Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt 6940

STInky

Has anyone had their hands on this newly released rifle from Colt ???? It's the one piecemonolithic upper with a full railed, free float hand guard. The bottom section of the handguard is removable....for those who would liek to add a grenade launcher :rolleyes: .

Anyhow, these things have been selling for $2K + and I've got a chance to get one at what I consider a steal.....just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these rifles...

There is a big picture thread over on AR15.com if you want to check it out.

Edited by STInky

Hell, it is a COLT AR......I wouldnt hesitate buying it. They know what they are doing with the ARs and put a lot of things into the guns per the Military contract that a lot of the other makers do not due to price points. If you are happy with the price and it is what you want grab it and dont look back.....

DougC

Has anyone had their hands on this newly released rifle from Colt ???? It's the one piecemonolithic upper with a full railed, free float hand guard. The bottom section of the handguard is removable....for those who would liek to add a grenade launcher :rolleyes: .

Anyhow, these things have been selling for $2K + and I've got a chance to get one at what I consider a steal.....just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these rifles...

Lots better AR makers out there if you want to pull anything close to $2K out of your pocket.

I REALLY like the continuous rail across the top. :cheers:

mucho flexibility for mounting optics.

I wish they made a rifle length upper like that.

while COLT might cost more than your typical DPMS, RRA, etc, they also use 1:7 4150 chrome lined barrels, magnetic particle inspected bolts, mil-spec buffer tubes, etc., that make COLT a quality rifle.

HPIM7487.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have one, very nice. Good back up sights, nice rail, light and handy, small pin. Trigger sucked so I swapped it out. Put a brake on it. It'll get wrung out at a carbine course in June.

There are probably better custom shops (Benny, JP, MSTN, etc), but the Colt was in stock!

Still has a CAR gas system, so it will be as harsh to shoot as any other M4/CAR variant. Long rail adds nothing unless you want to mount a scope there - for 3 gun there are cheaper solutions to the same problem (LaRue SPR-E). I'm not a fan of railed handguards anyway... I prefer a plain vanilla FF tube. For 3 gunning, there are better ways to spend $2K. JMHO.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I can't speak for this model, but I own ONE colt AR, and I will never buy another. They are coasting on a reputation (that is my opinion, not that it matters, and yours may vary). For the same money, you can buy a lot BETTER rifle from JP or LT. Like I said, just my opinion, yours may vary. If someone is a huge colt fan, they can buy mine!! But it will be replace with a better gun. I'm not trying to be a hater either. There is nothing wrong with having a gun to shoot that is a lot of fun, but it is a lot different going to matches and actually needing to HIT a small target at long range. Want to hose paper plates at 100yds, have a blast....

Lots better AR makers out there if you want to pull anything close to $2K out of your pocket.

Colt is one of the best. I like Noveske and Larue as well.

Have one in stock at work. Just like a regular Colt AR, just heavier and rougher on the hands.

<-- not super impressed by the Hartford Horsey. point out to me why, specifically, that they are better. I liken them to Harley Davidson, name brand recognition. <_<

Mine came with ladder type rail covers, took about 3 minutes to trim them up and put them on, not rough on my hands at all. I don't have the exact wieghts, but it isn't much heavier than the 6920. The rail is nice for mounting optics, especially if you want to put night vision or a magnifier in tandem with a Aimpoint or Eotech or scope. I've seen free float tubes shoot loose at the ITRC, never saw a monolithic railed free float tube come loose. Colt taper pins its gas blocks, I've never seen one of these shoot loose, I have seen a plethora of other types of gas blocks shoot loose. All bolts can break if shot enough, but Colts have a reputation for good bolts, Pat Rogers wrote something about this. Colt evidently does some non-destructive testing that not all bolt manufacturers do, sounds like a good idea to me. Colt uses chrome lined barrels/chambers, good idea for a rifle that will see 1,000 rds a day at a course, or 400 rds in 20 minutes at the ITRC. I have 3 20" Colt barrels that will shoot 1 MOA or better with good ammo, that's about all I require from an AR.

I've got a golf bag full of nice ARs, the 6940 is a 9 iron, don't hate it because it's not a driver.

And finally, I guessed you missed the part about the easy grenade launcher mounting capabilities...that there is solid win!

Edited by John Dunn

As a Colt owner, I'll say they're highly overrated. This one definitely has all the "cool", mall ninja's drooling I'm sure. Nothing wrong with it for 3-Gun, but just not for me. Carbine gas system is okay and the harshness is mitigated with a comp.

I have 2 Colt lowers only 'cause they're registered in this state. I'll definitely never buy another.

Rich

Guess I should have stated that I have a Colt, 6920. Yeah, it ain't bad, but I don't think it wil ldo anything my other purpose built guns will do. I have others with chrome lined bore and barrels, MPI tested carriers and bolts, ... It doesn't shoot any better than some Bushys or DPMS's I've had. And if (or when, as I have a Magpul class coming up) I shoot a rifle class it will be with the rifle that Jim Lambert put together for me.

Now, off my Colt soapbox so that a mod doesnt' close this thread because I ruined it for the original poster. Lets get back on track, OK? My bad for dragging this in the mud. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Colt still builds the best. I have had a number of the top tier. I just got a 6940 and it instantly became my favorite. They just know how to do all of the steps right. Looking the gun over is like a text book on AR's compared to some of the guns I have seen over the years.

And, in this current boom market for guns, how many companies know how to build guns at a high rate better than Colt?