Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Portable Laptop for School

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but the last thread I could find was before Leopard and Vista came out...

I currently have a 17" HP dv8000. I love my computer. It has dual 100GB hard drives, 1.8 GHz...BUT it is 17" and weighs 8 lbs...and the battery life is terrible.

I'm going to keep my HP and probablly use it at my apartment as my "desktop". I've also been thinking about getting a docking station for it so it won't take up as much room on my desk...

I am a EE major and a lot of the programs we use for classes are only on windows, so I need to have a windows OS. The main reason for getting a new laptop is for portability reasons. I don't use my laptop in class, but bring it with me when I study or work on projects.

I will use the laptop for:

Email

Shooting videos

ITunes

Pictures

Internet

MS Office

I'm looking at Mac Book/Mac Book Pro (with Boot Camp (comes standard)) or a Dell XPS. I've never owned a Mac computer before, so I don't know much about them, but I do know a ton of people that have them. I'm not going for the "cool" factor of having a Mac, I just want a functional laptop that I can use even after I graduate.

Opinions....

ETA: Right now, I'm leaning towards the Mac with Parallels to run Windows (or just use Boot Camp if I can run both OS's at the same time...not sure if it's possible w/ boot camp)

Edited by gunnerBU

I bought a Dell XPS 1210 for nursing school --- with Vista, and the new version of Office. It rocks, weighs relatively little, takes up the right amount of desk space. I did order a spare battery --- in the smaller flush size. The bigger battery --- which sticks out the back a little --- gets me through most days, the smaller battery is either used as its replacement, or on some short lecture days, it's the only battery I bring for a smaller, lighter machine....

I have an Asus EeePC with Ubuntu Linux and I am in love!!! I use this thing for everything! Depending on what you mean by "shooting videos" it may not be the best for that but the 4-5 hour battery life makes up for anything you may have doubts about. The Open Office programs work with pretty much all of the MS Office stuff you would need like Power-point, Word, Access, and Excell.

And they are cheap too. I got the EeePC 1000 for 399 off newegg.

I got tired of lugging my heavy Dell notebook to school, so I just ordered one of these Acer Aspire One netbooks. I just got the SSD model because I don't intend to store anything on it (got a thin USB powered 500GB drive for that.) You can get one with a hard drive for a little more. A little over $230 shipped for the SSD model and cheap was the big factor for me! :lol: This will stay in my backpack so I've always got something with me for web, email, and word processing. It comes with Windows XP (nice, since I refuse to do Vista), but I'm not sure if I'll keep that on it. It arrives tomorrow and I'll just have to see how fast Windows runs on it. I've been running Ubuntu Linux at home these days, with XP inside of VMware when I need it for something (mainly just syncing my Zune and a few things for school that I haven't gotten to work right on Linux.)

Same advice I give regardless of computer - pick the software you need to use the most and pick the computer that will support it.

I do development work on Windows programs and there is no Mac software I need or want. Makes it simple for me.

I have a friend who writes and draws and does photo stuff using Mac sofware and there is no Windows software she needs or wants. Simple for her.

I'd be willing to bet that 80% of people could buy either one and be happy.

I'd also bet that if I wasn't in the line of work I'm in, I'd own a Mac.

I am a EE major and a lot of the programs we use for classes are only on windows, so I need to have a windows OS.

There's your answer! Mac and PC are both fine systems, but if you need Wndows apps for work, then by all means run Windows!

Same advice I give regardless of computer - pick the software you need to use the most and pick the computer that will support it.

Good point, but should I get a machine that runs only the software that I'm need? OR get one that runs the software I need and more?

I'd also bet that if I wasn't in the line of work I'm in, I'd own a Mac.

I think I get what your saying... ;)

I like the idea of being able to run both OS's, and trying something new, but I don't want to sacrifice performance of what I really need (MS Office and other windows programs).

FWIW - I think a windows machine is still your answer too.

I just went the mac route and I'm using VMWare Fusion to allow me to run Windows at the same time as Leopard...I could also run 2 more OS at the same time...which is cool...but not really needed.

I use the dual OS thing everyday as it works well...but it DOES complicate matters. I'm about 60% Mac-software use and 40% PC...

Also is you are a student everything Apple has the "Apple Tax"...it just seems like most accessories are a bit more $$.

I went Mac about a 18 months ago. A MacBook Pro 17 " . I know programs are a little more difficult to get as far Windows apps are concerned, but I would not switch back! I spend alot of time downloading music and movies. This Platform just dose not have the virus problems I had with windows. I was just tired of antivirus updates, installs, and just the money spent on those programs. This machine has power also, I run multiple programs at the same time everyday. So I say if you can swing it and I thought it was alot, get one! BTW these are very well supported by the aftermarket these days.

I've given strong consideration to a few of the ultraportable laptop options out there...several of the Dell versions provide an excellent keyboard that gave me zero difficulty when writing long assed papers. That, and the battery life is outstanding.

I am a EE major and a lot of the programs we use for classes are only on windows, so I need to have a windows OS.

Check to see if any of the software has strict software licensing (like, requires an app called FlexLM to run). The big electronics CAD software (from Mentor, Cadence, Synopsys, etc) falls into this category. If so, they may not play well with virtual Windows on a Mac. I never tried it, but those guys are REAL sensitive about unlicensed users running their software (do not think $500 to buy MS Office forever, think $5000 or more :surprise: to license for one year). Also, check what version of Windows is required. For example, the Mentor PCB tools we used would not even install with Vista; they required XP. Mentor must have fixed it by now, but be careful.

Hope I have not scared you any.

Lee

Well, I got to play around with my cousin's Mac Book over the Easter Break last weekend. I liked it a lot, but it took me a while to figure out how to do everything.

Just to clarify my original post, most of the programs we use for class work can only be used in the engineering building's computer lab. If I wanted to be able to use these programs on my personal computer, I would have to purchase them myself because of licensing issues as lmccrock said above. I have downloaded some of the "free student versions" of the programs we use (PSpice and a few compilers), and only use them when I don't have time to go to the computer lab. So...I am not required to run a windows OS on my personal computer.

I've heard that once I get into the "real world" after I graduate, everything is done on windows....

Like I said in my original post, I am going to keep my HP. I just want a smaller computer that I can carry in my backpack along with spirals and books.

Another of my cousins that I saw this weekend is a CS major at Texas aTm. He had a 9" Acer with him that he is running Linux on. I liked that too, but the keyboard was maybe a little too small for me. He also said that the next laptop he tries might be a Mac.

I'm starting to lean towards the Mac route....

Opinions...

Edited by gunnerBU

Gunner

I got a Dell XPS M1330 for pharmacy school and it has been very very good to me. I would buy one again today, I think I made the right choice. For starters, I'm one of the few [out of 56] people in my class who carries their computer in their backpack every single time they go to campus - the low weight is a huge plus. 2 of my classmates who also carry everywhere also have the XPS 1330. I use the standard battery which is fine for any trip less than 4 hours. More than that, I'll grab the AC cord & take it too [rare].

I had one on order from the Dell Outlet, a red one with more Ram & faster wireless modem than what I have now. They delayed shipment & told me there was a problem, so rather than miss my 1st assignment [a webcam video "business card"] I just canceled and bought the black one I'm using right now, $100 off at Staples, along with complete MS Office for $50. That was easy.

The way most backpacks are made it works best to stay at 14" or smaller. I had narrowed my search down to Dell or Sony, then found that the key-distance on the 14" Sony was non-standard, as in narrow. Their more expensive 13" Vaio has a normal-size keyboard. The 1st few times I tried the Sony keys [flat, low, square] I loved them, but eventually I got over it. No real advantage/disadvantage.

Looked at getting an E1405, the 14" Inspiron. It really is the same weight within a few ounces to my wife's E1505 and cost within 180 bucks of the XPS. I worried that having only 2 USB ports on the XPS would be a problem but honestly no - I rarely plug in more than 1. Have to admit I watch a lot of lectures on Suzanne's 15" because it's easier on the eyes and it's downstairs. Once she comes home I pretty much trudge upstairs to the Man Cave and my XPS till all that day's work is done.

Some classmates have endured using a Mac even though UF strongly discourages it & mostly they've done okay. They had a steep learning curve & set up their own support group. The main risk is TIME - the enemy of all pharm students anyway. With a Mac running Windows programs, you risk not finding out about your problem, or even starting to get help on the solution, until an assignment is due or an exam happens the next day. I have enough to worry about so I would not use a Mac for school even if one was given to me free.

FWIW, would recommend you get CCleaner [free at download.com] and use it to clean cache every night before shutting down & any time you are uninstalling software. It finds & fixes Registry trash better than anything I know of. Shutting down at least once a day is also a good idea, all Windows OS's tend to screw up if you keep letting power management cycle off and on.

I use Firefox 3.0.5 and just refuse all its attempts to update. Newer versions are a pain to run pages embedded with WMP videos, as in, all my lectures. Also there is some new problem with YouTube and Firefox [all versions] so now I use Safari to watch anything on YouTube. Also have IE6 but rarely use it for anything. It's security pop-ups and blocks are just too much hassle.

Somewhere there's a thread I started last summer [July or August] and it contains a lot of good advice from people on here. HTH.

Edited by eric nielsen

• 2 weeks later...