Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who still has .223 bullets?

High Lord Gomer

Montana Gold does not appear to be accepting orders for .223 bullets at this time.

My friend would prefer 55gr boat-tail.

See if you can sweet talk Master "D" out of some. He recieved two cases about a month ago. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't fret too much kids! Remember in the day, We made our own out of .22 brass. RCBS stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage!! Those compound presses will generate more than enough pressure to make lead flow like tooth paste. This knowledge is not lost. Us Americans are smart enough to make any damn thing we want if we have to!! Many of the businesses we rely on were started by now OLD GUYS that were pretty darned independent. Nice opportunity to get together with yer Buds and BS, drink a little beer and make a bunch of components if you can't get them any other way!!

• 1 month later...
Montana Gold does not appear to be accepting orders for .223 bullets at this time.

My friend would prefer 55gr boat-tail.

Are Montana Gold's "55gr FMJ .224" boat tail? From their picture, I can see the cannelure, but can't tell if it's BT or flat base.

Yes, they are boat-tail. It looks like MG is again selling them, though they are limitting customers to 7,000 per order. I have been very pleased with the consistency of those bullets.

To get my crimp in the cannelure I did have to trim the cases a little shorter, 1.745, to get my OAL below 2.250.

I only wish RCBS still offered to sell equipment for bullet making. Only option I am aware of these days in Corbin - which I am sure is nice quality - but they want over $700 for the .22 bullet making set up.

If someone would offer a set of dies - even in the $300 or less range - I might take a crack at bullet swaging from spent .22LR cases.

Don't fret too much kids! Remember in the day, We made our own out of .22 brass. RCBS stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage!! Those compound presses will generate more than enough pressure to make lead flow like tooth paste. This knowledge is not lost. Us Americans are smart enough to make any damn thing we want if we have to!! Many of the businesses we rely on were started by now OLD GUYS that were pretty darned independent. Nice opportunity to get together with yer Buds and BS, drink a little beer and make a bunch of components if you can't get them any other way!!
Edited by Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

Pat's reloading. I know he just got a shipment of 55 grain hornady fmj w/c. Price was $84 per 1k. I know he is really far behind, but he's a good guy to deal with and prices are good. 1-330-833-4360 or patsreloading.com

i just rec'd two cases (7,000 projectiles) 55 gr fmj from montana gold. as i guess you would expect, they work great (or at least as great as I can determine shooting an eotech from the bench to chrono groups @ 100 yds). had to adjust my OAL as the montana gold crimp is slightly lower on the projectile vs. hornady 55gr fmj's but no complaints, perfect function on top of 24 gr. aa2230 and a winchester small rifle primer.

• 2 weeks later...