Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Fort Benning 3 Gun Challenge

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I drove over to Ft Benning today and went out to the acton range where the MGM Targets/AMU Junior Camp was taking place. What I saw generally was 48 young people receiving instruction from the AMU staff and others having the times of their lives thanks to Mike and Rhonda Gibson, the AMU staff and seveal other generous sponsors. I also have this intel to report on the match:

1. Bridges: The feared swinging bridge of old is still intact and sitting on the bank above the long bay. I can not tell if it will be used and I did not ask but it would appear it was not burned as promised.

2. Other Props: They had not started set up because of the camp.

3. Gates: I know several of you have used the east gate to exit the range in the past as have I. There is a ton of construction taking place and if you exit through the east gate you can not turn left to go back to town and to turn around, you are facing going about 2 miles south. The gate is open and if you have a pass you can enter there but it looks like you are going to need to exit though the main gate at the end of the day.

4. Food: Today at the range there was a Cariibbean place serving lunch today at the junior camp and the food was great. The name is Spices and they have a location at 4022 University Avenue in Columbus. I beleve this is fairly close the the match hotels and between the hotels and Benning. If the jerk chicken wrap we were served at the range today is any indication of their other offerings, you are going to like their food. And yes they have a bar.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not ask but it would appear it was not burned as promised.

Charles, clearly this was a simple oversight on their behalf, why didnt you just help Aaron, Dan and Robbie out, and get the gasoline can out of your trunk and save them a chore for later ???

Anyone know if the the Corpus Christie crew are all making it this year ??? I gotta little score to settle with one of those jokers... :angry2:

Edited by mike.45

Speeking of food, I went to Chef Lee's Peking 2 tonight and man what a meal. More food than I could eat. It's a very nice place and about 1.5 miles from the hotel and they have what ever you want to drink. (FULL BAR) Complete with BIG FISH swimming under the floor(try that one after a few drinks). I work on their Heating and Air so I see the kitchen and know the owner and cooks. Very clean and great food and service. How about Thursday night 7:30 prematch party.

Ronnie

There is NO chrono at the Ft. Benning match!!!

I paged through all 30 pages quickly so I may have overlooked it - but how does FB3G work chrono? Is it a stage that all shooters rotate through or do they even chrono at all? Never been and just curious.

Speeking of food, I went to Chef Lee's Peking 2 tonight and man what a meal. More food than I could eat. It's a very nice place and about 1.5 miles from the hotel and they have what ever you want to drink. (FULL BAR) Complete with BIG FISH swimming under the floor(try that one after a few drinks). I work on their Heating and Air so I see the kitchen and know the owner and cooks. Very clean and great food and service. How about Thursday night 7:30 prematch party.

Ronnie

And the address is??

I bet they also might have a room that we could get a group together?

Ronnie

And the address is??

I bet they also might have a room that we could get a group together?

I don't know the address, but if memory serves me correctly it is seven lights from the hotel back across the highway, a right turn and over a RR track (elevated road, I'm not really sure whats under it if anthing. It was dark.) then its in the right.

The Mu Shu pork is quite good.

Does anybody have the GPS co-ords for the Chinese as that MuShu Pork sounds real good..... ?

Kelly, stop being nasty to people, poor old Tony is trying to forget that unfortunate incident with a parachute !

I may have to show him some videos on my cell phone to cheer him up...

Edited by mike.45

<_< Mike P (elevated road, I'm not really sure what is under it if anything,it was dark)

:mellow: Elevated roads normally have fill dirt and crushed rock under them , dark or not you still cant see it

:wacko:

HaHAha, this one must have had a big a$$ hole in the dirt. Anyway it was good food and good service. It was a fairly big place too.

Does anybody have the GPS co-ords for the Chinese as that MuShu Pork sounds real good..... ?

Kelly, stop being nasty to people, poor old Tony is trying to forget that unfortunate incident with a parachute !

I may have to show him some videos on my cell phone to cheer him up...

I do remember some video at RM3G that was very good in detail & you might be right. :rolleyes:

Scheduling questions:

Check in at the match hotel Thursday afternoon between ? and ?

Check in at the Ft. Benning Gate Thursday afternoon/evening until ?

All shooters on the range by 0800 (?) Friday for greeting and opening ceremonies?

Shooting schedule will be provided when? I understand we will not be shooting all day every day but will have some amount of downtime between stages?

Shooting what 3 stages per day? AM/PM or alternate shoot rest shoot rest pattern?

Or am I asking all this to early and it will all become clear at the proper times? (worse did I just miss reading all this somewhere?)

Jim

Sure hope we get to shoot 4 stages Friday, 4 Saturday and only 1 Sunday so we can begin the drive home at a decent hour :)

Any shooting schedule is great though - I just wanted to throw my $.02 in.

Edited by trickpony

I did not ask but it would appear it was not burned as promised.

Charles, clearly this was a simple oversight on their behalf, why didnt you just help Aaron, Dan and Robbie out, and get the gasoline can out of your trunk and save them a chore for later ???

Anyone know if the the Corpus Christie crew are all making it this year ??? I gotta little score to settle with one of those jokers... :angry2:

???? It must be Benny as he is making noise about not going. Says his butt back hurts. :rolleyes:

But, if you got a score to settle... I'll be your huckleberry.... :devil::closedeyes:

Scheduling questions:

Check in at the match hotel Thursday afternoon between ? and ?

From the Confirmation message sent to all registered shooters:

Registration Times:

Friday – Saturday – Sunday Shooters

At the Range

* Thursday 12:30 pm to 5:00 pm

At the Host Hotel (The Holiday Inn Express - Columbus Northlake)

* Thursday 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm

At the Range

* Friday 6:30 am to 7:30 am

So, no, you will not register at the hotel Thursday afternoon, because we will be at the range. Staff will be shooting then & many weekend competitors will be on the range to try and preview stages. Also, the Zero Range for weekend shooters is usually only open from noon until 5 PM on the staff shoot day. That is why we are at the range in the afternoon.

We are at the hotel from 7pm until 9pm because some shooters have travel plans that will not get them to Columbus GA until later in the day. Registration was set up to be convenient for the shooters.

Check in at the Ft. Benning Gate Thursday afternoon/evening until ?

The gate is open 24 hours. Check in whenever it is convenient for you. All civilian vehicles entering Ft. Benning must have a "Visitor Pass". To obtain your visitor pass you must stop at the visitor center located on the left-hand side of Interstate 185 about 100 feet before the Main Gate checkpoint. (Interstate 185 South ends at the front gate of Fort Benning). You MUST have a current driver's license, proof of insurance and a copy of the vehicle registration. If you are driving a rental vehicle the rental documents will serve as vehicle registration and insurance if obtained. At the Main Gate Checkpoint 100 percent ID check is required. The Visitor's Pass can be good for all days of the match so that you do not have to go through the process again on the second day. It can take 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how busy it is. If you are coming Thursday afternoon to preview stages or use the Zero Range, you will need to get the visitors pass at that time. For shooters who arrive in the evening (7 to 9 pm) I would recommend running out to the gate to get the pass and not wait until early the next morning.

All shooters on the range by 0800 (?) Friday for greeting and opening ceremonies?

YES! but all shooters need to be on the range by 7:30 am. Shooting starts at 8am. The shooters who missed the meeting last year did not get "Challenge Coins."

Again, from the Confirmation message sent to all registered shooters:

* Friday morning. Shooting starts at 8:00 am (not all squads will start at 8 am).

* You must attend the shooters meeting that will be held 30 minutes prior to the designated start time.

Shooting schedule will be provided when? I understand we will not be shooting all day every day but will have some amount of downtime between stages?

Shooting what 3 stages per day? AM/PM or alternate shoot rest shoot rest pattern?

I sent the AMU a copy of the schedule about a week ago. They have not posted it on-line, so I am including a copy here

09schedule.pdf

That should answer all your questions about downtime and how many stages you will shoot each day. Now, before everyone starts to comment about the large amount of "non shooting time," please realize that everyone typically has 'one stage on, then one stage off' so that you have time to gather your gear and ammo for the next stage, shoot side matches, browse the vendor tent, watch other squads shoot the stages, etc. Also, additional time was added after stages one & five. These are the 'off site' ranges and we wanted to be sure that travel from the remote ranges did not get you back late for your next stage.

Or am I asking all this to early and it will all become clear at the proper times? (worse did I just miss reading all this somewhere?)

I am not your usual statistician. :D

I do not build squads as the registrations come in. I do not put ANYONE in a squad until about a week before the match. So, no, I do not know who is on your squad. I do not know your squad number. Perhaps I will have the squad list posted around Thanksgiving, but it is more likely to be the Monday before the match. That said, I have always promised to honor squad requests. If you sent a simple request (on the application or via email), like "please squad me with my buddies Bob, Bill and Mark," that is exactly what I will do. There will be 10 or 11 shooters on each squad. If requests result in 23 friends who all want to shoot together (or similar logistical nightmares), I will go by the date of your request.

Now wrapping myself into my 'flame-resistant' cape . . .

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2009 Ft Benning 3 Gun Statistician

Linda,

You are the BEST.

Thank you for the above and for all the rest that you do.

I just needed to be sure when and where. We plan on arriving mid afternoon Thursday so we'll probably sign in at the Range.

No need at all for a flame proof suit for you Linda. Your reputation is flameproof.

Jim

Sure hope we get to shoot 4 stages Friday, 4 Saturday and only 1 Sunday so we can begin the drive home at a decent hour :)

Any shooting schedule is great though - I just wanted to throw my $.02 in.

Stop whining ya big sissy! You will start the drive at the same time we do, only you will get home about 3 hours later! :roflol: Well, maybe not at the exact same time, my finish spot is usually closer to the bottom than yours will be, so WE have to wait a little longer to leave.