squads 101-106 - Saturday 1-Day

Squads 201-206 - Saturday A.M./Sunday P.M.

Squads 301-306 - Saturday P.M./Sunday A.M

Squads 401-406 - Sunday 1-Day

This way, people can choose if they want to shoot all in one day, or half and half format.

I'm going to go with 11 stages + Chrono. Round count will be somewhere between 225-250

40 minutes per stage. 9 person limit per squad. This puts the time from 8:00am-5:00pm, with an hour for lunch built in.

I still haven't decided on what to do with prizes, but what I am leaning towards is minor prizes (slide lube, t-shirts, hats, ect) being done double blind during registration and major prizes (guns, reloading presses, cash ect) being done by a prize schedule that will be established prior to the match (High overall gets this, 1st D Revo gets that, ect). It saves everyone from having to stick around for the prize table, but still rewards performance. I'll mail out the major prizes that people don't stick around for (or to their ffl's for guns).

Let me know what you think.

Frank

Edited by Franklin D Wolverton

Performance should be rewarded. However, the older I get, I cannot shoot up to my classification. Doesn't seem likely they will lower my classification so it there is a way to make everyone happy, go for it. You won't please everyone. If they don't like the way you give away the prizes, let them stay home. Just my oppinion. Hope I get to shoot it. Bshooter

Performance should be rewarded. However, the older I get, I cannot shoot up to my classification. Doesn't seem likely they will lower my classification so it there is a way to make everyone happy, go for it. You won't please everyone. If they don't like the way you give away the prizes, let them stay home. Just my oppinion. Hope I get to shoot it. Bshooter

Actually... if you haven't shot up to your classification in awhile, you can request to be lowered to where you currently are. The trick is that you can't have ANY classifier scores in your current class for like the last two years.

Frank

I must have not explained it very well...

I still haven't decided on what to do with prizes, but what I am leaning towards is minor prizes (slide lube, t-shirts, hats, ect) being done double blind during registration and major prizes (guns, reloading presses, cash ect) being done by a prize schedule that will be established prior to the match (High overall gets this, 1st D Revo gets that, ect). It saves everyone from having to stick around for the prize table, but still rewards performance. I'll mail out the major prizes that people don't stick around for (or to their ffl's for guns).

I fully intend to reward performance... just don't want to make everyone stick around two to three hours after the match is over for the prize table. This way, everyone gets a minor prize, think of it as a door prize, and the division/class winners get the major prize on the list published before the match.

Since it seems to me that somewhere between 50-80% of major prize table winnings end up for sale on Brian's Fabulous Forums within a week of the match anyway... :roflol: I didn't figure many people would have a problem with a prize schedule instead of picking off the table. With the schedule, you don't have to stick around if you don't want to, and the Friday and Saturday shooters don't have to worry about getting screwed... I'll mail out the prize.

At least this way, you'll know what your in competition for from the beginning...

I may have a gun or two as well for raffle or random draw (or some kind of funky way of awarding it... who shoots closest to the top edge of their class without going over, most number of A hits, fewest penalty hits or something like that). That depends on the funding. I don't want to go overboard on the prize table... I want to keep the match fee's reasonable.

Thats my thinking.

Frank

I like that method. Also, don't force early registration, it's getting to the point where I can't attend Thursday-registration matches, I'm out of vacation days. Let me register over the web, via the phone, send you an email saying "I'm here!" and pick up my stickers an hour before I start.

H.

I like that method. Also, don't force early registration, it's getting to the point where I can't attend Thursday-registration matches, I'm out of vacation days. Let me register over the web, via the phone, send you an email saying "I'm here!" and pick up my stickers an hour before I start.

H.

I second that one!!

H.

That be my plan, and it's what I've always done for our larger matches.

I don't like hotel registration... it screws the local people, forces those who live "close but not THAT close" to spend the night, and makes my and the stats crews day that much longer. They need sleep to... :)

People will have the OPTION of:

1. Register at the range any day of the match before their shoot day;

2. Registering at the range the morning of their shoot. Me and my stats crew will be there at 6:30am for an 8:00am start.

Frank

• 1 month later...

Y'all thought I was kidding about the Blazing Saddles theme...

I've got the preliminary stages done... now I'm just kicking them around in my head for a while, let a couple of the RMI's look at them, ect... Then I'll send them to John for approval. (And no... you can't see them) :ph34r:

12 stages (11 + Chrono) 244 rounds.

Stage 1 Number 6

Stage 2 “Oh Boys, Lookee What I got Heyuh!”

Stage 3 “A Wed Wose, How Womantic.”

Stage 4 “I Wouldn’t Do That if I Were You.”

Stage 5 “Badges? We Don’t Need No Stinking Badges!”

Stage 6 “Nowhere Special” (CM 99-62 Band and Clang)

Stage 7 “Now It’s a Time of Great Decision…” (Chronograph)

Stage 8 “Now Go Do, That Voodoo, That You Do So Well.”

Stage 9 Schnitzengruben

Stage 10 “We’ve Been Suckered In!”

Stage 11 “I Think You’ve Had Enough!”

Stage 12 “Excuse Me While I Whip This Out.”

I'm gonna have a blast with the props on this one :cheers:

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to add another classifier... the match will now be 12 stages + Chrono, with 2 of the stages being classifiers.

At this point, the minimum round count is 258.

The underlined ones are new stages... If I have to tell you who Jesse Owens is... read some history :) It'll give you an idea as to they type of stage...

Stage 1 Number 6 20rd Comstock

Stage 2 “Oh Boys, Lookee What I got Heyuh!” 24rd Virginia Count

Stage 3 “A Wed Wose, How Womantic.” 20rd Comstock

Stage 4 “I Wouldn’t Do That if I Were You.” 14rd Comstock

Stage 5 “Badges? We Don’t Need No Stinking Badges!” 20rd Comstock

Stage 6 “Nowhere Special” (CM 99-62 Band and Clang) 8rd Comstock

Stage 7 Schnitzengruben (CM 99-22 Nuevo El Presidente) 12rd Virginia Count

Stage 7A “Now It’s a Time of Great Decision…” (Chronograph)

Stage 8 “Now Go Do, That Voodoo, That You Do So Well.” 26rd Comstock

Stage 9 “And now, for my next impression, Jesse Owens.” 32rd Comstock

Stage 10 “We’ve Been Suckered In!” 32rd Comstock

Stage 11 “I Think You’ve Had Enough!” 22rd Comstock

Stage 12 “Excuse Me While I Whip This Out.” 20rd Comstock

I didn't volunteer to set this stuff up did I? :unsure:

No... you didn't :cheers:

My main plans (right now) are...

1. Stage 10 (We've been suckered in)... gotta build the fake people...

2. Stage 11 (I think you've had enough)... the sign at the beginning of the scene that says "Knock on barbed wire before entering"

3. Entrance to the range.. "Gov William J. LePetomaine Thruway"

I REALLY want to have someone at the entrance collecting dimes for entrance to the match... :roflol:

I'm sure I'll come up with more after I watch the movie another 50 times.

Frank

Edited by Franklin D Wolverton

• 3 weeks later...

I'll set the sucker up if you change one of the names to "Pardon me while I whip this out!"

lol Screw the politics... it's a great name for a stage. :)

Standing with heals on Xs, Strong hand on zipper weak hand on inseam! Upon start signal "whip it out and engage as visible." We could get some of those bent over gardeners that people put up in their yards. You know the ones I mean.... :roflol:

I'll set the sucker up if you change one of the names to "Pardon me while I whip this out!"

lol Screw the politics... it's a great name for a stage. :)

Standing with heals on Xs, Strong hand on zipper weak hand on inseam! Upon start signal "whip it out and engage as visible." We could get some of those bent over gardeners that people put up in their yards. You know the ones I mean.... :roflol:

Actually... the quote is "Excuse me while I whip this out"... and look at stage 12...

BTW... the dates have been fixed on the USPSA website...

Frank

I was talkign to some shooters at Area 6 and we agreed it would be worth 10.00 a shooter to get a group to paste and set steel for the 10.00 a shooter. 300 shooters is 3000.00, not bad. If that was the case with 6-8 man squads i could do 10-12 stages in 1 day. No way I could do 12 stages in one day with large squads. I am just getting to old to do that and would prefer to shoot over 2 days in that case. It doesnt have to be all one way or the other , you can offer options. I used to love the way Pat and Wayne used to do the Aware. 13 stages in half a day, 6 man squads, no pasting or resetting. It was an intense shooting experience.

The prize table and awards is the downfall of most matches. People just cant stand around and wait forever to do a prize table and awards. So forgo the prize table. Its also not right to award a gun to a division winner where there was 10 shooters and not award a gun to class that had 30 shooters. Too many winners. Give most the prizes to the Ro's since they are the ones working their butts off. Do the rest as a random draw for the shooters. Make it a trophy only but give out nice trophies as a trade off.

Post scores as quick as possible after the last shot is fired and post a preliminary results. Dont keep it all a secret. This is another downfall of many matches. It should be a top priority. Its the last impression the shooter has of your match.

Have fun stages.

Where would you come up with the people to do that? It sounds good, but might be hard to get enough people to do it.

Yeah and who's gonna watch them...the RO's?????