Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

info for a lefty revo shooter

zipper046

Hi Folks,

pulled out my S&W Model 66 from the safe and have been playing with it at the range. I used to carry this as a back-up when hunting, so I've never shot it in a "gun-game". Some of the shooters at my club are great revolver shooters and i'd like to run the Model 66 in some of the gun games.

issue for me...I'm a lefty! Does anyone have a link to a good site or instructional book that can outline for me how to quickly reload as a lefty?

any/all help appreciated.

z-

Hi Folks,

pulled out my S&W Model 66 from the safe and have been playing with it at the range. I used to carry this as a back-up when hunting, so I've never shot it in a "gun-game". Some of the shooters at my club are great revolver shooters and i'd like to run the Model 66 in some of the gun games.

issue for me...I'm a lefty! Does anyone have a link to a good site or instructional book that can outline for me how to quickly reload as a lefty?

any/all help appreciated.

z-

Three methods.

1. Left thumb releases cylinder, right thumb pushes through window, gun points up, index finger operates ejector. Flip gun over, insert moonclip, grip, close, and go.

2. Transfer to right hand, do a righty reload.

3. My method: Same as 1., but I push out the cylinder with the ball of my hand, thumb goes over strap, index works ejector. You need medium to large hands for this one, and you MUST chamber check that everything is loose, you don't have great leverage on the ejector. But if you're a cautious reloader, I believe this is a very fast method.

H.

zipper046, I have been compiling style and techniques on Speedloading Revos. I am covering the Left hand reload as Houngan describes. I take it you are using speedloaders? I have seen Mike Luttrell do the left handed reload as dipicted. He is very fast and consistant. IIRC there is a vid in one of Waltermitty's post that will show the reload abiet with moonclips. Search "Videos" in the Revo Section and you should find it and I think the topic starter was Merlin Orr. Good luck later rdd

I use Houngan's Method 1. Of course that means you'll probably want to tape your right thumb up with some wide athletic tape since you end up against the forcing cone and it tends to get a little warm...

Jerry

One of the pre-eminent lefty wheelgunners, Tom Mainus, wears a glove on his right hand for the same reason.

Here's a recent photo of Tom, you can see his glove pretty well in the picture:

LOL

well I'm just started shooting revolver but I use left thumb to hit cylinder release, right thumb to open cylinder and right index to eject, toss ammo in with left hand and close cylinder with right 2 or 3 fingers, that way I can already grip the gun with left while right is closing cylinder.

One of the pre-eminent lefty wheelgunners, Tom Mainus, wears a glove on his right hand for the same reason.

oh lordy...that outfit & glove might get me shot at the club!! :-)

I am not a highly reknowned Lefty Revo shooter but a lefty nonetheless. I use a variant of method 1 described by Houngan because my hand is not big enough to do #3 method reliably, consistently, nor without losing control of a N-frame sized revo.

With a K frame like yours, people with less than huge hands may be able to execute the #3 method. You need to try both and see what works best for you under the clock. Make some dummies and see dryfiring.

Come on Mike, you had all winter to come up with some new material and the best you could do was a different picture! I am dissapointed to say the least ;)

Although for some strange reason I did giggle a little bit when I saw it.

Now back to the original question. I do just as Houngan says in #1. And yes I do actually wear a glove on my right hand to keep from burning the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger on the forcing cone, so Mike was correct about that, kind of. I use the Hougue release on all of my guns, it makes reaching the release with left thumb while still gripping the gun easier, this will depend on hand size. Let gravity help the moons out of the gun, tip the gun up and they will fall to the ground with just a little help from the ejector rod.

I tend to keep the gun around my waist when doing a reload, most of the time if you are reloading, you are moving to another spot to shoot or you should be. It is easier to move or run with the gun by my waist than it is holding it up at the same spot as when you are shooting. It is less movement if you are doing a standing reload, which can't be avoided sometimes, but I feel that happens less than reloading on the move does.

Tom

Come on Mike, you had all winter to come up with some new material and the best you could do was a different picture! I am dissapointed to say the least ;)

Yeah, I know. I just never seem to get tired of that gag. It makes me laugh every single time. I'm really childish that way.