Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost my FO rod again

Sarge

Your gun is telling you to switch to a black front sight :ph34r:

+1 on the black front sight.

I was losing FO on my STI constantly. It didn't matter if I used super glue or not. A little body filler and flat black model paint and it was good to go. A postive, I don't mistake the FO for my C-more any longer.

• 8 months later...
A while back the original FO rod came loose in my M&P PRO. I got new rod from SSS and replaced it. Actually quite easy to do by the way. Today I am practicing at the local club and poof, no more FO rod. Surely it should have lasted more than one match and some light practice sessions.

I am assuming (and yes I know what that means) I got too worried about the size of the bead on the end of the rod and made it too small. But I am not certain this caused it to come off. I know I am not banging the sights or anything along those lines and my DOH has a huge channel for the sight so that should not be a factor.

How often should I plan on replacing the rod ? I DO NOT want to lose it in the middle of a match. Are there any more "advanced" tips for installing the rod that are not already posted?

Help?

Thanks all

Kevin

I currently use Caspian as it seems brightest to me.

Where can I get this? There is nothing on the Caspian website about it. What other brands are recommended?

I just ordered some new sights from SC and forgot all about getting some spare rod to fit.(.040)

I've had good luck with this Fiber Rod buy different colors for different backgrounds.

What have been your shipping costs from them? The drop down menu says $7.00 :surprise: But the shipping page says it can be shipped for $1.50 but it doesn't clarify that is what it will ship for. It looks like they want me to order it and let them figure out the shipping later? I emailed them as well but was curious as to your experience.

How long does it usually take to get the fiber rods from Fiber Optic Products after you order them? I ordered some about 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten anything yet. My credit card bill hasn't come yet so I can't check to see if I was charged.

Edited by Bill Nesbitt

A while back the original FO rod came loose in my M&P PRO. I got new rod from SSS and replaced it. Actually quite easy to do by the way. Today I am practicing at the local club and poof, no more FO rod. Surely it should have lasted more than one match and some light practice sessions.

I am assuming (and yes I know what that means) I got too worried about the size of the bead on the end of the rod and made it too small. But I am not certain this caused it to come off. I know I am not banging the sights or anything along those lines and my DOH has a huge channel for the sight so that should not be a factor.

How often should I plan on replacing the rod ? I DO NOT want to lose it in the middle of a match. Are there any more "advanced" tips for installing the rod that are not already posted?

Help?

Thanks all

Kevin

I currently use Caspian as it seems brightest to me.

Where can I get this? There is nothing on the Caspian website about it. What other brands are recommended?

I just ordered some new sights from SC and forgot all about getting some spare rod to fit.(.040)

I've had good luck with the FO rods from Dawson Precision. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...0001-1095719217

I always have some in my shooting bag with a small lighter.

Doug

Sand, I did a search for FO, because I was irritated that people were charging 10 bucks for 6 inches ofthe stuff....found some on a theatrical lighting place(the name escapes me) got their 'sample pack' of, getthis, 6 different colors, 3 FEET EACH COLOR for somthing like 21 bucks plus a lil bit for shipping....

look around...its out there, and now i dont care when a fellow shooter needs a new one, I hack off a couple of inches of some in my bag and hand it to em....

Sand, I did a search for FO, because I was irritated that people were charging 10 bucks for 6 inches ofthe stuff....found some on a theatrical lighting place(the name escapes me) got their 'sample pack' of, getthis, 6 different colors, 3 FEET EACH COLOR for somthing like 21 bucks plus a lil bit for shipping....

look around...its out there, and now i dont care when a fellow shooter needs a new one, I hack off a couple of inches of some in my bag and hand it to em....

Thanks Cali. I had found it as well in the past but was more interested in seeing if all FO is created equal. Seems like most of the big FO places are in California.