Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Printer for Pact MKIV

benos

I received this in an email today, and thought it might be worth investigating for some.

Pact is currently working on a replacement for the discontinued HP they use to sell for the MKIV, but from what I hear it may be still several months away.

Their website could be the worst designed site I've ever seen - you can't find anything. So I wouldn't waste too much time on it; if interested I just call the U.S. distributor directly.

Brian:

Was cruising around your site today, and hit the timer pages. Thought I'd

let you know regarding the HP printer that there is an alternative available

to the now discontinued HP model. I checked this out recently as I was

considering getting the printer for my timer.

http://www.martelinstruments.com/index.html

these folks carry a direct replacement for that hp printer.

Here is a clip from an email I received from Martel

Yes, the MCP8850B is a direct replacement for the HP82240B. I've attached a

data sheet for your review. The warranty period is 1 year.

I have a distributor in Maryland that can help you with pricing and

delivery:

Current Components

8600 Meyersville Road

Middletown, MD 21769

(301) 473-5333

I had called regarding price, and seems to me it was around $170, but you

can follow-up on that if you want to pursue it. I've seen new-old stock of

the HP unit still available for about the same price. At least the Martel

wouldn't be an orphan if problems develop.

Have a good one,

Tom

I have one major gripe about using the printer. I practice over lunch and have very limited time to shoot, so I bought the printer thinking I would be able to shoot my whole session, print the whole session out in one swoop, then analyze my technique later. Nope. Every time you hit the green Go button the previous data that was stored in the timer is lost, so the best you can do is print one event (El Prez as an example) at a time. I think this is deserving of a What I Hate rant.... <_<

Another small gripe about the Mark IV, the on/off switch needs to be recessed or something. I went through several nine volt batteries before taping the switch in the off position at the end of every range session. It is entirely too easy for the switch to be inadvertantly knocked to the on position, IMHO.

• 5 months later...

One thing I noticed.

The Martell MCP8850B is supposed to print 6 lines per second The HP 82240B is supposed to do 1 24 character line per second. That seems like quite a difference.

I tried to get a HP 82240B NIB off e-bay last night. It ended up going for $131.50. Does anyone know what these printers went for before they were discontinued?

Current Components wants $161 + shipping for the MCP8850B. They said the price just went up because the Euro is beating the pants off the dollar. :(

Jim

I tried to get a HP 82240B NIB off e-bay last night. It ended up going for $131.50. Does anyone know what these printers went for before they were discontinued?

The HP Printer was about a $120-$140 item depending on where you bought it. $131 used is fairly out of line. I posted in another thread about:HP Museum Online where there is a classifieds section that is generally much more reasonable than the silly prices on Ebay. If it has "HP" on the label, you will almost certainly be in the middle of a bidding war on Ebay - buying there is just a waste of time and money, IMHO.