Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC brass/Glock 34

Ignatz

Hi, I load on a Dillon 550 with Dillon dies and when I chamber check my loaded rounds, the CBC brand does not always fall below the barrel hood. Its a mixed bag of once fired brass I got and the Federal, RP, Speer and other brands seem to load OK. Could it be because of the previous gun it was fired in? And must the reloaded cartridge be able to fall below the barrel hood or is even or a little over OK? There are NO-GO ones that are obvious not to shoot, but some seem that they would work with the cycling of the gun. thanks

Hi, I load on a Dillon 550 with Dillon dies and when I chamber check my loaded rounds, the CBC brand does not always fall below the barrel hood. Its a mixed bag of once fired brass I got and the Federal, RP, Speer and other brands seem to load OK. Could it be because of the previous gun it was fired in? And must the reloaded cartridge be able to fall below the barrel hood or is even or a little over OK? There are NO-GO ones that are obvious not to shoot, but some seem that they would work with the cycling of the gun. thanks

I would toss the brass or get a sizing die that works lower.

You're dropping the loaded round into the chamber, right? What should stop the movement into the bbl is the case mouth "headspacing" on the foward edge of the chamber, and that should mean the case is entering all the way and is supported along its entire length. The cartridge rim should be forward of the end of the barrel hood. If the case doesn't drop all the way in, the rear portion of the case just forward of the extractor groove is not fully supported, and may blow out if the partially chambered round fires.

The round should drop freely into the chamber and "clink" as the case mouth strikes the chamber edge, and the round should turn freely once chambered. If it doesn't do either, you have a problem.

I personally had trouble reloading CBC 9mm brass, and no longer use it.

Are you chamber checking in the barrell or in a chamber gauge? Glocks tend to run loose in the chamber, and will typically feed just about anything. That being said, I remove all CBC 9mm from my brass as it consistently will not chamber gauge in a dillon gauge. CBC is probably about 99% of what I have had problems with in the gauge.

Can not say that I had any prolems running the CBC through the gun before I started seperating it.

Randy

Box up the brass and send it to me. My Glock eats everything. :D

Seriously though. Look at your die setup once more and make sure you have the sizing die as low as you can. If that doesn't fix it (hopefully you're using a Dillon gauge), then I'd buy an EGW die. The Lee's apparently work, and they're cheaper, but I'd get an EGW as George supports the sport.

Rich

Hmmm...

Guess I'm odd man out. I run 9MM, .40 and .45 CBC (Magtech) brass through my guns with no issues and yes, I case gauge every round. Honestly I can't tell any difference in it from domestic brands, loading it or shooting it. I do size on a U-Die nowadays but even before, had no issues with it.

Thanks, I've had good luck with CBC brass in 45 and 38spl, so its good to hear I'm not the only one to have problems with the 9mm stuff. thanks...and I have no other 9mm pistol to compare how tight the chamber is on my Glock 34. thanks again

I've had very good luck with CBC also. 3-4 cycles through my open gun and they look just as good as the Win, Rem, and Speer brass thats run in the same batch. Same with .40's although they get used until they're lost.

Don't know if it makes a difference but I'm using Dillon sizing die and the Lee FCD.

Edited by al503