Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 - powder spillage

Hi all -

Was very fired up to get my new 1050. Brian has been great and the machine is wonderful BUT.... (forgive me - I'm impatient)

It seems there is so much grease on the plate that every other casing gets hammered by the de-priming pin and puts a nice dent in it because the plate cycles backwards a bit (due to sticking grease???)

The powder die spills several gn each time it cycles. Total mess after a few hundred rounds and I have tired up and down changes from the factory setup.

Now powder is in the whole machine so I will have to tear it down, clean it, and de grease it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Ec

Mine did this right out of the box as well bit it did seem to settle in after a few thousand rounds. In my case, I had to make quite a few changes to the press right away under Dillon tech supports instructions and I also disabled the ratchet mechanism as well. I am not sure if the changes settled down the advance of the shell plate or if the press just worked itself in a bit. I am loading 38supercomp only on my 1050.

I have a pair of 1050s and I don't have any powder spillage issues on either. I load 9mm on one and 38 special on the other. Are you loading powder close to the top of the case? I use VVN320 and my 9mm load takes up about 3/4 of the case, but no spillage with cycling.

On my 38 special, i get a little ring around the primer pocket, from the resizing/decapping station, but no other dents.

Good luck,

Seiichi

Check for the amount of play on the shellplate near the seating station.

Also check to see if the ball bearing next to the seating die is full of grease and stays depressed in it hole. When the ball bearing does not spring back, the shellplate skips some forward and then backwards.

Jerry Snyder

Mine did this right out of the box as well bit it did seem to settle in after a few thousand rounds. In my case, I had to make quite a few changes to the press right away under Dillon tech supports instructions and I also disabled the ratchet mechanism as well. I am not sure if the changes settled down the advance of the shell plate or if the press just worked itself in a bit. I am loading 38supercomp only on my 1050.

+1

I took the Dillon 1050 manual and read it then I had to readjust the press. It was easy for the sametime I also wipe it clean and grease it with the tips of Dillon 1050 manual.

Last weekend I just tear down my Dillon 1050 super after two years of realoading. I clean it and grease it and it work nice again. :cheers:

Yeah - I know most machines need some time to break in, but mine is all full of powder so I will have to clean it up.

My 550B has been spilling lots of BL-C(2) ever since I started loading rifle cartridges on it. It was bad with .223 and now it's even worse with .308 and nothing seems to help. I never had this problem when I loaded handgun ammo on it, no matter what the cartridge or type of powder. It was "tolerable" with .223 but I don't even use the machine to seat primers when I load .308, choosing instead to hand prime them and use the press for powder charging and bullet seating.

Dave Sinko

Don't laugh, but when I got my first 1050 I found a great way to keep it clean without a complete strip down.

Babywipes.

OK, you can laugh a little. They are tough enough to remove grease and powder, and leave a slight lanolin film that doesn't promote rusting.

My boys were newborns at the time, and we were buying the wipes by the case.