Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Undercharging the AR-15 in .223

rr4406pak

I'm trying to get my AR-15 to shoot softer using W748.

I started out with the minimum load for a 55gr bullet (24.6gr of 748 in the Lyman manual).

I want to try and get is softer shooting so I loaded up 100 at 23gr 748.

This is under the minimum amount so I was wondering if I'm entering dangerous territory. Am I at risk of pressure spikes or something weird going on?

I have an adjustable gas block on the rifle so I can tune the action so it still functions correctly with the reduced charge.

Let me know you opinions on "undercharging".

Thanks.

200th post! WOo Hoo!

Edited by rr4406pak

I currently don't have an accuracy problem.

I use one load for the up close stuff and a different (full power) load for the long range stages.

On the up close hoser stuff I want to recover from the recoil faster so I can go faster.

I shot this junk Wolf stuff once and it was sooooooo soft.

I burned the stage down. It was great.

New Wolf doesn't shoot that nice.

I've been trying to replicate that soft load ever since.

Instead of worrying about having a "soft shooting" rifle, why not be more concerned about an ACCURATE shooting rifle?

Rich

+1 a couple of times

It's a 223, one step up from a popgun. Put a comp on the rifle if you don't want the sights to move.

Use a full powder charge. You will get more powder burning in the comp and out in front of the barrel. This will help with muzzle recovery more than a POS Dusty Bunny Fart load. After that, working on controlling the rifle better will take the rest of the muzzle issues out of the rifle.

After a couple of particular matches, you'll see that 1 load all around might be better. 69gr. SMK's at 2950 all the time!

Rich

Use a full powder charge. You will get more powder burning in the comp and out in front of the barrel. This will help with muzzle recovery more than a POS Dusty Bunny Fart load. After that, working on controlling the rifle better will take the rest of the muzzle issues out of the rifle.

After a couple of particular matches, you'll see that 1 load all around might be better. 69gr. SMK's at 2950 all the time!

Rich

+1 to that. I recently upped my powder charge in my 55 gr. load for just that reason. My VERY hot 69 gr. load had a lot less muzzle jump. Wasted gas is a big plus for a comp. I'd go for maximum amount of powder in that hoser ammo. Your comp will love you for it.

... This is under the minimum amount so I was wondering if I'm entering dangerous territory. Am I at risk of pressure spikes or something weird going on?

It's possible.

One of my friends was using Tac for .223 with 75's that had a charge that was under the recommended charge. I didn't see it but he says he suffered "2 catastrophic failures".

Win 296 is sorta well-known as a powder that has a potential for going kablooey when less than the recommended charge weight was used.

I shot this junk Wolf stuff once and it was sooooooo soft.

I burned the stage down. It was great.

New Wolf doesn't shoot that nice.

I've been trying to replicate that soft load ever since.

You ARE onto something. There are no shots past 80 yards - at least around here. NY state is probably the same way - 90 to 100% under 100 yards. I shoot the Richmond match, and sometimes Blackwater (no shots over 100). Wolf is REALLY soft shooting & fast; I have some of the older 62grn FMJ like yours. At close ranges like we shoot? Speed = win.

Besides, you can save the really accurate stuff for longer stages or those "key shaped" steel targets at 80 yards.

As far as "manly, full power 223 loads" ?? The other guys at the Richmond match used that (556 NATO actually). I kicked most of them in the kiester using Wolf (and I am a really bad shot). You more interested in winning or being manly?

Edited by Carlos

Carlos is right. Got to travel to find a range capable of more than 200 yrds.

Most rifle stages are run in pistol bays. Most shots are under 20 yrds.

Accuracy is just about irrelevant. :(

You should be just fine, a few grains below min. I agree and disagree with most of these posts. softest shooting doesn't always mean fastest, and on the other hand fastest, most powder, doesn't always mean flat shooting. I have found that a point of diminishing return is found at both ends of the spectrum. To soft makes for a mushy feeling gun. To fast might induce a side to side bounce ....not muzzle jump that is taken care of by the comp. If wolf worked great for you, match it,s velocity with your reload and be happy, no matter what that charge weight might be. KurtM

Good suggestions in this thread, thanks!

I'm such a moron. Forgot to think about the comp and how it reacts to additional gas.

I think I'll try loads at either end of the spectrum and see what works.