Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullet feeders?

FWIW....fits Red, Blue, and Green presses, pistol jacketed bullets only....(currently)

i have about 25K rounds through my KISS bulletfeeder on a 650 - mostly .45 ACP 200 gr LSWC and .38 special loading either 125 gr rn or 147gr truncated nose .355 bullets (taper crimping). have generally no problems running lead projectiles through the bulletfeeder but you do need to stop every 500 - 1000 rounds and do a diligent cleaning of the bullet collator wheel and the inside of the feeder assembly (including the bullet dropper). Issue is that bullet lube collects on those surfaces and produces a sticky buildup that will impair function and (eventually) introduce jams. I also use spray a bit of hornady one shot to in the collator bowl when adding new lead bullets to help them slide down the spring guide and through the dropper with a bit less drag, but this only forestalls the cleaning cycle a bit.

truth is that I only mind the cleaning intervals required by lead projectiles when i have been previously loading jacketed bullets. loading 9mm ball, you can literally sit there for hours like a monkey playing a slot machine - between the case feeder and bullet feeder, you just keep your eye on the cartridge as it advances past the powder drop and check the powder charge. induces a zen-like feeling of relaxation... my $.02

-jared

• 2 months later...

Im considering a bullet feeder...is it really worth it? the MR Bulletfeeder kinda looks like just some bits of plastic pipe and seems pricey for what it is.

Im currently waiting on the arrival of an xl650 and am looking forward to the speed increase from using a square deal....how much of a speed increase do you get with a bulletfeeder?

Im considering a bullet feeder...is it really worth it? the MR Bulletfeeder kinda looks like just some bits of plastic pipe and seems pricey for what it is.

Im currently waiting on the arrival of an xl650 and am looking forward to the speed increase from using a square deal....how much of a speed increase do you get with a bulletfeeder?

I'm sure if you'd like, Rick will be happy to offer a platinum plated machined stainless steel version for 2k, but it won't work any better.

While there is an obvious increase in loading speed, the value for me is ergonomic and reduced stress. I have less to distract me. My role is reduced to simply ensuring a smooth transition of the handle from stop to stop. Every 100 rounds, I stop to top up the primers, and toss another box into the RF100. Every second time I stop, I also top up the bullet feeder.

040.jpg

042.jpg

Dave:

You could get rid of some of the clutter from the bench by mounting the power bar to the rafters and having the cables run to the ceiling.

I mounted a bunch of sockets up there.

When I built my bench at the last house, I made the mistake of building the shelves before I had time to figure out the flow of the bench and where I really needed stuff. This time I left the backing board bare until I had time to live with it for a while.

Has anyone tried the GSI bullet feeder?

Yes, and won't talk bad about it but will say I have 4 GSI Toolheads feed by a KISS bullet feeder. I really, really like having the powder check option which I can with the GSI toolhead in place. I did have to modify the GSI bullet chute and hot glue the "wire" tube from the KISS collator but it works like a champ. I have > 200,000 rounds through this setup and LOVE it!

Here are a few of pic's with my .38 Super setup.

100_0162.jpg

100_0165.jpg

100_0167.jpg

100_0169.jpg

and no....you can't have any of my primers.... :roflol:

Lee

FWIW....fits Red, Blue, and Green presses, pistol jacketed bullets only....(currently)https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServle...;productId=6100...for sale here....

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?ite...dir=210|211|249

Ok. So does anyone here have the RCBS version? If so, how is it working for you?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the GSI bullet feeder?

I tried one on my 1050 and couldn't get it to work reliably.

It was a real pain... because you have to remove the Dillon tool head and use the one supplied by GSI. You also have to relocate the case feeder...to the back.

The issues I had:

The cam that operates the bullet plate just wouldn't work right and wouldn't rotate all t he time...so the bullets wouldn't feed. That was the deal killer. I was able to get about 100 through without a jam...then it stopped working again. I'm fairly mechanically inclined...but I just gave up.

Where you relocate the case feeder also causes a few issues. One...there is a gap with the replacement tube that transports the cases from the collator to the base feeding station...it did cause the odd case to jam in the funnel... The one that really perplexed me is once you relocate the case feeder (and there's only one location) you can no longer feed primers in. The new location of the case feeder get's in the way of being able to hold the primer tube vertically to refill the primer feed. I still can't believe someone would design something that stupid.

The one I bought was previously owned...but never used. I have no idea how old it was...and if these issues have been addressed in a newer version.

Anyway...I bought a Mr Bulletfeeder instead. Rick called me at work yesterday...and it was in the mail and one the way before the day was out.

Very nice guy...

FYI...the GSI was a nice looking piece of kit...and it would have allowed me to keep the powder check die on station 6...but far too many issues (IMO)

Edited by Quigley

Thanks Quigley, that's what I needed to know. When you ask Dillon, they recommend the GSI and I was even told that guy was part of the Dillon machine development team so you'd think if anyone could make a bullet feeder that would work he could. Looks like it is going to be a "Mr. Bulletfeeder" for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Quigley, that's what I needed to know. When you ask Dillon, they recommend the GSI and I was even told that guy was part of the Dillon machine development team so you'd think if anyone could make a bullet feeder that would work he could. Looks like it is going to be a "Mr. Bulletfeeder" for me.

Mine arrived safe and sound a few days ago. Less than 2 weeks from door to door...and that included clearing customs into Canada. I read through the directions...and had it installed and running in about 90 mins. This is how a 1050 should run :cheers:

I loved my 550...but it seemed like I never had ammo loaded. It's good for lower volumes of several calibers. With this new setup...I have piles loaded and ready to go. I actually enjoy reloading again. The 1050 is just about imposable to jam up...and the Mr Bulletfeeder seems every bit as reliable.

I did a test run of 1,000 rounds of 9 major. Even at a rather relaxed pace...it only took 40 minutes.

Buy one...you won't regret it

Edited by Quigley