Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning AR comp "Thor"

SHELLFISH17

I just wanted to tell people about a newer comp to the market. In my opinion it is in the top 3 of all the comps on the market. These comps come in 3 different tapers for different barrel diameters and 3 different finishes, depending on your barrel. Henning has hit a home run with this design and I am very happy with my 4.

Here is one of mine on my JP 20"

IMG_1154.jpg

I just wanted to tell people about a newer comp to the market. In my opinion it is in the top 3 of all the comps on the market. These comps come in 3 different tapers for different barrel diameters and 3 different finishes, depending on your barrel. Henning has hit a home run with this design and I am very happy with my 4.

Here is one of mine on my JP 20"

IMG_1154.jpg

I like it.

I have guns with all 3 of the best comps on them. If there is a difference it is minimal. I like all of them as they all work well. I have had a thor comp on a 18" barrel for about 2 years and it works very good. I have also had exteremly good luck with the JP Cooley comp. I have just built a rifle using the F2 comp and it performs very good. Shooting all 3 side by side(they are all 18" rifles) it is hard to pick a winner, or really tell a difference. But I have been happy with the results of the guns with these comps on them. You really cannot go wrong with Hennings comp, nor JP's or the F2.

Great looking comp!

A little backstory...we sent the F2 CAD files to Henning's shop while we were in price negotiations to produce a run of F2 for us, as our job shop was way behind. They had no interest in doing a few hundred F2's for us, but the next month the Thor came out... :cheers:

If you run a Google search on "F2 Compensator", look at whose webpage comes up as number "2" after Flatland Forge (our original job shop) ;)

Yep, that is a great looking comp!

Alex

I really hate to be a big poo-poo, but.......I've been trying to tame down a piston operated POF 18". Great rifle, but all that hardware moving back and forth increases the recoil impulse. So I've tried a number of comps to try to keep it on target better. I've tried: the DNTC, Miculek, Tti, Bennie Hill Rolling Thunder, Bennie Cooley, and F2. In this gun, the 2 least effective comps were the DNTC and the F2. And I prefer the smaller size and less noise with the DNTC.

I recently tried the F2 thinking it had a great chance to hold the gun down, but I can hardly tell the difference between the F2 and no comp at all. I don't really know why, but all I can say is that for me, and I know that recoil perception is very subjective, the F2 didn't begin do the job in my piston gun. So, if the Henning comp is a similar design to the F2, I don't hold out much hope that it is my answer. It looks, though, like there are enough design differences that it may be worth a try....or not. B)

The Rolling Thunder was better, but not quite what I wanted. I have it on a 16" DPMS now and it's VERY effective on that gun. Right now I'm using the Cooley on the POF, and it seems to work fairly well. It and the Miculek seem to be pretty similar in their effectiveness, but I think the Miculek may be slightly softer. The Tti was not what I was looking for. As a comp, it's very effective. In fact there was a slight muzzle dip with it. I didn't like having to recover up from recoil, though. It just seems to go against nature! It was also very loud (so is the Miculek) and it made the gun 'feel' sharper. The Tti also resulted in a big change in point of impact. Not sure why, but shots were going 8 or 10 inches above where the gun was sighted in for. I've pretty much given up on making the POF shoot like a di gun. I think I'm fighting the laws of physics. :rolleyes:

You're right. I love the gun and have been using it for a couple years in 3 gun, but I may have to spring for one of your uppers (or JP) when I get everything else paid for. Maybe just save the piston for Ironman, where reliability is king.

You are not the only one to notice that effect with piston uppers. Once the next batch of POF uppers gets here, Fred and I will see what we can come up with ;)

Alex

Sounds good! Let me know if you get some good results. :cheers: