Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A little hitch before going into battery

al503

post-5006-1237518798_thumb.jpgAs you can see in the pics, the slide stops just short of going into battery (the gun is unloaded.) This only happens when hand cycling and there is no issue when I'm actually shooting the gun. It's done this from the start and I thought it would loosen up as I put some rounds through the pipe. After a couple hundred, it hasn't loosened up one bit.

I've taken the gun apart but couldn't really find anything. Any thoughts? Just want to make sure that I'm not hurting the gun or anything.

Al, it's clearly not fixable...I'll take if off your hands for the standard $250 that Merlin would offer :P

Seriously, a couple hundred might just not be enough. I'd take a look at the link and lugs...and the bushing (if it has one) but if I didn't find anything scary looking I'd just keep shooting it.

Al, it's clearly not fixable...I'll take if off your hands for the standard $250 that Merlin would offer :P

Seriously, a couple hundred might just not be enough. I'd take a look at the link and lugs...and the bushing (if it has one) but if I didn't find anything scary looking I'd just keep shooting it.

$250? $250? I woulda done it for $300 but I'm insulted now. Not for sale any longer.

No marks or shiny spots on the bbl link, lugs, or the inside top of the slide. The only thing I noticed was a little shiny area where the bottom of the bbl (around the chamber) seems to be making itself more room on the frame.

Is this barrel tighter than what you've run in the past? Is your OAL too long for this barrel? When I have had this problem, ( only twice) it turned out to be a new barrel, or a new load and the OAL was in need of adjustment because of a different bullet brand or type.

Just my .02

Is this barrel tighter than what you've run in the past? Is your OAL too long for this barrel? When I have had this problem, ( only twice) it turned out to be a new barrel, or a new load and the OAL was in need of adjustment because of a different bullet brand or type.

Just my .02

It happens with or without a bullet in the chamber.

Did you ever find out what aspect of the new bbl was causing your issue?

Does the slide drag with out the barrel or recoil assembly installed? Does the slide more freely back and forth in its travel without the slide stop in place? How light are you hand cycling it? What pound recoil spring are you using?

Just my .02

It happens with or without a bullet in the chamber.

Did you ever find out what aspect of the new bbl was causing your issue?

Yeah, it is a Barsto and they are tight! I have to run a little lighter on powder and shorten my OAL if I run certain brands of bullets.

I am happy with the barrel and have no problems with it if I do my part loading correctly.

Jimmy

al503,

Does the barrel lock up tight when the slide is that far out of battery? Could this be a linkage issue? I'd almost want to see what the barrel and slide are doing in conjunction to eachother just as the slide is coming to it's intended stopping point. Could it just be that tight? If you let it strip a round out of a mag after just letting the slide go will it go into battery fully?

Does the slide drag with out the barrel or recoil assembly installed? Does the slide more freely back and forth in its travel without the slide stop in place? How light are you hand cycling it? What pound recoil spring are you using?

Slide moves back and forth freely with the slide stop removed and the recoil assembly installed.

I'm not letting go after pulling it all the way back. It does take a little tap to get it to go in completely.

12 lb spring. This is a .40.

al503,

Does the barrel lock up tight when the slide is that far out of battery? Could this be a linkage issue? I'd almost want to see what the barrel and slide are doing in conjunction to eachother just as the slide is coming to it's intended stopping point. Could it just be that tight? If you let it strip a round out of a mag after just letting the slide go will it go into battery fully?

The bbl and the bushing fit nicely together. No drag whatsoever throughout its entire travel. Smooth.

No issues if I slingshot it in stripping a bullet out of a mag. Always goes into battery when shooting and it's been 100% so far. I just don't know enough about these things and I want to make sure that I'm not doing any damage.

I appreciate everyone's input.

While using dummy rounds, rack the slide back and slowly let it go just to where it is going to pick up first round. At that point, just let the slide go. Does it close fully into battery? If so, I'd say don't worry about it and keep shooting, it's not even broke in yet.

While using dummy rounds, rack the slide back and slowly let it go just to where it is going to pick up first round. At that point, just let the slide go. Does it close fully into battery? If so, I'd say don't worry about it and keep shooting, it's not even broke in yet.

Just tried it. Goes into battery without issue.

I guess I just keep shooting it.

Thanks again, y'all.

Just tried it. Goes into battery without issue.

I guess I just keep shooting it.

Thanks again, y'all.

Just send my your gun with 1000 rounds, I'll figure out what's wrong with it and fix it for free, really no charge. :devil:

A 12# spring might do that. My 11# springed Glock doesn't always go fully into battery when hand cycled- but it will under recoil or with a slingshot release. No biggie, let it play its' VooDoo as long as it works when you need it to.

A couple of us here locally had this very issue when we replaced barrels. It turn out to be the barrel hood to breach face fit. We polished the breach face and the barrel hood where it meets the breach face. This solved the problem for us.

Your mileage may vary. :cheers:

Chris

I'd fix it, it shouldn't happen. It is probably the lower lugs being too tight or could be something in the hood but odds are high it is in the lug engagement. I don't believe in a gun needing to be broken in, they should run from the first mag and not have anything like this if they are finished on the smith's bench. A gun can be wicked tight, super accurate and not need broken in or exhibit quirks like this.

I'd fix it, it shouldn't happen. It is probably the lower lugs being too tight or could be something in the hood but odds are high it is in the lug engagement. I don't believe in a gun needing to be broken in, they should run from the first mag and not have anything like this if they are finished on the smith's bench. A gun can be wicked tight, super accurate and not need broken in or exhibit quirks like this.

I agree, Howard. Although I'm the second owner (got it brand new from the original owner) this was a ground up custom.

I have another ground up custom SS coming in (hopefully a week or so) from a different smith. I wanted to compare their work first-hand as both have great reputations and give my future business accordingly.

You might check to see if the slide is dragging on the disconnector, or the ejector/pin.

With the slide stop out, there is absolutely no resistance at all in the slide travel in either direction. I'm thinking that it might be related to the slide stop and the bbl link.

I looked down into the frame where the link could make contact and didn't see anything.

I'll check the bbl hood against the breachface tonight after work and see if I can see anything going on there.

Regardless, I'll just shoot the thing and see if it works out by itself.

With the slide off and the recoil system removed but the barrel and bushing remaining, turn the slide upside down. Grab the lower lug/ramp with your fingers and move the barrel up and down. You are moving the barrel lugs in and out of the slide lugs. Check for drag. If you have any drag then it is probably (but not absolutely) the hood to breachface fit.

Regardless, I can't imagine it would hurt to go ahead and polish the breachface and barrel hood anyway. :cheers:

Chris

Hello: I have had the same problem and it was the lower lugs and link fitment. Benny Hill showed me how to check the lockup and what happens when it is not correct. There are alot of different things that can cause problems but when you know what to look for it is easy to solve. I call it "Paying for Knowledge" :cheers: You might want a good Gunsmith to look at it for you. I agree with Howard in that it should work correctly from the start. Hope thsi helps. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer