Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun broker 625 prices

adweisbe

$1075 :surprise:

A local dealer can get me a new PC 625 for $1040 so I knew going in that was my limit. I can't see why someone would pay that much unless their requirements were as specific as mine (frame mounted firing pin, bone stock, normal length cylinder).

If only S&W made these in .45ACP.

Edited by adweisbe

I've handled, worked on, and shot plenty of the 5.25" PC 625s, but have never seen any reason to switch from my trusty "regular" full-lug 5" 625s, MIM parts and all. In my view, there is no huge practical advantage to either option, although if forced to pick, I think the bit of extra weight you get with the full lug and "heavy" cylinder in the stock 5" guns is a little better for keeping major power ammo under control.

Found one (NIB 625-8) for you for $599. I sent the link in a PM to you. You better hurry, because I'm seriously thinking about revolver when I heal up. I'm in no way connected to the sell of that pistol, other than maybe buying it if you don't. :D

I keep looking and they have a used one for $549.

Is something wrong with the 625-8?

Sorry, I missed that you are looking for the PC 625.

Edited by North

The only thing wrong with the 625-8 seems to be that people think MIM is made of marshmallow creme, locks constantly self-engage, and hammer-mounted firing pins are somehow bombproof. I know Carmoney prefers MIM parts and a frame mounted firing pin for his action jobs.

Having said that, my 625-3 has no lock, no MIM, and a hammer-mounted firing pin, but that's just because that's what Carmoney had when I wanted to buy one from him.

I wonder about those Gunbroker prices, Guy on the S&W forum said 625-3 3 inch went for over 1500, I have one and joked it could be bought for that much if it was real money. Nobody took the offer up. 1500 you could buy a collectible short barrel big bore Smith and a new 625 both.

Did the sale at 1500 actually go through ? who knows.

Boats

I am actually not looking for the PC 625. The PC 625 uses a shorter cylinder so you can't have one of those whiz bang titanium cylinders put in.

The auction I was talking about wasn't for the PC 625 model.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124569828

I know it's only a matter of time until one turns up, but it is still surprising seeing what some people are willing to pay.

Edited by adweisbe

I am actually not looking for the PC 625. The PC 625 uses a shorter cylinder so you can't have one of those whiz bang titanium cylinders put in.

The auction I was talking about wasn't for the PC 625 model.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124569828

I know it's only a matter of time until one turns up, but it is still surprising seeing what some people are willing to pay.

If you are looking for a race ready revolver and you can't go wrong on the price, look at this.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80719

Is something wrong with the 625-8?

The only think "wrong" with the 625-8 is that they all have chambers that are too tight--some just a little tight, some so tight they bind up the gun. I think the factory's reaming equipment is getting worn out or something.

Anyway, the fix is to simply ream the chambers back to SAAMI spec with a Clymer finishing reamer. (This is exactly what we did with the original run of 625-2s back in 1988, by the way). When I do an action job on a 625-8 I just go ahead and automatically ream the chambers, and so far I haven't found a cylinder on a 625-8 where my reamer hasn't removed at least some metal.

Otherwise, the 625-8s are perfectly fine.

I think the 3inch edition was a limited run. Maybe that is why they wanted a premium.

Jerry

3"? It could have been three inch. I didn't look at it much. Someone told me it was a 5" gun, when I got to the store and saw it wasn't and the price, I kept on moving.

I think the 3inch edition was a limited run. Maybe that is why they wanted a premium.

Jerry

3"? It could have been three inch. I didn't look at it much. Someone told me it was a 5" gun, when I got to the store and saw it wasn't and the price, I kept on moving.

The 3" guns seem to be commanding a price but no where near what I have been offered for my 3" 610 :surprise: