Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono...bad weather

boz1911

Ok, a little thread drift since I believe the original question has been answered.

Has anybody ever heard of an RM adjusting chrono readings because of weather conditions?

For example: Say it was very cold and raining and chrono readings made some people's major ammo go minor instead of major and minor ammo go under minimum. The RM then deemed due to weather conditions the chrono was giving false readings and therefore a certain number of points would be added to the competitors actual reading. ie: ammo that measured 162 would have 3 points added and recorded as 165.

Ok, a little thread drift since I believe the original question has been answered.

Has anybody ever heard of an RM adjusting chrono readings because of weather conditions?

For example: Say it was very cold and raining and chrono readings made some people's major ammo go minor instead of major and minor ammo go under minimum. The RM then deemed due to weather conditions the chrono was giving false readings and therefore a certain number of points would be added to the competitors actual reading. ie: ammo that measured 162 would have 3 points added and recorded as 165.

No. this is the only option available to the RM per Appendix C2...

18. For single chronograph configurations, or whenever one of the dual chronographs fails and cannot be replaced, the single functioning chronograph is subject to subsequent daily verification check. Specifically:

a. On each of the following days, the process specified in Item 16 will be repeated using the same firearm and ammunition supply.

b. The chronograph is deemed to be within tolerance if the daily average is within +/- 4% of the first day’s average.

20. If the Range Master determines that variances or malfunctions make further testing unreliable or impossible, the power factors of

competitors who have been successfully tested will stand. The power factors declared by all competitors who have not been tested will be accepted without challenge, subject to any applicable Division requirements.

Frank

According to my handy microsoft provided calculator, a chrono that registered 165 on Friday could range from 158.4 to 171.6 and still be deemed workable. (165*.04= 6.6 added and subtracted gives 171.6 and 158.4 respectively)

Although it is what it is, as per the listed appendix, it seems a bit wide to me. :surprise:

dj

According to my handy microsoft provided calculator, a chrono that registered 165 on Friday could range from 158.4 to 171.6 and still be deemed workable. (165*.04= 6.6 added and subtracted gives 171.6 and 158.4 respectively)

Although it is what it is, as per the listed appendix, it seems a bit wide to me. :surprise:

dj

Even though it's for the daily average 4% is a lot. If they were going to average a days worth of shooters, I would think 4/10ths of a percent would be more appropriate.

Edited by boz1911

What if it was the RM's ammo that didn't make major??

If you are talking the calibration ammo then it shouldn't make major and only barely make minor if it makes it at all:

Calibration Ammunition:

13. A sufficient supply of match calibration ammunition must be available and

used to calibrate steel targets and (when necessary) verify the match chronograph.

14. To assure consistency, the match calibration ammunition should be comprised

of ammunition from the same lot. 9x19mm is the recommended caliber.

15. The ammunition, as fired through each designated handgun, should achieve

a power factor between 115.0 and 125.0.

Emphasis added by me.

Now, if the RM went minor with his match ammo and subsequently made his bizarro world ruling then there is a bigger issue that probably needs to be reported to NROI so corrective measures can be undertaken. At the very least, the person acting as RM needs to spend some quality time with a current edition of the rulebook.

OK, I'll revise the original scenario. What if it was the RM's ammo that didn't make major?? Then the chrono "adjustment" call was made...hmmmmmm

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm. :angry:

By the rules quoted previously, he should have sucked it up and shot minor. Sometime the appearence of wrongdoing is as bad as the actual wrongdoing.

It's actually velocity +/- 4%, not PF, but the idea is the same. I wanted less (I helped write a lot of the new chrono rules), but the chrono Mfgs won't promise more.

The manufacturer supplied tolerances are one of the reasons why I tend to think that the act of chrono'ing ammo (which ends up being equal to roughly 10% of match score) has the potential to be a sick joke... ;)

:surprise::wacko:

I would have had to ask the "RM" to show me the rule which allowed that.

:surprise::wacko:

I would have had to ask the "RM" to show me the rule which allowed that.

You can bet if I was present during a situation like I described, the rulebook would be flying out of my bag.. :ph34r: