Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding a glock 34 slide?

SammyK

How hard is it to find a complete Glock 34 slide? I am thinking about buying one to put on my 17 frame instead of buying a conversion barrel for my G35 or buying a complete G34. Am I going to have so much into a slide that I may be better off buying a new G34? I have looked around a little but not found much in a complete G34 upper. Any suggestions/comments would be much apreciated.

Lone wolf will build pretty much any slide you can imagine. They have a factory G22 slide on their site for $300, but that's the only factory slide listed. You might check their website for more info on the aftermarket slides. www.lonewolfdist.com

Call Greg at Glockmeister. Their in Mesa, AZ. If you plan on shooting USPSA Production division stick with factory slides. Front serrations on the aftermarket ones disallow them for Production***. Prepare to spend something like $400 for a complete G34 upper. You could buy it stripped and complete it yourself with "borrowed" parts from the G17. Should save you a bit.

Last but not least spend the money on sights, a Vanek trigger and shoot your G17. You'll have money left over for ammo. :)

Jim

***at least that was the case when last I checked... <_<

What are you planning on doing with the 34 top/17 lower combo?

I ask because, even though, with the exception of the trigger face, connnector and ejector, the lower is identical in both models, you cannot legally change the receiver in this fashion if you intend to use the gun in USPSA Production Division.

I asked this specific question of John Amidon just last week, in light of the new, proposed clarifications on the Production Division rules, and he said no go. Or, at least, he said no when I asked if I could replace a damaged lower with another from Glock for the same model, noting that that same receiver could be used for other models of the same frame size.

Now, it's true that the only differences are in exchangeable parts, and in the serial numbers, but it is a technical violation of the rules none the less.

eta: The comments above are pretty much on - for basically an extra one hundred and fifty bucks (includes transfer fees) you can have another whole gun instead of just the slide group assembly. Buying just the slide, assuming Glockmeister has them in stock (they did not the last time I asked about six months ago), might save you the waiting period and your "gun of the month" quota, though.

Edited by kevin c

So it would seem that if i want to use it for some IDPA or USPSA, my idea was bad. Sounds like i just shoot the 17, or shoot the 35, or spend a little more money than originally thought and buy a 34. Hmmm, i hate it when i think out loud.

What are you planning on doing with the 34 top/17 lower combo?

I ask because, even though, with the exception of the trigger face, connnector and ejector, the lower is identical in both models, you cannot legally change the receiver in this fashion if you intend to use the gun in USPSA Production Division.

I asked this specific question of John Amidon just last week, in light of the new, proposed clarifications on the Production Division rules, and he said no go. Or, at least, he said no when I asked if I could replace a damaged lower with another from Glock for the same model, noting that that same receiver could be used for other models of the same frame size.

Now, it's true that the only differences are in exchangeable parts, and in the serial numbers, but it is a technical violation of the rules none the less.

That doesn't sound right. The frame/receiver is identical, so what's the problem? I think someone asked is they sould put the new 4th gen receiver on their old 34 and that was a no go since the 34 with the new style frame is not out yet. But a 34/17 frame, who can tell the difference and both are allowed in production division. :huh:

...with the exception of the trigger face, connnector and ejector, the lower is identical in both models, you cannot legally change the receiver in this fashion if you intend to use the gun in USPSA Production Division....

I understand that this this swap isn't legal but you can legally use the 4.5# connector, mag release and slide stop that come on the 34 on a 17. Otherwise like you say, the frames are exactly the same. Well, at least they are on mine. What difference have you seen as far as ejectors and triggers? The only difference in mine are the numbers on the bottm of the dustcovers.

It is perfectly legal in IDPA. Pardon my stupidity, but how in the heck is John Amidon or anyone else going to tell what your receiver started out as? They are identical in every aspect. Once again where has the common sense gone to in this world??? Someone please pass me the Kool-Aid.

Let me make certain I understand this logic. Let's say I had a G22 and I put a G35 slide assembly on it. Are we saying this gun would not now be legal for Production? Can I put a G22 top end on a G35?

You're right, the ejector is the same - my bad, I was thinking of the 40 vs 9mm variants.

The trigger is smooth faced on one version, grooved on the other.

Those parts, and the 4.5 connector, are all available in other models and it's fine to swap them out.

----

Yeah, I know that the receivers are otherwise EXACTLY identical. To me, there shouldn't be any problem using either a replacement receiver from Glock or swapping any small frame receiver one for another. I'm just telling you what JA's response was.

I think NROI is taking the stance that no caliber or models switches are allowed from the base gun, so "no" to turning a G34 into a G35, or turning a G17 into a G34. It seems extreme not to allow a repair back to the base gun, either, but that's what the man said the FAQ addendum to the Production Division rules means.

Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:29 AM

To: John Amidon

Subject: Question on Production...

Hello, John:

It looks as though the Board and NROI went to a lot of trouble to clarify the Production Division rules. Thank you all for the effort, though I am sure there will still be some who won't be satisfied.

If I may ask some specific questions for Glock pistols in Production Division (and hope for a official interpretation to be published):

....Glock receivers for the various small frame pistols are identical save for the exchange of some internal parts. If I were to start with a 9mm G34, and needed to replace the receiver because of damage, would I be allowed to do so (the serial numbers of the OEM slide and the OEM replacement receiver would no longer match, and the basic, stripped receiver would also be the same for the replacement of the G17, G22, G31 and G35 receivers)?....

Hi Kevin,

The FAQ just posted by the BOD on the members site on the web page, addresses your first question, no, it is not legal to do so....

John

It is perfectly legal in IDPA. Pardon my stupidity, but how in the heck is John Amidon or anyone else going to tell what your receiver started out as? They are identical in every aspect. Once again where has the common sense gone to in this world??? Someone please pass me the Kool-Aid.

Let me make certain I understand this logic. Let's say I had a G22 and I put a G35 slide assembly on it. Are we saying this gun would not now be legal for Production? Can I put a G22 top end on a G35?

I'm not saying I agree with the interpretation (I don't), I'm just telliing you how NROI is looking at it.

You're right, of course. The only difference is in the serial #'s on the slide and barrel, and an aftermarket bbl doesn't have any, and replacement of one OEM bbl with another one of the same length and caliber w/ a different serial # is allowed. Absolutely no competitive advantage. Absolutely no difference between a "real" G34 and one you put together from an OEM G34 top end and some other receiver off another small frame model. Absolutely no difference between the damaged receiver on a G17 and the same G17 post replacement, except that now the gun works in its restored factory configuration.

Nobody would know unless you basically made a bald statement to the RO's at the chrono station.

This ruling is quite disturbing. I had to send my G34 frame back to Glock for repair, broken left rear slide rail. Glock sent me a brand new lower with different serial number. This sucked because I had to take it back to the Sheriff's office to get the new lower, reinspected (green carded). I've been shooting this G34 with new frame now for just over a year. My numbers do not match. Now I'm hearing that I do not conform to the new ruling?????

Did I miss something?

You're right, the ejector is the same - my bad, I was thinking of the 40 vs 9mm variants.

The trigger is smooth faced on one version, grooved on the other.

Those parts, and the 4.5 connector, are all available in other models and it's fine to swap them out.

----

Yeah, I know that the receivers are otherwise EXACTLY identical. To me, there shouldn't be any problem using either a replacement receiver from Glock or swapping any small frame receiver one for another. I'm just telling you what JA's response was.

I think NROI is taking the stance that no caliber or models switches are allowed from the base gun, so "no" to turning a G34 into a G35, or turning a G17 into a G34. It seems extreme not to allow a repair back to the base gun, either, but that's what the man said the FAQ addendum to the Production Division rules means.

Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:29 AM

To: John Amidon

Subject: Question on Production...

Hello, John:

It looks as though the Board and NROI went to a lot of trouble to clarify the Production Division rules. Thank you all for the effort, though I am sure there will still be some who won't be satisfied.

If I may ask some specific questions for Glock pistols in Production Division (and hope for a official interpretation to be published):

....Glock receivers for the various small frame pistols are identical save for the exchange of some internal parts. If I were to start with a 9mm G34, and needed to replace the receiver because of damage, would I be allowed to do so (the serial numbers of the OEM slide and the OEM replacement receiver would no longer match, and the basic, stripped receiver would also be the same for the replacement of the G17, G22, G31 and G35 receivers)?....

Hi Kevin,

The FAQ just posted by the BOD on the members site on the web page, addresses your first question, no, it is not legal to do so....

John

I don't think JA understood what you where asking. From the USPSA members Production FAQ...

5) I have a Glock-17, and I know that the Glock-34 is an approved gun in the same caliber. May I put a Glock-34 barrel into my Glock-17?

ANSWER: NO. Glock has never offered a Glock-17 with that barrel length. Using a Glock-34 barrel would make your gun a “new/unapproved model” which would not be legal for USPSA Production Division.

I added the emphasis on barrel. Two totally different questions, I think we are talking apples and oranges here. There is no difference in the receivers of 17/34/22/35 so I see no harm in being able to do a switche-a-roo and shoot a 34 one week and a 17 the next. Yes, I know the 9mm conversion in the 35 has already been said no-go since glock never made a 35 in 9mm, the 35 only comes in .40. If I had pointy ears, I'd have to say illogical. :rolleyes:

Edited by HoMiE

I love rules that at best extremely challenge SOs and at worse complicate shooters' minds. Come on... we're not talking about conversion barrels here... we're talking about virtually completely stock guns. If I had a G17 and put a 34 upper on the 17 frame who the heck would know? The only difference is the s/n stampings... that's it!

:rolleyes: Oh LORD!!!

If it is the same frame in both make, appearance and weight...shoot it.

If it's a frame of different make or its stock appearance has been altered or weight added/removed, you're shooting Open.

Just remember, conversions and caliber changes are a NO GO.

It's up to you the shooter to be fair. It's not the RO or USPSA's job to police everything. First and foremost they

have muzzles to keep down range.

Jim

BTW the G17 and G34 have the same trigger. Both are smooth.

Hmm. I guess I better check again, but I was told, and got some, that were smooth faced and others grooved. I thought there was some import requirement difference. Mebbe that's gone now.

eta: Email in to JA pm yest, will post response.

kc

Edited by kevin c

I guess I better check again, but I was told, and got some, that were smooth faced and others grooved. I thought there was some import requirement difference. Mebbe that's gone now.

eta: Email in to JA pm yest, will post response.

kc

You find the "ridged" trigger on the compact and sub-compact Glock models. The BATF considers this a "target trigger" which gives the shorter barreled Glocks just enough BATF points to be allowed for import. The full sized Glocks do not need the additional BATF points from the target trigger due to their longer barrel length.

Okay guys, here is where i am at.

I called a few places and it seems that for a complete G34 Upper barrel and all, I will be in the $400-$450 range. I did call places everyone recomended. I do want to keep my slide for my G17 as well. So for what it is going to cost me for an upper I am going to hold off and go for a new G34 so there is no question on any of it. Meanwhile i will continue to use the G17 for now and see where things take me. I was assuming i might be able to find a used upper in the beginning. Thanks for all of the info.

Ah, thanks.

Gotta stop typing w/o tickling the brain cells first :rolleyes: .

(no response yet from JA)

Kevin,

the trigger wouldn't matter in any event --- since the sub-compacts are on the production list as well, and you can swap a part from one approved model to another approved model from the same manufacturer....

Lone Wolf Distributers all the way the have a really neat aftermarket slide

with anled cocking serrations both front and rear.

You can purchase a bare slide and add your own components or purchase

a conplete slide ready to rack and fire out of the box.