Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please add GPS cordinates to the range directions

It would be sooooooooooooo helpful if someone with a gps would give the cordinates to the MD (if he/she doesn't have GPS) and post it on the website. It's very hard to find some matches especially when they don't have a physical address.

thanks,

Shawn G.

Excellent suggestion. I love it when GPS coordinates are listed online for places that I intend to visit, it is very helpful. Although I'm sure that there are a lot of GPS users out there that don't even know how to manually enter the coordinates into their units.

Nothing beats Google maps with a satellite image of the range berms and entrance. See my map in my sig line.

I refuse to provide GPS coordinates, because shooter A gives me exact coordinates which shooter B says are off by miles, then shooter B gives me exact coordinates that shooter C says are off by miles.

GET A MAP.

Probably be smart to include the STATE in the title of the thread, especially for local matches (but big matches too).

And, include the date in the thread title.

That's a pet peeve of mine. A match announcment with just the name of the club. Then you go look at the application/web site and you STILL can't find a city or state, or worse, just the name of the club with no links so you have to google it and hope you have the right place. Let's cover the basics at a minimum, Who, What, WHERE, WHEN, and HOW you sign up.

The GPS is a good idea but a physical address is the best to me. I still read a map and don't have a GPS so the google map coordinates don't help me at all. I have emailed a few clubs to ask where they are located because all they had was GPS on their site.

Dale

I would prefer to have an address of the range, which often is not on the website for the range even. I use Google Maps and a Garmin GPS when I go ranges. Many give directions on how to get to thier range (from the north, south, etc...), but no destination address. Give me at least a block number if the range has no specific address please. ;)

Nothing beats Google maps with a satellite image of the range berms and entrance. See my map in my sig line.

I refuse to provide GPS coordinates, because shooter A gives me exact coordinates which shooter B says are off by miles, then shooter B gives me exact coordinates that shooter C says are off by miles.

GET A MAP.

I have bought / used many online maps. the problem is if you use google maps / expedia / mapquest you can get different end points even with the same address!!! Sorry but the $300.00 I spent on a GPS is by far the BEST investment next to a gun for this sport.

I hate it also when a club is putting on a match and doesn't have city state and like someone else said, doesn't even list it on their website. I have never had a problem using coordinates with GPS. as long as you have a good GPS unit, you should be within feet of that exact location.

And one thing that might cause problems if your range is located a block or more from the front gate and people pull down to the range and then use that coordinates. If you save the coordinates at the gate off of the main road you shouldn't have a problem. I've been to matches that are 5-6 hours away and when you call for directions you get things like - go down old states hiway and turn 1/2 past old man smiths house, etc....

I am building a database to all ranges that I visit and have passed that info on to friends and they said it takes you right to the gate!!!!

At Miculek idpa I have included:

-gps coordinates

-map

-specific turn by turn directions

I also am a GPS junkie.

I had been checking satallite imagery for years, even before it was the popular thing to do. I can remember the first us geological survey images in black and white. Now it's all color.

Boy do things change.