Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide

milanuk

Okay, before y'all gather the tinder to burn me at the stake, hear me out ;)

Relatively 'green' with pistols and handloads. Got some MG 115gr FMJs, some Ramshot ZIP, and started loading. Started out a little below the load listed on the bottle, figured I can always work up later and I kinda wanted a 'soft' load to begin with. Went bang okay in my G34, but accuracy sucked (even for me) and once in a while I got some that ejected, but the slide didn't go open far enough to fully strip the next round from the mag. Went back, loaded up a few that had a bit more powder (think I went from 3.9-4.0gr to 4.2-4.3gr) and took them to the range with both my G34 and my CZ75 SP01. Jam/stovepipe city. Think I got maybe two rounds in a row, maybe twice, without having to clear a jam.

I had cleaned the guns in between the two sessions, and changed from my 'normal' lube of CLP to a light coat of medium weight Slide Glide. Guns felt smoother when rackin the slide by hand, sounded a bit smoother, everything golden. Until I tried to actually shoot 'em - then they didn't work worth a dang, even with a warmer load?!? It's been cool here - in the mid 40's during the day, getting up into the 50's. Is it possible that the Slide Glide was (part of) the problem here? The other reviews I've seen of it sounded like it was the best thing since percussion caps and brass cases. Now I'm not so sure...

TIA,

Monte

In my site and store, for the 40 degree temperature range, I recommend the Lite. Standard (medium) may be too thick for 40 degrees, especially if you put a lot on.

I'd recommend wiping it all off, and applying just a very THIN coat of Lite to the contact areas. In a Glock that should work fine in 40 degrees.

Give me a call if you have any more questions.

Brian

877 219-5598

Also, make sure you do not get any on the feed ramp where it will gt drug into the chamber. like an idiot, I got some on the ramp of my sig, and didnt notice it. caused me all sorts of jam and fail to extract grief until I cleaned the gun and got rid of it. I re did the slide glide, but with more care, and the issue went away. A little goes a long way with it. :cheers:

Try a box of Blazer Brass 9mm or WWB value pak from Wally World. Pretty sure the gun will run fine. Big blobs of lube or not. Chamber gauge your loads and check for proper OAL.

Jim

OK, Welcome to reloading and pistols. :D

Listen up,

Sounds like you are on the very low end of what will actually operate your pistols. You went from a load that would not reliably push your slide back far enough to load the next round; and then increased it .3 grains, switched lubrication and then think that the new lubrication is causing your problems?

I highly recommend getting your self a chronograph and finding out the velocity of your hand loads, I suspect that you are below the energy required to operate your slide effectively. If you can't get a chronograph then run your pistol with some factory ammo and see if your problem goes away. If it does then you know you need a chronograph to work up your loads correctly.

PS. I have been in the measurement science (Metrology) for almost 20 years. When you are testing something, Never change more than one thing for each test. If you change more than one thing you don't know what caused the result of your measurement.

PPS. Get a Chronograph so you are actually measuring something, instead of going by feel. The internet is full of Kaboom stories that resulted by reloaders going by feel.

PPPS. Didn't mean to come off to strong, you are at least playing it safe on the low end of the spectrum, but one of those rounds that didn't cycle the next round could have stayed in the barrel and been a costly mistake.

Edited by North