Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Its better to look good than to shoot good

sslav

So I put together a Glock limited gun and refinished it with a really racy red and white duracoat paint job. After it was all finished I had placed it in the safe and left it alone for a while as I mostly shoot production. And all of my limited classifiers to that point were out of my production gear with minor loads. I did bring it out for one practice match and did not do well at all. The hits were on the sloppy side. I chalked it off to not being used to the gun balance and the major loads. I also did not feel comfortable with the race holster and mag placement. So I put it back in the safe and shot single stack for a while then went back to production. Finally I decided that I was going to shoot limited again. I did about a week of dry fire to get used to the gear and took that gun to a match. It was a disaster. I could not hit poppers to save my life and had a bunch of mikes. Anything that was further out than say 7-10 yards seemed to be more a matter of luck than intent. The whole thing was actually rather disheartening. I was bummed out the entire ride home. I got home and still can't get over the lousy performance I just had. So I take the gun out and start dry firing it. And my sights are rock steady - not even a tiny movement. I just can't figure it out. How could I have been missing those mini poppers? Then the realization hits me and I have to share this tip with everyone else.

When you remove the sights to refinish your slide, do not forget to go to the range and sight the gun in once you put them back!

When you remove the sights to refinish your slide, do not forget to go to the range and sight the gun in once you put them back!

:roflol:

I hate that for you, man, but....

:roflol:

• 3 weeks later...
So I put together a Glock limited gun and refinished it with a really racy red and white duracoat paint job. After it was all finished I had placed it in the safe and left it alone for a while as I mostly shoot production. And all of my limited classifiers to that point were out of my production gear with minor loads. I did bring it out for one practice match and did not do well at all. The hits were on the sloppy side. I chalked it off to not being used to the gun balance and the major loads. I also did not feel comfortable with the race holster and mag placement. So I put it back in the safe and shot single stack for a while then went back to production. Finally I decided that I was going to shoot limited again. I did about a week of dry fire to get used to the gear and took that gun to a match. It was a disaster. I could not hit poppers to save my life and had a bunch of mikes. Anything that was further out than say 7-10 yards seemed to be more a matter of luck than intent. The whole thing was actually rather disheartening. I was bummed out the entire ride home. I got home and still can't get over the lousy performance I just had. So I take the gun out and start dry firing it. And my sights are rock steady - not even a tiny movement. I just can't figure it out. How could I have been missing those mini poppers? Then the realization hits me and I have to share this tip with everyone else.

Ugh, I truly feel for you on that one. Took my XD with its fancy new FO site to a classifier match. After the 4th stage of sub 1 HF, I was beyond ready to pack it in. Finally decided to check things out, get to the safe area, and my front site is hanging off the right side of the gun just enough that when I touched it, it fell into my hand.

Had to shoot the last 3 stages with no front site. Still shot horribly, but was comforted knowing that it wasn't ALL my bad shooting's fault.

I had an issue at the Area 6 this year. Got to my last stage "Field of Steel II" and couldn't hit anything. I was looking forward to this one stage all year long and couldn't have done worse if I had tried. Got to the safe area to bag my pistol and noticed the front sight was nearly off of the slide and the rear sight was loose too. I zeroed the stage! The moral of this story....If you take your pistol apart make sure you check everything out before you go to a match.

Every time I clean my Glock 34 I give the Dawson FO front site a little nudge...more than once it moved a little, a sure sign that it needs to be removed, re-Loctited and tightened back down.

Better on the bench that at a match.

I do remember one match where I used a folded up target paster colored with a black Sharpie to make a sight for someone whose front sight disappeared mid-match...the guy didn't do that bad with it, considering :roflol:

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Another tip, if you do any kind of bake on spray on refinish scrape it down to bare metal under the sight if your going to locktie it. Lokctite needs some metal contact to set up correctly and the bake on finish doesn' allow that or give it anything to stick to.