Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please post your 121gr IFP load (.38 Super)

Fullauto_Shooter

I've got a case of the MG 121gr IFPs and want to query the collective BEnos knowledge base for starting load ideas. I'll listen to whatever advice you give, but really need recommendations for the following powders:

N350

3N37

I'm thinking the following loads should put me in the 170PF ballpark with a COL of 1.250 (shooting a Trubor with 3 popple-holes)

8.1gr N350

8.4gr 3N37

9.1gr 4756

Thoughts or suggestions??

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

7.6 of 7625 two years I am changing to HS 6 still have some crono work but looks like 8.5

the lens on the Cmore gets cloudy with 7625

Thanks Jamie - I noticed the same lens cloudiness with 4756 after 100 or so rounds. Also noticed that the gas from the popple-holes are destroying the Dawson CMore blast shield face (luckily it's replaceable).

In my Bedell shorty (no holes) I used 7.9gr of N350 at 1.235" and it was usually 170-172pf. I haven't loaded any with the 121IFP, but 3N37 is normally very close to N350.

I also loaded the 121s with 10.0gr of 3N38 and it was 178pf so I backed it down to 9.5gr and got 170pf.

In collecting all the data I could find I saw several folks list 4756 loads in Trubor's using 9.1gr and a 115gr MG, so you might not have to go quite that high with the 121. One person listed 8.7gr with a 125gr JHP in a Trubor. Other folks in unknown guns listed anywhere from 8.2gr to 9.0 with a 124. I'd probably give 8.5gr a try first and see what you get. R,

the lens on the Cmore gets cloudy with 7625

Thanks Jamie - I noticed the same lens cloudiness with 4756 after 100 or so rounds.

Uh, guys? You don't carry something to clean the lens with? A towel? Your shirt? Something? :rolleyes: You think those two powders cloud it up, you should try N105! :lol:

Also noticed that the gas from the popple-holes are destroying the Dawson CMore blast shield face (luckily it's replaceable).

That's what its there for ;)

9.1 sounds about right-ish for 4756 as a starting load, FWIW. Depends on the lot, of course. I haven't loaded 121s with the other powders, personally.

In collecting all the data I could find I saw several folks list 4756 loads in Trubor's using 9.1gr and a 115gr MG, so you might not have to go quite that high with the 121. One person listed 8.7gr with a 125gr JHP in a Trubor. Other folks in unknown guns listed anywhere from 8.2gr to 9.0 with a 124. I'd probably give 8.5gr a try first and see what you get. R,

Definitely lot dependent. In the last lot of 4756 I've got, it takes 9.2 for a 125 ;)

I am shooting MG 121's and they are working well for me - here is my load.

MG 121 IFB

VV - N105 - 10.3 grains

FED Small Pistol

Gun - Trubor Custom Benny Hill Gun with 3 large barrel ports.

Shoots snappy but does not push in your hand dot tracks well and N105 seems to be more accurate than the other powder I was using.

MG 121 IFB

VV - N105 - 10.3 grains

FED Small Pistol

Shoots snappy but does not push in your hand dot tracks well and N105 seems to be more accurate than the other powder I was using.

Something must be working well Kevin - it was good enough for you to make Master!!

Thanks everyone - for all the feedback. Still open for further comments and suggestions on favorite 121gr IFP loads.

MG 121 IFB

VV - N105 - 10.3 grains

FED Small Pistol

Kevin,

How are the small pistol primers working for you in that load? I'm down to my last 5k of Fed small rifle primers and was thinking about trying the SP's since SR's are nowhere to be found!

Thomas

MG 121 IFB

VV - N105 - 10.3 grains

FED Small Pistol

Kevin,

How are the small pistol primers working for you in that load? I'm down to my last 5k of Fed small rifle primers and was thinking about trying the SP's since SR's are nowhere to be found!

Thomas

With my load they flatten the primer but do not expand the pocket or flow so they work great and I know when someone tries to my get brass :rolleyes:

Edited by KGentry