Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second Chance, again?

sigfla

Will there ever be another Second Chance? Is there any other competition out there that compares?

I for one not having shot SC would love to mow down some pins at a similar event. Maybe it would put the "fun" back into high level competition shooting. Not that events aren't fun but after having read benos's thoughts on big matches it seems like a re-make of SC would be just what the doc ordered.

Will there ever be another Second Chance? Is there any other competition out there that compares?

I for one not having shot SC would love to mow down some pins at a similar event. Maybe it would put the "fun" back into high level competition shooting. Not that events aren't fun but after having read benos's thoughts on big matches it seems like a re-make of SC would be just what the doc ordered.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're ever going to see an event like Second Chance. Don't think the lawyers would approved of all the fun. I got into shooting just after they stopped having the Pin Shoot. I've heard of some great stories of things getting blown up and some wacky prizes, like an old used Mercedes. If they bring it back, I'm definitely going!

Seiichi

Plenty of lawyers attended that match, Itchy! I can think of lawyers and judges and doctors and people of every other profession and occupation that I met up there during the years I attended Second Chance.

Talk about memories..... :)

Plenty of lawyers attended that match, Itchy! I can think of lawyers and judges and doctors and people of every other profession and occupation that I met up there during the years I attended Second Chance.

Talk about memories..... :)

If only we had a Country full of lawyers of the type that attended Second Chance! :cheers:

Believe me, I ask Rich and Matt every year at the SHOT show. "Please bring it back, please!" I guess it'd be called the "Armor Express Pin Shoot".

So Mike, what was your favorite event?

I always wanted to try the subgun ping pong ball shooting event.

Seiichi

Edited by itchy

[quote name='Carmoney' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:22 PM'

Of course, some of the most popular events at Second Chance had nothing to do with guns...... ;)

SO TRUE, SO TRUE!!!!!!

Fun Times

A shoot like no other, an eight day party where you could shoot one main event or "shoot till you puke" ,or anything in between. I liked the back range, BCBC and LRPF. Mixed doubles and rolling thunder were COOL to. Course there were 8 pin, 9 pin, PE and Ballbuster. Man I MISS that Shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

I read about it and bought a Llama 45 because they said it was the caliber

to have to shoot bowling pins. I went there with a high school shop teacher

that was also a part time Deputy sheriff and captain of the dive team.

The years run together but it was in the 1975/1976 time-frame.

I lived in the Cleveland OH. area at the time. The year I was there the

winner was a young kid that shot all 5 pins down in 3.6 seconds using a

standard Colt 45 and ball ammo.

It was like Woodstock for gun people. Neither I or the Captain knew

that he would routinely shoot himself with the vest on. We were both

so blown away we couldn't shut up about it .. He went on and on about

it until the Department finally bought a couple of the vests.

To this day I still can't believe he took all of the hydrostatic shock

to his body ...

To this day I still can't believe he took all of the hydrostatic shock

to his body ...

Minor quibble, but that is blunt force trauma. In order to have HSS, the bullet has to pierce the skin and disrupt the surrounding tissue. As I understand it, after the first time, Rich used a phone book or other padding under the vest to spread out the force and minimize bruising. The vest stops the bullet, but the energy has to go somewhere.

The year I was there the

winner was a young kid that shot all 5 pins down in 3.6 seconds using a standard Colt 45 and ball ammo.

Johnny Robbins.

One shot wonder, I think. Not sure anybody's heard from him since. He'd be just another middle-aged guy with bifocals by now! :D