Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50yd draw

mike cyrwus

I was shooting at some 1/2 size IPSC plates at 50yds last Tuesday, and I decided to time my draws. I suprised myself in that it wasnt but a few tenths off from my 25yd times. I was consistently dinging it around 1.4sec and I was getting consistent splits at .30 sec.

It did a lot to remind me that a spot is a spot is a spot, no matter how far or close it is. :cheers:

I try to keep my draw speed the same no matter what the distance to the target is. But the time to the first shot will be different. My trigger press is a lot different for 50yrds than it is for 10.

+1 Your draw speed should always be the same, you just take an extra half second to get a good sight picture and slower cadence.

When the guys who know what they're doing at Bianchi shoot at 50, I'm betting their first shot times are near 3-4 seconds (and they're going from standing surrender to prone). I've never timed the first shot, but Tony, Bruce, Doug, TGO, etc. use all of the time given (7 seconds, 1 rd each target, 2 targets) to make those shots. Last shots typically are taken at 5.8-6.3 seconds.

Hitting a target at 50? Not too difficult (not that easy, either). Hitting an A-zone and calling it - 3-4 seconds. Same for a Bianchi X ring.